Old 05-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v5.977+dev0506 - May 6 2019

v5.977+dev0506 - May 6 2019
  • + MIDI editor: add option to display note length in velocity lane
  • + MIDI editor: fix incorrect CC event drawing when coloring notes by velocity
  • + Theme: fix grid line draw mode loading/saving on macOS/Linux
  • + linux: use realtime for reaper_host_xxx if REAPER running realtime
  • # MIDI editor: fix hit testing in secondary media items
  • # MIDI editor: more drawing tweaks for velocity and CC lanes
  • # MIDI editor: note velocity selection improvements
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
SoundCloudFR: True Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
ovnis

reaper5977+dev0506_x64-install

This issue (I can't draw CC with the drag mouse inside a inactive item) happens less frequently than before:

This issue (I can't draw point with the double click inside an inactive item) is not solved:
ovnis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
This issue (I can't draw CC with the drag mouse inside a inactive item) happens less frequently than before:
With the default mouse modifier of "edit selected CC events if any, otherwise draw/edit", if there is a selected CC event anywhere in the lane, in any media item, then you won't be able to draw in other media items.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
ovnis

Quote:
With the default mouse modifier of "edit selected CC events if any, otherwise draw/edit", if there is a selected CC event anywhere in the lane, in any media item, then you won't be able to draw in other media items.
Yes. But in my captcha when I can't draw CC, before this, I haven't selected any CC.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
ovnis

1/ I unselect all the points
2/ drag mouse.
3/ bug...

Old 05-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Do you have this enabled?

schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
[*]+ Theme: fix grid line draw mode loading/saving on macOS/Linux
I mentioned an issue in the V6 theme thread where gridlines had their draw mode set to Dodge @ -1.88, etc. Is this that?
Lokasenna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
Tod

This is starting to look good. We now have the option for no velocity bars in the velocity lane. Also by clicking on the bar underneath the note will select the velocity for that note.

Now how hard would it be to be able to choose the length of the bars? something like:

Note Length
1/6th
8th
Quarter

Old 05-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
EvilDragon

Velocity handles still have the problem that Tod outlined.

This is not supposed to happen. Notes that have the same start time but different velocities, if edited via the note length handle, should only edit the note closest to the handle. Also there's no logical explanation for why the preceeding note gets its velocity changed when its handle wasn't even touched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
Does this mean there is now an option to not see the note lengths in the velocity lane?
What else could it mean?
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #10
EvilDragon

Bug: Velocity matchsticks don't colorize at all when in Pitch color mode.

Also, not sure if I'm exactly fond of the gradient on the stem of the velocity lollipops. Or the fact that they have the same thickness now as the lollipop head.

Why is the "source" color used for selected events in Media Item or Track color modes? It doesn't look good at all.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #11
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Also, not sure if I'm exactly fond of the gradient on the stem of the velocity lollipops. Or the fact that they have the same thickness now as the lollipop head.
I agree that the gradient isn't good, if this is going to be implemented this way can we please have an option in theme tweaker to turn this on and off? When off, the velocities and CCs should be drawn using a single row of the colour map, which I believe is how this worked in earlier dev releases.

This is getting visually overwrought, and using all the rows of the colour map (the gradient in other words) results in unnecessary vertical information in the drawing of these elements (gradients, shading etc, while they look good on the notes, look terrible on the CCs and velocities). I personally think this should be done away with completely, but at the very least please make it optional, for velocities and CCs both.

=======

I also agree that the stem thickness is not ideal. Looks like the stem goes from semi transparent 3 pixel width to semi transparent 5 pixel width. The 5 pixel width looks like too much, I get that it allows the gradient of the midi note colour map to be drawn in the interior of the stem, but at the least ED and I (and others?) agree that using the midi note colour map gradient is a bad idea to begin with, and it just looks too wide at 5 pixels. We are getting back to the old velocity bars with this implementation. The thinner, the better, really.

I like how the horizontal velocity handle is being drawn in this release, first it is 1 pixel weight, and then it is 3 pixel weight. This is exactly how I think the vertical stems should be treated, which would be both consistent and effective. 1 pixel line when unselected, 3 pixels when selected. Simple and easy.

This would allow the selection to be easily seen for those of us who use themes where the colour of the note/CC/velocity does not change based on selection. With line weight change, we are able to use whatever midi note colour map approach we like, without sacrificing the ability to easily see velocity selection.

If a given theme (such as default 5/6) makes selected notes/velocities/CCs brighter when selected, then none of these questions of shape and line weight are really crucial because it is already obvious which are selected and which are not, so why not cater to those themes where it is crucial?

ED, I know this is contrary to your position that elements should not change shape based on selection, but I would argue that such a change in the weight of the velocity lollipops when selected does not have a practical impact on their ux purpose.

=======

Another thought I have is that any transparency in the velocity lollipops is superfluous. They are already thin stemmed which allows us to see velocities that were hidden behind one another using the old bars method. So if the transparency is being implemented for that reason, it is unnecessary because that has been solved by the change to lollipops.

If the transparency is being implemented as an additional way to make the selection more obvious, then please provide a theme tweaker entry for this. Even better would be if it was a full blend/alpha mode dialog entry (best would be if we had one for velocity and CCs separately). That way, we could turn it off or change the degree of transparency according to the needs of the theme (using "add," in particular, on the transparent fill of the CC lane would be very effective, especially for dark themes)

Last edited by Commala; 05-06-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:58 PM   #12
ovnis

I agree with you.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
xpander

Quote:
Velocity handles still have the problem that Tod outlined.
I get this kinda behavior too, but with different conditions. If I click and drag on the horizontal bar, it works like I'd imagine it should and like Tod has mentioned; the nearest velocity bar to the left gets selected and adjusted.

But if I click and drag the area under any horizontal bar, then no CC gets visually selected (highlighted), and I get what you show in that gif.
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #14
juliansader

Wow, the MIDI editor is starting to look quite beautiful with the rainbows of transparent gradient colors.

How are the CC colors selected when in
* Pitch or Velocity mode, and
* Source mode?

Bug: When the mouse modifier for <MIDI CC event -> left drag -> Default action> is changed to Edit CC events, the mouse cursor remains the default 4-pointed arrow instead of the pen, when leftdragging.

At present, CC drawing doesn't follow the setting <MIDI editor -> Events per quarter note when drawing in CC lane>. Is this intentional?

Quote:
Why is the "source" color used for selected events in Media Item or Track color modes? It doesn't look good at all.
Not only does it look bad, it also leads to confusion when editing multiple items. In particular, different items on the same track have different source/selected colors, so it is difficult for the user to see which events belong to which track.

Last edited by juliansader; 05-06-2019 at 01:56 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #15
mccrabney

just tested for it and i'm not getting that behavior from ED's gif.

i did just get a crash -- will try to reproduce it...

the transparent velocity flags for midi elsewhere in the project look awesome! i do like how they look now, with the thicker stem, but i'm not picky about it.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #16
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
At present, CC drawing doesn't follow the setting <MIDI editor -> Events per quarter note when drawing in CC lane>. Is this intentional?
If snap is enabled it'll follow grid, if not, it follows that setting. Works as supposed to methinks.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:08 PM   #17
EvilDragon

The most obvious problem with the stem as it is now: it looks like a different color when it's directly over a gridline, vs when it isn't. See my GIF. It's a bit weird. Both events are not selected yet they look different for no good reason.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #18
Klangfarben

I'm not sure what others think, but I think if you don't have a note selected in the Piano Roll and you go into the velocity lane and edit a velocity, the velocity bar/handle should highlight - and probably the note too. That would help with workflow/visibility I think.

Klangfarben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #19
EvilDragon

Agreed, selection should be linked between piano roll and velocity lane areas.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #20
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
I'm not sure what others think, but I think if you don't have a note selected in the Piano Roll and you go into the velocity lane and edit a velocity, the velocity bar/handle should highlight - and probably the note too. That would help with workflow/visibility I think.
I can't see any down side to that idea. Would that be related to a mouse modifier then?
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #21
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
I can't see any down side to that idea. Would that be related to a mouse modifier then?
I think they should just always be linked by default. ED what do you think?
Old 05-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #22
srdmusic

Dev0505 is majorly flawed visually in the CC lanes. I can't see the CC data nor the velocities. I always want velocities to be the same color velocity colors as the notes.

In my Midi color map my velocities are a gradient from grey at low velocity to bright orange at high velocity. All the velocities are now the same dark grey.

Do I need to re-edit my midi color map or something. Or is there some sort of new option I need to uncheck?

Reaper Dev0505

Reaper Dev0506

Last edited by srdmusic; 05-07-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #23
Tod

Quote:
I'm not showing that problem here. Both the note and the Velocity bar show up highlited when I click on either the lollipop or the velocity bar.

Windows 7, a portable 64 install, Reaper 5 default.

Or am I missing something.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #24
nofish

Quote:
Should do if you enable
Mouse modifiers -> MIDI CC lane -> left click/drag -> (tickbox at bottom): Allow selecting a single event...

(does here at least)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #25
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Should do if you enable
Mouse modifiers -> MIDI CC lane -> left click/drag -> (tickbox at bottom): Allow selecting a single event...

(does here at least)
Thanks nofish. That does indeed work. I just don't want that for all CC lanes though. Velocity lane is kind of a different animal.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:44 AM   #26
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
How are the CC colors selected when in
* Pitch or Velocity mode, and
To answer my own question: they seem to follow channel color, which is good, since it squeezes more useful information into the display (and was a Feature Request before).
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #27
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I mentioned an issue in the V6 theme thread where gridlines had their draw mode set to Dodge @ -1.88, etc. Is this that?
Yeah, this fixes that for macOS/linux. The downside is that if a theme was saved with macOS/linux REAPER v5.972-5.977, those blend modes will not load properly.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #28
_Stevie_

I think what Klangfarben means is:

WHILE dragging, highlight the note, that is being altered.

That would indeed be very handy. But I would suggest to only temporarily
select that note, because otherwise a previous note selection would be cleared.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #29
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
WHILE dragging, highlight the note, that is being altered.

That would indeed be very handy. But I would suggest to only temporarily
select that note, because otherwise a previous note selection would be cleared.
Yes, thanks. That would be an ideal way of working.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #30
nofish

I'm not sure about this behaviour, I'd think it's too easy to do unintentionally:
No notes selected, click+drag under an overlapping vel. line, the velocities stick together.

Last edited by nofish; 05-06-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #31
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
v5.977+dev0506 - May 6 2019
[list][*]+ MIDI editor: add option to display note length in velocity lane
Does this mean there is now an option to not see the note lengths in the velocity lane?
Old 05-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #32
nofish

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: add option to display note length in velocity lane
Thanks for keeping forum peace intact. :P
Could it also be added as ME toggle action for assigning shortcut / toolbar please? (so far I haven't found it in ME action list at least).