Old 10-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #1
Grank
Human being with feelings

Default VLC install path...

...uh, what?
Why would my VLC install path ever be C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\VLC?
I have VLC installed, but obviously not to a folder below my REAPER install folder...
I haven't seen anything that says to do something as specific and weird as that, so I feel like it's not supposed to be this way...?
Attached Images
File Type: png vlcpath.png (5.2 KB, 27 views)
Grank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
solger

Installing VLC in the same bit-version as Reaper is usually sufficient:
  • Reaper 64-bit >> VLC 64-bit
  • Reaper 32-bit >> VLC 32-bit

Have you already double-checked if the bit-versions are matching?
Or tried to reinstall VLC?

In addition, it's recommended to install the FFMPEG libraries as well for additional codec support: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=82459
Old 10-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #3
serr

VLC player gives you a simple disk image volume with the app file and a shortcut to the Applications folder. (Probably a shortcut to the Program Files folder for the Windows version.) If the app file ended up somewhere else, it would have been wherever you drag/dropped it.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
Grank

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Installing VLC in the same bit-version as Reaper
Good call; I only had the 32-bit version installed. Apparently, VLC (at least, 3.0.8 on windows) doesn't indicate this in any way; there's no difference in the Help->About between the x86 and x64, the only way I can even tell is that one is in /Program Files/ and one is in /Program Files (x86)/.
Cooool, coolcoolcool... I should probably ask/submit that to VLC.

Anyway, now video decoder information says

Code:
========== VLC ==========
VLC v3.0.x
Loaded from: C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC
And that's great, thank you for helping me!

But when VLC wasn't found, what it said was

Code:
VLC install path not found, install VLC 2.1.x-v3.0.x
Search paths: 
C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\VLC
C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\VLC.

That's clearly not correct, since it found it in the normal canonical install path once it was installed (and I'm not sure why it would be looking in a subdir below the REAPER install location as that seems an unusual manual installation selection), so I think this is a variable typo?
At the least, it's suuuper-confusing when someone doesn't realize their issue is bit depth compatibility, not REAPER only searching an unexpected path.
What else would the point be of listing "Search paths:"? Obviously it searched other paths and found the binaries it needed.
Is this something that could be corrected/clarified in a subsequent version perhaps, so the next hapless fool isn't as confused as I am?
Grank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
serr

My guess is Reaper would default to looking inside the app bundle for video codecs and you're thus seeing that as the last place it searched.

The Reaper app file is actually a bundle FYI.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grank View Post
<snip>

But when VLC wasn't found, what it said was

Code:
VLC install path not found, install VLC 2.1.x-v3.0.x
Search paths: 
C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\VLC
C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\VLC.

That's clearly not correct, since it found it in the normal canonical install path once it was installed (and I'm not sure why it would be looking in a subdir below the REAPER install location as that seems an unusual manual installation selection), so I think this is a variable typo?
At the least, it's suuuper-confusing when someone doesn't realize their issue is bit depth compatibility, not REAPER only searching an unexpected path.
What else would the point be of listing "Search paths:"? Obviously it searched other paths and found the binaries it needed.
Is this something that could be corrected/clarified in a subsequent version perhaps, so the next hapless fool isn't as confused as I am?
I'd say that this indicates that Reaper was looking for the 64-bit VLC and could not find it. Thus, if you are sure that you have VLC installed, this shows that you have the wrong bit version of it. Maybe it could instead ask "Do you have the 64-bit version of VLC installed?", but the developers obviously though that showing that search path would be good enough.

I have VLC installed in that path, BTW portable Reaper, portable VLC.