Old 10-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
vdubreeze
Human being with feelings

Default Looping, looping, I no wanta looping alla tha time

A couple of things that are a PITA if you're someone who never wants loop based recording or editing:

1) Turning off "loop source" doesn't stop the edges from extending beyond the actual file boundaries with silence. OK, you get the visual notch at the top when you go past it, but that's not a non-looping file to me. Give me an option to have the file edges go no further than they are. Locking isn't a solution because then you can't bring the edges in.

2) All glued items are looped by default and can't be changed. So I'm constantly unlocking glued files before they come back to BMITA. Which wouldn't be so bad, except....

3) There's an action "Item properties: Loop item source" but not one to "turn off loop item source"! : ) Is there?

It's not that I never EVER use loops, but when I do I still don't want the files to loop by themselves. If I have a track with a loop in it I can use a track function to have a looping section. I'd rather copy and paste a file over 100 bars anyway, because then it's so much simpler to change one part when it happens in the song without it changing it in every instance of a looping item. I know there are ways to do it, but like a lot of things, it's more complicated than just doing it the old fashioned way : )
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:23 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

1: It doesn't loop, though, right? Not sure where it would be usefull to constraint item length to source length, but if you say it would, I'm not against an option to do so. While I rarely use item loops, I do lengthen an item eg if I have a delay plugin in the take fx slot and want it to ring out properly. So I most likely would have this option disabled, personally.

2: Yep, I agree that's weird. Workaround is to use a custom action for glue:

- Item: Glue items
- Item properties: Loop item source

You'll need to create a separate macro for all flavors of glue you use (for example "Glue, ignoring time selection").
It works, because the items created by glue will be selected and because they will reliably have loop source enabled.
"Loop item source" is a toggle, which answers part 3 of your question.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
vdubreeze
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
1: It doesn't loop, though, right? Not sure where it would be usefull to constraint item length to source length, but if you say it would, I'm not against an option to do so. While I rarely use item loops, I do lengthen an item eg if I have a delay plugin in the take fx slot and want it to ring out properly. So I most likely would have this option disabled, personally.
It's just one of those things where I want a looped file to loop and and non looped file to not do anything : ) It's not bad, though, except for having settings for no looping and looped files still show up when glued. The more I get used to files that extend with silence beyond their boundaries the easier it is to have mistakes if something becomes looped. For example, where a crossfade at the end of a file plays a speck of audio from its beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post

2: Yep, I agree that's weird. Workaround is to use a custom action for glue:

- Item: Glue items
- Item properties: Loop item source

You'll need to create a separate macro for all flavors of glue you use (for example "Glue, ignoring time selection").
It works, because the items created by glue will be selected and because they will reliably have loop source enabled.
"Loop item source" is a toggle, which answers part 3 of your question.
THANK YOU, KIND SIR !!! I didn't get that it was a toggle! I have overridden my glue action to have those both.

vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote