Old 01-13-2006, 02:07 AM   #1
malcolmj
Human being with feelings

Default Windows XP x64

Hi,

I tried to install Reaper v0.44 on my machine running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

The installation ran smoothly and Reaper installed correctly into the "Program Files (x86)" directory, but when I try to run the program it locks up my machine.

Is the program meant to run on the 64 bit version of Windows?

If not, are there any plans to make it compatible?

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj
Hi,

I tried to install Reaper v0.44 on my machine running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

The installation ran smoothly and Reaper installed correctly into the "Program Files (x86)" directory, but when I try to run the program it locks up my machine.

Is the program meant to run on the 64 bit version of Windows?

If not, are there any plans to make it compatible?

Cheers,

Malcolm.
We will no doubt support Windows XP x64 at some point. I'm curious what makes it lock up the machine. Does it lock the whole machine, or just the REAPER process? etc?

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
We will no doubt support Windows XP x64 at some point.
Cool! :-)

Quote:
I'm curious what makes it lock up the machine. Does it lock the whole machine, or just the REAPER process? etc?
Actually, it's just the process that locks up, not the whole machine.

Upon further testing, Reaper appears to lock whenever I perform an action that addresses the audio hardware.

I can access any of the menu items except the Audio-Device preference settings, and I can access all of the controls except the audio transport. Trying to access either of these will cause the program to lock.

I suspect the problem might lie in the calls the program is making to the hardware, which is apparently where the 64 bit layer comes into action. My audio device is an M-Audio FireWire 1814 running their 64 bit drivers.

I'd be happy to run bug tests for you if you think you can sort out the problem.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
malcolmj

Quote:
We will no doubt support Windows XP x64 at some point.
Hi Justin,

This might be slightly off topic, but I ended up installing NINJAM on my 64 bit machine last night - and it ran perfectly!

I don't know if the code that's used to address the audio devices in NINJAM can be used in REAPER, but NINJAM saw all my audio hardware straight away.

What an amazing program NINJAM is! I ended up jamming for half an hour with a great bass player from Paris. He was sending two tracks (drum machine and bass) and I was sending back one track (Rhodes) processed by Jesusonic, and it sounded like we were both in the same room. No latency problems at all. I'm really surprised that more people don't know about it.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Hi Justin,

This might be slightly off topic, but I ended up installing NINJAM on my 64 bit machine last night - and it ran perfectly!

I don't know if the code that's used to address the audio devices in NINJAM can be used in REAPER, but NINJAM saw all my audio hardware straight away.

What an amazing program NINJAM is! I ended up jamming for half an hour with a great bass player from Paris. He was sending two tracks (drum machine and bass) and I was sending back one track (Rhodes) processed by Jesusonic, and it sounded like we were both in the same room. No latency problems at all. I'm really surprised that more people don't know about it.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Strange, REAPER uses most of NINJAM's audio code, though it is updated some.. glad you like NINJAM
Old 01-24-2006, 01:42 AM   #6
malcolmj

Quote:
Strange, REAPER uses most of NINJAM's audio code, though it is updated some.. glad you like NINJAM
Good news Justin - v0.49 is working on my 64 bit machine

After I installed this version I chose "REAPER (show audio configuration on startup)" instead of going direct to REAPER (just on a whim to see if it would have any affect). When REAPER booted the audio configuration window opened and it had already recognised my FW1814's ASIO drivers. OMG. I am VERY happy.

One strange thing though - when I loaded 4x4_remix.RPP, the entire "Bass Loop" track was out by 0:00.055. I had to go through the whole track and resync it. All the other tracks were fine. Any idea what might cause this to happen?

Also tried the direct hardware I/O, which works perfectly.

Awesome Awesome Awesome!

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:52 AM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Good news Justin - v0.49 is working on my 64 bit machine

After I installed this version I chose "REAPER (show audio configuration on startup)" instead of going direct to REAPER (just on a whim to see if it would have any affect). When REAPER booted the audio configuration window opened and it had already recognised my FW1814's ASIO drivers. OMG. I am VERY happy.

One strange thing though - when I loaded 4x4_remix.RPP, the entire "Bass Loop" track was out by 0:00.055. I had to go through the whole track and resync it. All the other tracks were fine. Any idea what might cause this to happen?

Also tried the direct hardware I/O, which works perfectly.

Awesome Awesome Awesome!

Cheers,

Malcolm.

Hmm the 0:00.055 offset is strange, has it done it again since? Glad the x64 is working, I suppose I need to install it at some point (since I have a dual athlon64 anyway).. just my MOTU doesnt have drivers yet, I dont think.

-Justin
Old 01-24-2006, 03:38 AM   #8
malcolmj

Quote:
Hmm the 0:00.055 offset is strange, has it done it again since?
Yes. I uninstalled and reinstalled and the problem is repeatable. Very strange that it's just that track.

My rig uses an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual-Core processor. With 2 GIG of RAM it's SUPER fast

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Yes. I uninstalled and reinstalled and the problem is repeatable. Very strange that it's just that track.

My rig uses an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual-Core processor. With 2 GIG of RAM it's SUPER fast

Cheers,

Malcolm.
That's the same processor/ram as I have.. just no xp64

So when I load the 4x4_remix.rpp, the first bass loop item is at 1:00.000 exactly. In the project file, the lines look like this:

NAME "reaper_demo_Bass.ogg"
VOLPAN 1.000000 0.000000 1.000000
POSITION 60.000000
LENGTH 12.006304

Just make sure yours is the same..

-Justin

Last edited by Justin; 01-24-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
malcolmj

Hi Justin,

Yes, I have the same entry. I compared the opened 64 bit EDL to the original and all the data appears to be the same, with a few extra lines added for v0.49 features. The delay in track 2 is still there.

Cheers,

Malcolm.