Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-10-2022, 02:03 AM   #1
myrsnipe1
Human being with feelings

Default will Reaper + Linux save my Mackie Onyx 1640i workflow?

Hey!

New guy here. I'm actually not a reaper user (yet), but I'm currently trying to resurrect my former analog workflow with my darling Mackie Onyx 1640i. I did post a question in a thread about Linux benefits in audio, but realized it might be better to make my own. I got my mackie new in 2012 but these things are cheap to buy used these days so I figured if we work this out it could be a good resource for future bargains struck.

So here's my situation: The old thingy is unfortunately Firewire connected, plus driver support stopped since win 7. I chucked a Firewire port into an entry level HP Pavillion gaming desktop (x64) and found the most recent drivers (I believe I tried 1.7 and 1.9, for those who are familiar). My DAW is (for now) FL studio, and i've tried it in both win 10 and 11. Long story short: It routes correctly, but playback recorded audio is riddled with crackly, bit reduction-y weirdness, and occasionally the whole thing does drop out altogther. Sometimes it works fine for a while but not something I can depend on in a professional context. Sample rates, buffer sizes, different DAW (reaper trial), same deal. No CPU overloads show in the DAW metering, but it does seem to get slightly worse as the RAM gets more used (as in takes stacking up in the project). There's a chance that's a coincidence. Otherwise I can't find any correlation between what I do in DAW, it can produce bursts of noise in an empty project that's not playing. I've found plenty of things that turned out to be coincidence later, so hopefully I've filtered out dumb non-variables :P

I initially came here to ask if a Reaper would work properly on a windows 7 system, cause then I could see if older OS would help. Not gonna use whatever FL version existed for windows 7, cause it's gotten a lot better very recently for recording. Reaper is more made for normal recording to begin with and seems like a better bet. I still wonder that: is it gonna behave on a win 7 if I buy Reaper tomorrow?

But! As I waited for my user to be activated I read a thread here where some one suggested that Linux might be good for your old hardware's compatibility. Having at least installed Ubuntu in the past, I know it can be a bit of a process to set up and I'm not savvy. So I thought I would see what people think of this before I start that whole dance and learning a new DAW.

So does anybody have experiences with this or other old hardware and Linux? I am more than grateful for any other input, ideas etc for how to get this to work properly. Any combo of DAW and OS is essentially an option, i can bounce things down and throw it into laptop if i need to put digital plugins on top of them later. I just love to track on it, and compartmentalize sounds with those EQs, it's fast and sounds really good to me. Thanks
myrsnipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:37 AM   #2
norbury brook

Reaper will run fine on windows 7.

My advice would be install windows 7 and keep it at that. Windows 7 was/is a very robust OS so no issues there. Security might be a problem if you're on line all the time. I've a feeling the built in windows defender wont be up to date so check that out and use a low resource 3rd party if needed.

FW on linux is a bit flakey TBH, USB is great but not FW. So I'd go windows 7.

If you're using FW the the old Texas Instrument chipset is the best thing to get.

check your card and see if it's a T.I. if not get hold of one, they're cheap on ebay.

this one will work with later windows OS as well if you want to try windows 10.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294086154...Bk9SR9r7rZWMYQ

just use the 400 slot.

M
Old 11-10-2022, 05:16 AM   #3
myrsnipe1

very clarifying, thanks a ton. i actually dont have internet in studio so security is a non-issue . also had no idea the brand of firewire chipset could possibly matter so i'll check that out! thanks for link.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:39 AM   #4
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrsnipe1 View Post
very clarifying, thanks a ton. i actually dont have internet in studio so security is a non-issue . also had no idea the brand of firewire chipset could possibly matter so i'll check that out! thanks for link.
judging by your problems I'd be fairly certain you DON'T have a T.I.FW chipset.

M
Old 11-10-2022, 10:05 AM   #5
norbury brook

not sure where you're located.

if you have an older machine do you have a PCI slot?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165332188...Bk9SR9z7rZWMYQ

M
Old 11-11-2022, 10:46 AM   #6
myrsnipe1

chipset turned out to be TI! getting windows 7 is very confusing to me. i dont understand if i have the right to downgrade or if i have to buy a license, and pages that sell windows 7 seem to mostly get garbage reviews and generally give me untrustworthy vibes. anyone done this? maybe i'm overly jumpy.
Old 11-11-2022, 12:16 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrsnipe1 View Post
chipset turned out to be TI! getting windows 7 is very confusing to me. i dont understand if i have the right to downgrade or if i have to buy a license, and pages that sell windows 7 seem to mostly get garbage reviews and generally give me untrustworthy vibes. anyone done this? maybe i'm overly jumpy.
If you want to see how it might work in Linux, you can create a bootable Linux flash drive, and then install REAPER once booted up from it.

Before I switched to Manjaro I made a Manjaro live disk, booted from it, installed REAPER for Linux, setup my 16 input UMC1820/ADA8200 audio interface in REAPER, and then played some of my existing projects to see how it would do.

Once I saw that it could easily handle a lot of audio tracks, I installed Manjaro for real on my SSD. Had it not worked so well, I could have shut down, pulled the USB flash drive and boot back to my previous OS.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote