Old 02-09-2024, 10:55 PM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default Fixed Item Lanes Questions

1. Why does the comp lane number increase every time I double-click?

It's the same when running the toggle comping action. This is on a new track with nothing on it.

2. Why does hiding the button turn comping off?

It's problematic because when I record into a new lane, the new lane becomes selected and my comp stops playing (and disappears from view if I'm only showing one lane).

If I've been comping into some lane other than the top one, it's hard to remember which one was active when this happens.

It also prevents me from building a proper toggle button for fixed item lanes.

As long as comping is on, recording into a new lane simply adds the new recording to the active comp, which is what I want. But this behavior means every time I toggle the button I have to remember to reactivate comping or new recordings deactivate the previous ones on the track.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 02-09-2024 at 11:20 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 05:18 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
1. Why does the comp lane number increase every time I double-click?
That's a quirk of the fact that there is no media on the track. The first time you double-click, a comping lane is created because you need at least 2 lanes for comping (one to comp from and one to comp into). When you double-click again to turn off comping, the empty bottom lane is removed because "automatically delete empty lanes at bottom" is enabled. The process repeats every time you double-click. I suppose we could special-case the "automatically delete" behavior to instead remove the empty comping lane instead of the bottom lane, if there are only two lanes and they are both empty, although this is not really typical behavior, normally you would not start comping on a track with no media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
2. Why does hiding the button turn comping off?
Because there would be no indication that comping is enabled and no way to turn it off.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:58 AM   #3
foxAsteria

Thanks for the reply! Number 1 was just something weird I noticed when testing this, but number 2 is the real problem!

Is there any way we could have an option to preserve the comping state when toggling the button? (Please, please, please!) Or even an explicit action for returning to the last state could work in a custom action.

Am I being clear on why this is such a problem? Can't imagine I'm the only one trying toggle comping or record after comping and completely getting thrown off the rails.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 02-10-2024 at 12:04 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:46 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Can you explain more about what the problem is?
Old 02-11-2024, 10:13 AM   #5
foxAsteria

Thanks Schwa, here's the issue:

Create the comp, hide the button and then try to record to the same track. Comp disappears because the new lane is now exclusively playing. Only if the button is showing and I activate the comp lane do I get expected behavior.

I guess I'm expecting the option 'create comp areas for new recording while comping' to work all the time; even when no comp lane is activated or the button is hidden.

Does that make sense?
Old 02-11-2024, 10:26 AM   #6
schwa
Administrator

The issue is simply that comping is disabled when the buttons are hidden? That is by design because there is no indicator of which lane is the comping lane, and no way to disable comping, with the buttons hidden.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:10 AM   #7
foxAsteria

Let me try another approach: Could we have an option to treat the comp lane as the first available lane for recording, so that recording in a new lane does not disable everything else on the track from playback simply because it happens to lie on a comp lane which has its button hidden?

Having the entire contents of a track seemingly disappear after making a new recording later on the track is extremely undesirable behavior. Is there no way around it?

I hide the button to prevent changes to the comp. Why should automatic behavior be to make it look like it's been deleted?
Old 02-12-2024, 12:42 PM   #8
schwa
Administrator

It sounds like rather than 'show/play only one lane', what you actually want is 'disable lanes'.

Old 02-12-2024, 01:24 PM   #9
foxAsteria

Thank you! But there's no action for this, correct? I'm ultimately struggling to build a quick toggle action for comping mode.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:32 PM   #10
schwa
Administrator

It's equivalent to the action "Track properties: Unset free item positioning/fixed item lanes" or the toggle "Track properties: Toggle fixed item lanes".