Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-26-2024, 04:29 AM   #1

Default [SOLVED, not a Reaper bug] CPU usage 100% on a single core with visual spacers

Hi

I found this bug that only seems to occur under very specific circumstances. CPU on a single core goes to 100%!

I think I mostly got down how to replicate this:

1. New project with one track, make sure the master track is hidden in TCP.
2. Add a visual spacer before the track
3. Insert 2 instances of Toneboosters eq v4 (with one instance cpu jumps as well but not as high. This happens with some other plugins as well but again, not as clearly.)
4. Set fixed item lanes
5. Toggle between showing a single lane and showing all lanes (you don't need to create multiple lanes, one is enough to show this behaviour)

I didn't dig through all my plugins but quickly I couldn't find other plugins that cause this behaviour so maybe something sketchy with this particular plugin as well. But either way I think it's something wrong with visual spacers also.

Removing the visual spacer from the project fixes the problem! Same with removing the EQs which seems really weird.

Also if there's another track before the track with the EQs the problem goes away. Hide that new track so that the track with EQs is visually first and the problem returns.

EDIT:

Ok, after thinking about it again, I realize I might have been a bit hasty in calling this a Reaper bug. Maybe it's just the plugin, but something in Reaper under these conditions is triggering this which seems weird. I'll contact the plugin developer as well.
See next post.

EDIT2:

A clean (portable) install solved the issue. Latest SWS beta (2.14) seems to cause this behaviour.

Last edited by Ville; 02-29-2024 at 01:51 AM.
Ville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 02:10 AM   #2

OK, after some more digging I realized that this is happening with other plugins as well.
You just need more instances to see the effect.

Here's an example with 6 instances of TDR Nova:

Now I wouldn't care about this otherwise but I actually encounter this quite often. I usually focus on only a couple tracks while hiding others when working with lanes.

The solution for now seems to be removing all visual spacers and not using them for the time being.

(By the way, all of this testing was done while audio device was closed so shouldn't be related to audio processing in any way.)
Old 02-28-2024, 09:24 AM   #3
schwa
Administrator

I'm not able to reproduce this on Windows, even with 16 instances of that EQ plugin. Do you have any scripts active that might be querying the mouse position? Is is possible for you to create a portable installation of REAPER to see if the problem exists there?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 01:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I'm not able to reproduce this on Windows, even with 16 instances of that EQ plugin. Do you have any scripts active that might be querying the mouse position? Is is possible for you to create a portable installation of REAPER to see if the problem exists there?
Ok, thanks for looking into this. Gridbox is the only running script. I'll see if disabling makes a difference. I can also try portable install... Tomorrow that is. Here in Finland it's time to go to bed.. 😄
Old 02-28-2024, 01:52 PM   #5
FeedTheCat
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Do you have any scripts active that might be querying the mouse position?
Gridbox does indeed query mouse position.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:36 AM   #6

A clean portable install doesn't show this behaviour!

But somewhere along importing all the settings and replicating my previous setup this starts happening.
I couldn't pinpoint yet what causes this so I'll have to do some more digging..

Last edited by Ville; 02-29-2024 at 01:05 AM. Reason: The bug still persists, I made a mistake in trying to replicate it!
Old 02-29-2024, 01:29 AM   #7

AHA!

I started installing extensions etc. one by one and found what causes this:

The problem appeared after installing sws latest beta! (With the latest stable release this doesn't happen.)

Will have to report about this. I guess the right place would be in the sws pre-release thread?

Thanks for helping schwa!

PS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Gridbox does indeed query mouse position.
Gridbox clearly wasn't the issue as it wasn't even installed at this point.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:28 AM   #8
cfillion

@schwa Could the track's "make lanes big/small" state be exposed in the API? The source of the slowdown is SWS repetitively parsing the track's chunk to read the first value of FIXEDLANES in an attempt to mirror how REAPER computes the maximum spacer size for that track: BR_Util.cpp:2264-2321.

Even better would be for the effective TCP spacer size to be directly accessible, so we don't have to chase future changes in REAPER... (But that wouldn't completely help because parts of SWS still need to be able to predict spacer size for a given (non-current) track height.)

Last edited by cfillion; 02-29-2024 at 11:50 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:45 AM   #9
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
@schwa Could the track's "make lanes big/small" state be exposed in the API?
Yes, we can add that.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:53 PM   #10
cfillion

Thank you!

@Ville The next SWS release will have the fix. In the meantime, here's a build you can use in combination with REAPER v7.11+dev0229: https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/pu...ent-1972147203.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 06:01 PM   #11
Fergler

This is a beautiful collaboration recorded here
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 04:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Thank you!

@Ville The next SWS release will have the fix. In the meantime, here's a build you can use in combination with REAPER v7.11+dev0229: https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/pu...ent-1972147203.
This is great, thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
This is a beautiful collaboration recorded here
Yeah, I'm stoked to see and experience how the community and developers work together! 😊 (Switched from Cubase last year.)