Old 03-27-2024, 06:34 PM   #1
Fergler
Human being with feelings

Default Teaser of silly font hack

Is this a good idea? Absolutely not.

I wanted icons and text in toolbars and to be more flexible than having to render new ones every time. So this silly idea was born, and I delved into a world Iíve never touched before with FontForge.

These are normal and double wide text buttons. The Ďtop lineí of text is capital letters, the bottom is lower case, and the vertically centered text is ⓒⓘⓡⓒⓛⓔ ⓛⓔⓣⓣⓔⓡⓢ. Then there are some spacing characters ▢ ▓ ▇ ◢ which I picked a bit randomly (should have used some more clear ones) that offset the bottom row.

Itís silly, should have been done in Figma, but I had fun.

Hereís the behind the scenes:

Attached Files
File Type: zip ReaperFergler.ttf.zip (17.8 KB, 158 views)
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:07 AM   #2
Teddy

This looks awesome! Can see myself using this in the future.
Mind sharing your whole theme? The colors on that timeline ruler looks promising
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:38 AM   #3
Rednroll

I not understanding it. Can you dumb it down so a dummy like me can better understand what I'm looking at?

I've been struggling to find a good font to use on toolbar icons to be able to use on which doesn't look like a blob of mess on those 30x30 toolbar icons. I've resorted to drawing each letter out in Photoshop which is easier said than done with some letters...the letter "W" comes to mind. This looks like something I could really use, but not quite understanding what I'm look at.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:30 AM   #4
Teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
I not understanding it. Can you dumb it down so a dummy like me can better understand what I'm looking at?

I've been struggling to find a good font to use on toolbar icons to be able to use on which doesn't look like a blob of mess on those 30x30 toolbar icons. I've resorted to drawing each letter out in Photoshop which is easier said than done with some letters...the letter "W" comes to mind. This looks like something I could really use, but not quite understanding what I'm look at.
He has made a custom font where capital letters are raised, so they are on the upper line, and lowercase letters show up as lowered, so they are on the bottom line. And there's also some characters that's used for spacing, and some icons.

The text screenshot shows which letters has been used to produce the result shown in the top most screenshot.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:38 AM   #5
oneammonday

Hi there, Fergler. I have no idea what any of that means, but I like those toolbars. Very cool. I've made my own double wide toolbars with giant letters before, but I haven't used images because I would probably forget what the image meant, so I just use GIANT TEXT so I can read it, lol. Cheers.
oneammonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:28 PM   #6
Fergler

Thatís sorta why I did this, I have also gravitated towards using just text because two reasons:

1. sometimes there isnít an icon that does it justice
2. I really hate a mixture of both, visually

This sorta deals with that by allowing some context even when the icon doesnít fully explain it. More like a visual cue for where to start looking to read. I donít even use toolbars that much but I like the aesthetic of them and I keep a few obscure tools that I donít want to dedicate shortcuts to there.

I will probably end up replacing this all with actual icons due to Reaper not using pink lines for double-width buttons (they get stretched ugly), which Iím guessing is part of v6 and 7 themes using solid colours for this.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:13 AM   #7
ReFocused

Cool idea!
ReFocused is offline   Reply With Quote