Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-05-2024, 09:18 PM   #41
JohnnyMusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
And if you’re not sure what either control/button/function does, when and why, the you’ll be tweaking and listening till hell freezes over. Well, maybe you’ll “get there”, but you’ll still never know why. So when you get to the next song, you will need to tweak and listen again.
It's been a lot of years, but just part time as a serious hobby. A collaborator and I will be releasing an album of 11 songs soon.

I agree with your point that if you don't know how to use the tools, it's going to be hard to improve and get consistent results.

Regarding the forum, while people are sharing what they do in THEIR situation, I still think a lot of it can be applied to most popular music (stuff with bass, drums, guitars, keys and vocals for example). But it will be up to me decide if it's serving the goals of my particular situation. I never assume what someone tells me is the only way to do it.

I've definitely read a lot about how compressors work and mixing and mastering more generally (and I have no doubt that it helped me get better faster). The most in-depth and comprehensive explanation of compressor use I've come across was in Roey Izhaki's book Mixing Audio (can't recall what edition right now).

It goes into great detail about all the parameters/controls and different ways to use compressors. If you've read it, what do you think of it?

To be honest, I haven't even come close to mastering all the info it contains and probably never will, but it definitely helped me get better at using compressors more intentionally and I review it from time to time.

Good comment! Thanks!
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:51 PM   #42
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMusic View Post
The most in-depth and comprehensive explanation of compressor use I've come across was in Roey Izhaki's book Mixing Audio (can't recall what edition right now).

It goes into great detail about all the parameters/controls and different ways to use compressors. If you've read it, what do you think of it?
But, of course, I've read Izhaki's "Mixing Audio"! Everybody should! (Although, some of its contents may be outdated.) It's a very, very good book. I bought it in the early 2000's, and I still have it (somewhere in the back). Actually, It was that book that finally got me to understand dynamic/compression. Especially the part about attack and release, because up till then I had been totally wrong about how those controls actually worked and behaved. Fact is; there are still "experts" out there who are still getting it wrong.

Try this funny test sometime:
Ask different audio/mixing people (where Google isn't around) to explain exactly what and how attack/release works. You will get different answers almost every time ...
Old 04-06-2024, 09:16 AM   #43
JohnnyMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
Especially the part about attack and release, because up till then I had been totally wrong about how those controls actually worked and behaved. Fact is; there are still "experts" out there who are still getting it wrong.
I don't doubt this.

Regarding the book, there is a 2023 edition.

But yeah, but even the old edition is a really good resource if you want to know how your tools work on a more technical level and therefore get the best out of them as you work to express your artistic vision.

There are many other good books that are more focused on the artistic aspects to mixing.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote