Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 03-30-2023, 02:01 PM   #1
en5ca
Human being with feelings

Default ReaSolotus: Solo bus extension to improve live mixing experience with REAPER

Download from Github
  • Solo bus extension to improve live mixing experience with REAPER.
  • Uses discrete Mix and Solo buses (tracks) to achieve non-destructive soloing (uninterrupted output).
  • Also known as Cue / PFL / Listen.

Visit Github repository for more details.

Last edited by en5ca; 04-05-2023 at 12:38 PM.
en5ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:21 PM   #2
WarrenG

I am very interested to see where you take this.
I still am trying to wrap my head around how I can modify my current default project which has six foldback feeds to accommodate the script. I would like to cue them individually while the main is un affected. Currently have quite a few parent/child folders. I am monitoring using Totalmix sometimes ,but also Reaper and Software Audio Console (SAC) from RMLLABS depending on the situation. Do you have any routing examples that could help me better understand your script's function's?

Thank you.

Warren
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:31 AM   #3
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Does it feature API?

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:17 AM   #4
en5ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
Does it feature API?
Currently not.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:39 AM   #5
en5ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
I am very interested to see where you take this.
I still am trying to wrap my head around how I can modify my current default project which has six foldback feeds to accommodate the script. I would like to cue them individually while the main is un affected. Currently have quite a few parent/child folders. I am monitoring using Totalmix sometimes ,but also Reaper and Software Audio Console (SAC) from RMLLABS depending on the situation. Do you have any routing examples that could help me better understand your script's function's?

Thank you.

Warren

Hi! Here's a video by some dude where the 'problem' of live mixing with a DAW is described pretty good. He also presents a manual solution, and that is basically what ReaSolotus does. With the distinction that ReaSolotus uses completely discrete Solo and Mix bus, although Solo bus is assigned to Master by default.

Made some updates today, and new version is available at Github. Now it forcefully flattens parent/child structures, so be sure to test with dummy projects to see how it works. If SWS extension is installed, it also changes REAPER default solo mode to 'ignore-routing', or 'not-in-place'. If you don't have SWS installed, be sure to change this manually.

My goal is to get level, pan and send control via MCU compatible control surface faders (and mute, solo and select buttons), and use ReaFab for 'channel strip' control, probably in tandem with a touch screen.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:14 AM   #6
EduSerra

I downloaded this file "reaper_reasolotus-x64.dll" where should I put this file? Maybe a step by step guide would be usefull. Thanks
EduSerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 11:19 AM   #7
en5ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduSerra View Post
I downloaded this file "reaper_reasolotus-x64.dll" where should I put this file? Maybe a step by step guide would be usefull. Thanks
Put the file in your REAPER UserPlugins directory. You can find it under your REAPER resource path. Which in turn can be found from REAPER Options menu > Show REAPER resource path in exploer/finder... . Then restart REAPER.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:45 AM   #8
nofish

Props for the name.
(and the extension itself too of course, I get where this is getting at, but not using Reaper for live mixing myself...)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 11:58 AM   #9
en5ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Props for the name.
(and the extension itself too of course, I get where this is getting at, but not using Reaper for live mixing myself...)
What is special with name? Hope it's not some NSFW term in some language.
Old 04-02-2023, 01:17 PM   #10
nofish

Oh I thought it's a play with Solo and Lotus (the flower).
Besides I just like how it sounds.

Nothing to worry about.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:32 PM   #11
en5ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Oh I thought it's a play with Solo and Lotus (the flower).
Besides I just like how it sounds.

Nothing to worry about.
Okay, nice. Hans Solo would have been great also.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:29 PM   #12
WarrenG

Still testing, but wondered what changed between Releases v0.1.3 and v0.1.5?
Thanks for this by the way.

Warren
Old 04-03-2023, 02:59 AM   #13
en5ca

Quote:
Still testing, but wondered what changed between Releases v0.1.3 and v0.1.5?
Thanks for this by the way.

Warren
Can't remember exactly which number included what, but mostly performance related improvents when soloing multiple tracks. Now it flattens those parent/child structures and replaces their signal flows with send based routings. And now it has built-in mechanism to automatically change the REAPER default solo mode to 'ignore-routing'.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:08 PM   #14
X-Raym

Showcased on ReaLinks.net:

Well done 🤘
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:31 AM   #15
WarrenG

Making a lot progress, but it still seems to defeat any routing to the master out, via parent send from the "mix" track, when cycling solos on various tracks. The solo output to another hardware output is working for me. I must be missing something as I have been even looking for another solution in my rants on another post.

Not sure what I am doing wrong with regards to separating Master out from Solo out. and not having one affect the other. But when consulting great minds, I am sure you can help me sort it out.

Thanks
Warren

By the way also using Bigbird's Tags script helped me sort out the visual confusion of no parent/ child tracks. (Hope that can help others with large projects)
Old 04-05-2023, 11:59 AM   #16
en5ca

Quote:
Making a lot progress, but it still seems to defeat any routing to the master out, via parent send from the "mix" track, when cycling solos on various tracks. The solo output to another hardware output is working for me. I must be missing something as I have been even looking for another solution in my rants on another post.

Not sure what I am doing wrong with regards to separating Master out from Solo out. and not having one affect the other. But when consulting great minds, I am sure you can help me sort it out.

Thanks
Warren

By the way also using Bigbird's Tags script helped me sort out the visual confusion of no parent/ child tracks. (Hope that can help others with large projects)
Mix track is your functional master/main out for the uninterrupted mix. Solo (routed to REAPER Master) is your Solo/Monitoring bus.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:10 PM   #17
WarrenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by en5ca View Post
Mix track is your functional master/main out for the uninterrupted mix. Solo (routed to REAPER Master) is your Solo/Monitoring bus.
Ahh! So I had it right , just didn't know what I was looking at. Grrrrr.
Any plans for that master Out to be again used only for Master? Or should I just suck it up and quit crying about it .

Work Great as designed.
Thanks
W
Old 04-05-2023, 12:43 PM   #18
en5ca

Quote:
Ahh! So I had it right , just didn't know what I was looking at. Grrrrr.
Any plans for that master Out to be again used only for Master? Or should I just suck it up and quit crying about it .

Work Great as designed.
Thanks
W
Good to hear. Solo to REAPER Master is default monitoring route because most people probably have their monitoring connected that way. Then getting the 'main/stream/PA/tape' output becomes a trivial task of just assigning outputs to Mix.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:55 AM   #19
noah1234j

Default This Plugin Works Great

This plugin works great, using it for live work. One thing I wish could be changed, is it reorders the two tracks (master and solo) to the beginning of the project (spaces 1 and 2) is there any way to have it leave them where I put them?
noah1234j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 05:44 PM   #20
en5ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah1234j View Post
This plugin works great, using it for live work. One thing I wish could be changed, is it reorders the two tracks (master and solo) to the beginning of the project (spaces 1 and 2) is there any way to have it leave them where I put them?
https://github.com/ak5k/reasolotus/releases/tag/v0.1.7

Something like that?
Old 01-07-2024, 09:28 AM   #21
noah1234j

That's exactly it, wow thank you for changing that for me. The other thing that is messing it up for me, is it seems to be muting my other sends (other than the sends to monitor and master. Is that by design?

In my use case, not everything is sent to the master, as most things are bussed before they hit the master. So I need to be able to remove the master send without it muting the other sends. I hope this makes sense, and don't change anything on my account if I am the only one who is having issues.

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2024-01-07 102533.png (54.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 01-07-2024, 09:51 AM   #22
en5ca

Quote:
That's exactly it, wow thank you for changing that for me. The other thing that is messing it up for me, is it seems to be muting my other sends (other than the sends to monitor and master. Is that by design?

In my use case, not everything is sent to the master, as most things are bussed before they hit the master. So I need to be able to remove the master send without it muting the other sends. I hope this makes sense, and don't change anything on my account if I am the only one who is having issues.

Thank you
it shouldnt do that by design, and i couldn't reproduce that. In fact, ReaSolotus flattens folder structures and replaces them with sends, so indeed it should work with sends.
Old 01-07-2024, 03:12 PM   #23
noah1234j

I played with it a little more. It seems to be muting the send when the channel is muted. Which is suppose isn't the worst thing that could happen. But is annoying if I have to toggle reasolotus off. I have to go through and manually enable all of the sends. And thanks for the fast replys and great plugin!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2024-01-07 160847.png (18.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 01-07-2024, 07:00 PM   #24
en5ca

Quote:
I played with it a little more. It seems to be muting the send when the channel is muted. Which is suppose isn't the worst thing that could happen. But is annoying if I have to toggle reasolotus off. I have to go through and manually enable all of the sends. And thanks for the fast replys and great plugin!
ok, got it. will try to fix this.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:19 PM   #25
en5ca

Quote:
https://github.com/ak5k/reasolotus/releases/tag/0.1.8

This should be better. Muting sends is a design choice, to prevent sends from leaking to main mix when soloing a muted track. This version should leave user muted sends untouched, and restore previosly muted sends on when turning off ReaSolotus, and disable all ReaSolotus Solo sends when turning off ReaSolotus.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:10 AM   #26
noah1234j

Awesome thank you so much
Old 01-17-2024, 07:52 PM   #27
noah1234j

One thing to be aware of is it doesn't work well with templates. It duplicates the tracks. See photo.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2024-01-17 205007.png (56.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 01-18-2024, 02:16 AM   #28
en5ca

Quote:
One thing to be aware of is it doesn't work well with templates. It duplicates the tracks. See photo.
It would seem that this happens when creating project with soloing and ReaSolotus enabled. Although ReaSolotus stores Mix/Solo bus data to projects/templates, it seems maybe this info is not immediately available for ReaSolotus when creating new project. In another words, it would seem when creating a new project from a template, before the stored info about previously created Mix/Solo buses becomes available (can be read from ProjExtState) for ReaSolotus extension, ReaSolotus already creates new ones.

As a workaround, you could try to remember to disable ReaSolotus when creating new project from template. Or not store Mix/Solo buses with template. Or delete the excess (or all) Mix/Solo buses when creating new; ReaSolotus will recreate missing buses. But this indeed needs a more robust solution.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:26 PM   #29
noah1234j

Quote:
Originally Posted by en5ca View Post
It would seem that this happens when creating project with soloing and ReaSolotus enabled. Although ReaSolotus stores Mix/Solo bus data to projects/templates, it seems maybe this info is not immediately available for ReaSolotus when creating new project. In another words, it would seem when creating a new project from a template, before the stored info about previously created Mix/Solo buses becomes available (can be read from ProjExtState) for ReaSolotus extension, ReaSolotus already creates new ones.

As a workaround, you could try to remember to disable ReaSolotus when creating new project from template. Or not store Mix/Solo buses with template. Or delete the excess (or all) Mix/Solo buses when creating new; ReaSolotus will recreate missing buses. But this indeed needs a more robust solution.
Will do thank you much
Old 03-12-2024, 07:16 PM   #30
Grüv

Hi there.
This looks like the closest existing thing to the workflow I'm looking for, I hope you don't mind if I have a few comments.

IMO the entire purpose of the solo bus is to leave the master and all other routing unaffected by solo action. I want the extension to automatically add a solo-send to every channel, change the function of the solo button to unmute that send, and absolutely nothing else. If any other piece of my routing is muted or affected in any way by the solo bus, that's unacceptable to me.

So I cannot honestly wrap my head around why any of the nonsense with the intermediate master bus is necessary. I would like to disable all of that entirely. So that muted channels may still be soloed, why not simply change the function of the mute button to toggle the parent and other non-solo sends?
Grüv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:21 PM   #31
en5ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grüv View Post
Hi there.
This looks like the closest existing thing to the workflow I'm looking for, I hope you don't mind if I have a few comments.

IMO the entire purpose of the solo bus is to leave the master and all other routing unaffected by solo action. I want the extension to automatically add a solo-send to every channel, change the function of the solo button to unmute that send, and absolutely nothing else. If any other piece of my routing is muted or affected in any way by the solo bus, that's unacceptable to me.

So I cannot honestly wrap my head around why any of the nonsense with the intermediate master bus is necessary. I would like to disable all of that entirely. So that muted channels may still be soloed, why not simply change the function of the mute button to toggle the parent and other non-solo sends?
Hi! The extension doesn't change how the Solo and Mute operate in REAPER, and soloing overwrites MASTER out. For uninterrupted main mix out while soloing, the extension has to use separate/intermediate mix bus. For similar reasons, folder structures also have to be flattened.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:04 PM   #32
Grüv

I see that I misunderstood what it is the extension is up to. Would you say then that the extension supplements the behavior of the solo button? The original behavior is still there, you just get extra functions on top? If that's the case this unfortunately won't help me. In my particular case I am not actually using the master bus at all, but the fact that the solo button mutes all hardware sends on all non soloed channels completely breaks my use case. I want Reaper as an FX rack with each track taking a hardware input, processing it, and passing it's output directly to a hardware out to be mixed in analog. I just wanted to use the solo button to send one signal at a time to an RTA, but having such a dangerous button on every track is just too risky to bring to a live show.

Last edited by Grüv; 03-13-2024 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:31 PM   #33
en5ca

Quote:
I see that I misunderstood what it is the extension is up to. Would you say then that the extension supplements the behavior of the solo button? The original behavior is still there, you just get extra functions on top? If that's the case this unfortunately won't help me. In my particular case I am not actually using the master bus at all, but the fact that the solo button mutes all hardware sends on all non soloed channels completely breaks my use case. I want Reaper as an FX rack with each track taking a hardware input, processing it, and passing it's output directly to a hardware out to be mixed in analog. I just wanted to use the solo button to send one signal at a time to an RTA, but having such a dangerous button on every track is just too risky to bring to a live show.
ReaSolotus works how you describe. It 'solo safes' all tracks with hardware outputs, meaning any hardware output stays active while soloing. To achieve what you described, remove/disable master send from your individual tracks, and leave their discrete hardware outputs enabled. This should end up in a situation, where ReaSolotus does not create the main mix bus send for tracks without master send; it only creates the solo send, handles it, and leaves the hardware output sends untouched.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:13 PM   #34
Grüv

It seems to work well that way, thanks very much for working on this! It's a big step forward in usability.

There are two things not seeming to working exactly as intended for me. It doesn't seem to do anything after firing the action, until I add a new track. Then along with the solobus it creates a mixbus track and send for that new track even if the others don't have master sends, and it won't allow me to delete that mixbus. I can hide it in the mcp/tcp but I'd rather not use any resources at all on it.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:45 PM   #35
en5ca

Quote:
It seems to work well that way, thanks very much for working on this! It's a big step forward in usability.

There are two things not seeming to working exactly as intended for me. It doesn't seem to do anything after firing the action, until I add a new track. Then along with the solobus it creates a mixbus track and send for that new track even if the others don't have master sends, and it won't allow me to delete that mixbus. I can hide it in the mcp/tcp but I'd rather not use any resources at all on it.
Nice! I wouldn't be too worried about one unused extra track. It's effect on resources is insignificant or can't even be measured reliably. It just makes the program easier to maintain when it can do preparations under single rule/condition, and you can indeed just hide tracks. However, if you change projects while having ReaSolotus enabled and tracks are soloed, ReaSolotus might unnecessarily create new mix and solo tracks. When changing projects, REAPER seems to trigger the soloing event before ReaSolotus can check if the project already has a mix and solo tracks and creates new tracks. That is something you might want to watch out for.