Old 05-17-2020, 11:08 PM   #1
Peterk312
Human being with feelings

Default Convology XT and REAPER - Pops and clicks?

I used to use Reverberate LE for a convolution plug-in. I got so sick of the nag screen because it's charityware I installed Convology XT, which works perfectly in REAPER except for one thing: When a track is armed for recording there's massive pops and clicks. And that's likely a buffer issue.

It's not CPU usage because REAPER performance meter indicates an average of about 3% for Reverberate LE vs about 5% for Convology XT.

Put Convology XT on a track and monitor the recording and it's so bad you can't use it. Change back to Reverberate LE with the same .wav files to generate reverb and it's fine.

What is this plug-in doing that causes a problem?

I see in settings you can select 64 - 256 samples for block size and latency, as if this should do something, but it makes absolutely no difference what you select, as if the plug-in is ignoring this setting in REAPER.

Anybody know something else that might be causing pops and clicks in some REAPER setting? Makes no difference if you run Convology XT native, as a separate process, or as a dedicated process. The issue occurs only when a track is armed for recording.

* Edit: And note the noise when a track is armed for recording is not happening when a track is sent through only one instance of Convology. It's when you have the track routed through two or more sends that contain Convology, or if you put two instances of Convology in the track's FX window (see below).

Last edited by Peterk312; 05-22-2020 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Problem better defined.
Peterk312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:05 AM   #2
Goldreap

Just in case:
Note that for the Block size and Zero latency settings to take effect you have to toggle the plugin offline/online (not just toggle disable or bypass, or press play).
And just BTW info: Block size setting is for Convology's internal engine and not something that has to align with your audio interface block size.
Goldreap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:14 AM   #3
carbon

It doesn't behave too good in my computer also, so I'm testing alternatives.

I got rid of crackling when I switched the power scheme in Windows settings to "High Performance" instead of "Balanced".

But Reaverb behaves better, also MConvolution (which is not free).
Old 05-18-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
Peterk312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Just in case:
Note that for the Block size and Zero latency settings to take effect you have to toggle the plugin offline/online (not just toggle disable or bypass, or press play).
I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by taking the plug-in "offline."

On the GUI for Convology there is something that looks like a power light. Is that what you mean? Toggle that off to take it "offline" ?
Old 05-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
Goldreap

It's a REAPER thing not a thing within the plugin. After you load the plugin and change those settings, select it in the FX chain window list on the left, then up the top Edit> Toggle selected FX offline. (Then bring it back online).

When an FX is put offline it is removed from RAM. For some reason Convology requires this (offline then online again) to make those settings come into effect. Other plugins behave differently. E.G. If you change the ZL (zero latency) setting in Reaverb you just need to hit the play button afterwards to kick in the setting.

Last edited by Goldreap; 05-18-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
Peterk312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
After you load the plugin and change those settings, select it in the FX chain window list on the left, then up the top Edit> Toggle selected FX offline. (Then bring it back online).

When an FX is put offline it is removed from RAM. For some reason Convology requires this (offline then online again) to make those settings come into effect. Other plugins behave differently. E.G. If you change the ZL (zero latency) setting in Reaverb you just need to hit the play button afterwards to kick in the setting.
Tried it. Doesn't seem to have made a difference setting it at 256 samples. Still getting lots of clicks when record is engaged.

I was wondering about the 64-bit vs 32-bit version of Convology and have yet to check. Reverberate LE is a 32-bit plug-in and I have no issues with it while recording.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
Goldreap

I have 64 bit VST3 Convology....no problem here in REAPER 64 bit Windows 10 64 bit.
Hard to suggest anything more specific because I don't have the problem to troubleshoot.

Note that when armed for recording anticipative FX processing doesn't happen.
Have you looked at buffer settings in REAPER Preferences?
Is this in a project with lots of tracks and FX?
How powerful is your computer?
How much RAM do you have?
Have you checked the Windows performance monitor as well as the REAPER one?
Do you have a browser open with heaps of open tabs?

Download the free Latency Monitor from resplendence.com
It will tell you about things that might need looking at.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #8
Peterk312

Further testing reveals a few things:

1. *Pops and clicks are only happening when I use more than one instance of Convology, as with two or more tracks for reverb sends. If I'm only using one send, and mute all others, no noise occurs at all when recording. (What I do is often set up two sends: a short ambient reverb and a longer tailed reverb. Depending on the instrument, the combination of short vs long reverb varies for each track.) Why would running more than one instance cause this?

2. There's no difference in the noise running 32-bit or 64-bit version of Convology.

3. The noise happens with both MIDI and analog (live mic or instrument) while in record mode only, again only when more than one instance of Convology is assigned to the track.

CPU for the sends are at something like 4% CPU power. I have 8GB Ram. I don't believe CPU or RAM is the issue. I'm wondering do I have a buffer set wrong.

For example, if you go to Preferences > Buffering > Anticipative FX Processing, the default there is 200 ms. Should I increase this to maybe 400 ms or will it make no difference when recording because REAPER is not doing anticipative processing in record mode?

What about "Advanced Disk I/O Options"? Is there something there to increase that might stop clicks when recording? But note, this is only happening when using Convology while recording. No other plug-in causes this on my PC, and as I said I have had no issues with Reverberate LE, but I'd really like to stop using it.

Last edited by Peterk312; 05-20-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #9
Peterk312

Default Problem Is With Multiple Instances of Convology XT

If I arm a track to record, as soon as I send the track through more than one instance of Convology XT either by:

1. Inserting in its FX window two instances of Convology (which you normally would not do)

2. The track routed through two sends

--I get pops and clicks. It's while monitoring only. The noise does not get recorded.

If in either case above I mute one instance of Convology, the pops and clicks go away. It suggests while monitoring in record mode there's something about Convology in which the signal can't be routed through more than one instance of the plug-in without an issue. If you disarm the track for recording, there are no pops and clicks even with multiple instances of the plug-in.

Even with only a media file inserted in the track I arm for record, I will get pops and clicks. CPU for each track with Convology is showing me 5% CPU usage at most. CPU use for project total is about 24%

This is running Convology VST3 as a dedicated plug-in. 3 tracks only in a new project.

Can anyone duplicate this?
Old 05-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #10
allstar

Does anyone else find Convology crashes Reaper if it can't find a previously loaded file ?

I get it all the time when moving sessions from the work computer to my laptop. There's no missing file dialogue or anything ( OSX 10.13.6, Reaper 6.1).
allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:08 AM   #11
Peterk312

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
Does anyone else find Convology crashes Reaper if it can't find a previously loaded file ?

I get it all the time when moving sessions from the work computer to my laptop. There's no missing file dialogue or anything ( OSX 10.13.6, Reaper 6.1).

I'm not using a Mac, but this is the error you get with REAPER 6.1 in Windows 7. No crash, just the error message. It's tiny, but it reads "Error opening response file."

My guess is you could easily remedy your problem by creating a duplicate folder on each computer that contains your impulse responses and make the path to the folder the same on both computers, even if you need to make a redundant folder on one of them. I was having this problem with Reverberate LE (which would pop up and ask for a file and go to a folder automatically when REAPER launched a project) until I made sure the folder path was the same on both of my computers.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #12
Peterk312

I can also verify that on two desktop PCs, one running both Windows 7 as well as Windows 10, I am getting the same exact result from Convology. There is a problem with how REAPER is responding to two instances of Convology running at the same time while a track is armed for recording. It's a glitch, and that's a shame.

This is not about CPU power or RAM. This is not about how I'm routing the input. This is another example how for some reason a good plug-in is not fully compatible with REAPER.

I have little choice at this point but to drop using Convology and go back to the nag screen that Reverberate LE generates.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:49 PM   #13
allstar

Thanks for the response Peterk312. I'm going to give the same folder path idea a go.

Seems like the crash could be Mac thing. It happens on both my Macs, but then they are running very similar OS and software so could be something specific to that.
allstar is offline   Reply With Quote