Old 05-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
tyllmusic
Human being with feelings

Default What's a good way to switch MPE on/off?

Hey folks,
right now I'm using BOME's MIDI Translator to switch MPE input from my seaboard on and off without having to open the software settings every single time.
However, the setup is kind of clunky and I'd much rather have a toggle button inside Reaper which I can bind to a shortcut. I think this is not possible how I imagine since there is no global input FX (channel), but I thought asking you guys is worth a shot.
Am I missing some tricky option other than adding ReaControlMIDI to every single track fx/track input fx?
tyllmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
mschnell

I do use a Seaboard in my live setup as well with the Equator VST that comes with the Seaboard and works perfectly fine with MPE as with the Solo Strings library by Sample Modeling which is monophonic and Kontakt based.

I use (and did) a JSFX that converts MPE in a normal Midi data stream in a way that handles the finger movements rather appropriately (and configurable). So I don't need to switch the MPE modes if the Seaboard. (It should also work with polyphonic Synths, but did not really try).

Moreover I use (and did) a JSFX that converts CC messages (created by my Control Surface infrastructure) to SysEx messages that are digested by the Seaboard to set certain playing parameters according to the patch to be played (e.g. if hitting adjacent keys should create a new note or a glide).

You can find the JSFXes in ReaPac as "Midi MPE to single channel" and "Midi CC to SysEx".

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:09 AM   #3
tyllmusic

Thanks Michael! I'll have a look into those JSFX for sure.
Just now I remembered a set of SWS/S&M functions, which set the selected tracks MIDI input to a certain channel. I think this might do the trick quick enough too. It's not a toggle, but rather 17 (16 channels + 1 source) button, but it's quick enough to just set it up for quick recording.
I guess in a live setting or with more of template-based workflow the JSFX may work just as good if not better.
Thanks for your input!

The prime reason I'm looking for a toggle is to have a flexible way to quickly record single-channel synths as well as multi channel kontakt instances and MPE-multi-channel instruments. Especially for sketching and for brainstorming through sounds it's much nicer to have that with just one button.
Right now I'm using multiple keyboards, but that's just rather clunky on the desk.

Anyways, thanks again for your input! I'll try them out now.
tyllmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
mschnell

Dynamically selecting the Midi routing seems perfectly inappropriate. I'm rather sure that this will not work decently.
Reaper's standard Midi routing features can easily split channels and send them to multiple tracks.
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 05-23-2020 at 01:16 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote