Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-16-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

Default Automation touch mode not working when assigned to MIDI/OSC

The automation touch mode is working correctly, when moving parameters with the mouse.
However, when assigning / learning a MIDI/OSC controller, touch mode fails
and falls back to write mode.

A brief explanation in this video here:
video

Last edited by _Stevie_; 01-16-2020 at 12:05 PM.
_Stevie_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
Klangfarben

Yes, this is REALLY annoying! Hope the developers can fix this one. If Reaper gets the touch on message from my controller, it should get the touch off as well, not just continue in write mode. If I wanted write mode and not touch I would have selected it.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:31 AM   #3
mks

Yes. I'm having a really frustrating time trying to sort out a good workflow for automation and this is another major issue along the way. Basically we don't have touch at all, which is the mode I use 99 percent of the time for anything. Unfortunately, with no workaround in this case. I'm using this with TouchOSC in my current case.

I wanted to note a few specifics things:
1) For me, this specifically has a weird delay instead of behaving like a permanent "latch" mode. It will eventually drop out out of writing after about 3 seconds or so.
2) Which brought me to the following conclusion: Reaper does not take into consideration the "touch" data. It's the same whether it transmits that or not. It seems to trigger based off of the initial value data and not the touch flag. Which is why it's not releasing upon "un-touching" a parameter. I've tested this by simply touching a fader and not moving it. And as suspected, it drops out of write after the same delay. So it seems we simply don't have any touch implementation at all from controllers. Instead we have a "latch-delay" mode which isn't very useful at all.

This would seem to be a major issue. It is for me. Not just for parameter automation via controllers, but my basic core workflow of doing volume automation with multiple faders at the same time.
mks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #4
mks

For anyone else desperately trying to find workarounds...unfortunately I haven't been able to find anything. I've tried:
- OSC: for reasons posted here where it just drops out of automation writing. In addition to the fact that it doesn't release when you release the control.
- basic touch screen manipulation: doesn't work because of the way Windows applies a "dead zone" to touch input. There is a way around this since other developers of drawing apps, etc. seem to be able to get around it. Also, no multitouch which is a known limitation.
- ReaLearn: doesn't work since it drops out of touch as soon as there is a lack of data.

So it seems touch is just not available except by mouse (which doesn't help since I need to control multiple faders at once) or possibly other controllers (which I no longer want to own). Really hope this gets fixed soon
Old 10-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #5
mks

So this fixed the release time thing for me: I didn't realize the OSC config files for Touch OSC weren't setup with the touch flag. So firstly, that has to be enabled in TouchOSC. Secondly, the config file has to be setup to receive and process it. Basically something along the lines of this:
TRACK_VOLUME_TOUCH b/1/volume/z b/1/@/volume/z

Luckiyl, this works for Volume and Pan. Other data however...

At least this gets me to being able to write volume automation
Old 12-18-2020, 03:09 PM   #6
joeyx

I have the exact same problem using TouchOSC. Touch/Latch/Write mode all basically work the same because when you release the fader in TouchOSC, nothing happens in Reaper. I feel like this used to work too, but maybe I'm imagining things...
joeyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:20 PM   #7
SymboliC

After having the same problem, I searched for it on Google and this thread came up in the first place.

Sorry for reviving a 2 years old thread but it seems the problem still exists with no solution.

Anyone has any idea or workaround for this or any setting within Reaper or TouchOSC to make it work the way it's expected?
Old 04-07-2023, 12:21 AM   #8
Holzwurm

This would make such a huge difference, especially since we have the option not to preserve trailing values now.
My usecase is loop a part and with each pass touch to refine little parts of the automation, let go to leave the good parts. Works great with the mouse but not with midi Controllers
Holzwurm is offline   Reply With Quote