Old 06-22-2018, 04:09 AM   #41
citizenkeith
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
You're just going to get a list of everyone's favourite compressor here.. If I had to choose only one compressor that can be basic or complex when needs be, it would be the classic Blockfish. Simple interface, more complex one underneath and easy to understand and get a great sound from. Can be pretty clean or very dirty and smashed sounding.
Note that all the Fish Fillet plug-ins are no longer updated. That may not be an issue for Windows users (32 bit only), but they are not compiled for Intel-based Macs.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:59 AM   #42
Tubeguy

Someone asked for an example so here is roughly the sound I like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWJY...pcIkl8V76_UAo_
It's a very particular tone of the surf/rockabilly era, midrangey, saturated and crispy/crunchy, in your face.
I get pretty close to it if I use tape, old tube preamps etc.
One thing that's giving me still problems is the crazy lead guitar sound.
At 1:11. I get closest to it when I record to tape at high levels like +5db, than it gets all saturated and smeared like that. But it's still not the same.
Maybe some older veteran would know...but it's probably the whole hard driven analog chain they used back than to get that.
As for the compressor, I don't expect it to sound like this off course :-) but it's the kind of compression I like for tracks. Just having hard time getting the compression like that without the sound falling apart unless I use hardware.

Last edited by Tubeguy; 06-22-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:12 AM   #43
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeguy View Post
Someone asked for an example so here is roughly the sound I like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWJY...pcIkl8V76_UAo_
It's a very particular tone of the surf/rockabilly era, midrangey, saturated and crispy/crunchy, in your face.
At 1:11. I get closest to it when I record to tape at high levels like +5db, than it gets all saturated and smeared like that. But it's still not the same.
Maybe some older veteran would know...but it's probably the whole hard driven analog chain they used back than to get that.
As for the compressor, I don't expect it to sound like this off course :-) but it's the kind of compression I like for tracks. Just having hard time getting the compression like that without the sound falling apart unless I use hardware.
Just a cursory listen, but it sounds like preamp distortion, or overloading the mic... maybe a ribbon?

Also it's 1958. So it's not multitracked. Probably a small tube mixer with a few microphones going straight to tape, and everybody playing in the same room together.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:49 AM   #44
airon

Another thumbs up for MJUC and DC8C3, and their free little counterparts.

Other good free stuff includes Rough Rider from Audio Damage, TDR Kotelnikov and JSCompshaper ( https://electric-snow.net/plugins/ ). They're all unique.

ReaComp is your basic beast compressor. It's totally capable of doing clean to whacky.

1176-styles are neat with Waves CLA76, Stillwell Rocket and some stuff from Blackroosteraudio. IkMultimedia makes good stuff too, but their shop concept is not everyone's cup of tea.

Waves H-Comp is a very interesting flavour as well. We do have plenty of other choices.

MJUC is by far one of the most interesting and versatile compressors I know. If you're going for old-school styles, I recommend this one. Three great vari-mu compressors in one plugin.

airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #45
FKAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
Just a cursory listen, but it sounds like preamp distortion, or overloading the mic... maybe a ribbon?

Also it's 1958. So it's not multitracked. Probably a small tube mixer with a few microphones going straight to tape, and everybody playing in the same room together.
Sounds about right to me.

OP might enjoy and take some hints from this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q-scxybnp0

Oh yes, and another thumbs for MJUC.
FKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:56 AM   #46
Softsynth

1950s studio:
https://www.theaudiohunt.com/blog/th...a-decade-1950s

Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:24 AM   #47
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
^ayiite- yeah do not think basic compression was even around until dolby mid sixties...it was basically 1st used to stop over modulations when radio broadcasting i suppose..defo down to mics,placements,ampage,kit+ extreme amounts of other variables-- the moment.
newyork compression was just 1 of the modified techniques over time.
there's very little need to ever go for a compressor if artist wants to reatain the full instruments dynamic range..simplez.
the parallel techinque tried to keep original peaks--but bring in some exrta weight by doubling the signal with slight differences in volumes__ again,simplez,but quite effective to maximize perceptions.
do you need it? na m8-- but it can be great for shaping tones weight m8-no debate m8.

audio timeline if any1 cares for history> http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/audio.....timeline.html < (not sure if fully comprehensive or accurate) =)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #48
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
Seconded. Very cool compressor. But it can be somewhat subtle when it needs to be.
The key with Molot for me is the mix control. It lives on my drum buss after beating out quite a few commercial compressors.

That said the OP wants simple and Molot is a bit cluttered.
Magicbuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #49
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
^ayiite- yeah do not think basic compression was even around until dolby mid sixties...it was basically 1st used to stop over modulations when radio broadcasting i suppose..defo down to mics,placements,ampage,kit+ extreme amounts of other variables-- the moment.
newyork compression was just 1 of the modified techniques over time.
there's very little need to ever go for a compressor if artist wants to reatain the full instruments dynamic range..simplez.
the parallel techinque tried to keep original peaks--but bring in some exrta weight by doubling the signal with slight differences in volumes__ again,simplez,but quite effective to maximize perceptions.
do you need it? na m8-- but it can be great for shaping tones weight m8-no debate m8.

audio timeline if any1 cares for history> http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/audio.....timeline.html < (not sure if fully comprehensive or accurate) =)
I'm pretty sure those old broadcast limiters definitely found their way into recording studios by the late 50's. The Gates Sta-level being one of the most well known in the US and the Fairchild in the UK.

Klanghelm MJUC gives you 3 different flavors of 50's style Vari mu compression. Great plugin.
Magicbuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #50
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
Note that all the Fish Fillet plug-ins are no longer updated. That may not be an issue for Windows users (32 bit only), but they are not compiled for Intel-based Macs.

Yes it's very old now - a shame it's not updated. Still holds it's place for me - I haven't really heard much like it. And it does fit the bill if the OP is on 32 bit Windows.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #51
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Yes it's very old now - a shame it's not updated. Still holds it's place for me - I haven't really heard much like it. And it does fit the bill if the OP is on 32 bit Windows.

I miss using it, frankly. But since moving to a Mac, I’ve had to live without it.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #52
Bri1
Banned

wut! 0 luv for tha envelope based compressir! wut wut.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ope+compressor

great idea-simple+effective--but is it pleasing folks here? cost,wut?=nothing to many.lugz to eugen2777❤︎
ahh dayng-- just too many buttons n dials to twiddle-- shame that,coz they are all nice in their own ways eh.?
Old 06-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #53
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeguy View Post
It seems a couple others beat me to the point on this, but I'll go ahead and agree with them. I don't think you're trying to get the sound of a compressor specifically. That sound is a product of a different process including the final format and its degradation (if you like the spitty hiss, crackle, etc. too). For all I know it might've been recorded directly to vinyl.

You can imitate the various aspects of this but you have to identify them individually if you're not going to use the original process. For instance is the compressor doing anything harmonically or is it just a kind of attack/release combination you like, how much distortion are you hearing and what kind (a simple clipper might help), do you want to add noise to it and how much, how much of the highs/lows are you going to roll off, etc.

First, here's a compressor that you might like (it uses low CPU, has nice character and it's free):

http://sonic.supermaailma.net/plugins (Scroll down to "S.LA.X")

As for plugins that might help "lo-fi" your sound, consider some Airwindows plugins (freeware/donationware):

GrooveWear
CrunchyGrooveWear
ToVinyl4
Iron Oxide 5
TapeDust
Slew2
FromTape

Last edited by JamesPeters; 06-22-2018 at 02:57 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #54
JohnnyMusic

Default I didn't see Thrillseeker LA by Variety of Sound mentioned

It depends what basic means, but if you just want transparent reacomp is good. Otherwise, you're looking for some kind of coloring and that's all a matter of taste/application.

Thrillseeker LA is a sort of take on the LA-2A I believe (which is a slower opto design) ,but has a few cool extra features. Have you tried that one. It's free.
It has some sort of Saturation, maybe transformer emulation?, that adds a really nice presence with some harmonics, I think it sounds great.
Check it out!
There's also another one called Thrillseeker VBL that is an emulation of the old broadcast limiters.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:00 PM   #55
Bri1
Banned

thread gives an opportunity for users to be creative with plugs..
by creating 1 dial compressors-linked controlls-- every1 would have an interesting way_ am sure the reasults would be worth any efforts. =) glhf!
Old 06-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #56
Tubeguy

This thread morphed from basic compressor to a full blown "get that sound" thread. That's a good thing :-)
I'm still baffled how they got that sound of the 60's surf era. It wasn't around in 50's and after 60's. Same as the 80's had their own sound mostly due to use of new digital equipment. Even rockabilly from 80's sounds 80's. I think that's what I'm actually referring to, a sound of an era.
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:30 PM   #57
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Me and Magnus worked on a compressor right before REAPER, its 32 bit, but https://www.kvraudio.com/product/mjc...art_electronix

Not too different than what eventually became ReaComp, though it will certainly act different than I can get reacomp to do on really fast stuff
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:13 AM   #58
Bri1
Banned

heh-just lately etchred re has come into good uses- it's actually a modulation+filtering device,but has a compressor built in which just has 2 controls--1 dial for amount+ 1button for hard/soft.
if i run 2 in serial_ the reasults are speaking loudly here.
adding the different amp drives (i like shred or clip) to that,either pre or post ==omyfokingdayzblud.