Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-11-2018, 07:13 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Applying effects to new takes

Help please.

On a song with lead vocal and back-up, there were a couple of spots in the back-up that needed improving.
This I did bysinging the in the relevant places in a new take.
It sounds pretty good (to me at least.
The thing is I have already compression and equalisation to the first take, how can I can apply those effects to the second take.
I could manually redo the effects on the new take, I suppose, but when I call up the fx it just shows me the first take. Any ideas please?

Anton
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
The thing is I have already compression and equalisation to the first take, how can I can apply those effects to the second take.
Where did you insert the FX for the first take, exactly? As Track FX, as Item FX or as Take FX?

And have you already tried to copy the FX chain used on first take, for instance, into the FX chain of the second take?
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
Burnsjethro

Thanks again for your patience Solger.

For the first vocal take, I just added Fx equ and compression (not the real names I know but I don't have Reaper in front of me) and applied some setting based on Reaper presets.

I then did a second take. You mean dragging the effect into the second take!

I am not sure I can do that because when I open the fx all it shows me is the first take. I will open it up again later on and try your suggestion.

Anton
Old 06-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
You mean dragging the effect into the second take!
I guess dragging should also work. Or select the Take and choose Item > Take > Show FX Chain for active take to open the Take FX Chain window first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
... because when I open the fx all it shows me is the first take.
I'm not exactly sure what that means

Can you maybe post a screenshot?
Old 06-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
Burnsjethro

Well, I went upstairs to my computer took some screenshots on a word file put on a stick came down and tried to upload it and wastold me it was an invalid file, so I had to convert it to pdf.

Here it is. I did an extreme reverb on back-up vocal (there are three takes, the back-up I kept is in the second lane) and dragged the fx from the left-hand side of the screen onto third take. Yes, all the back-up vocals are now in extreme reverb. Thanks very much for the tip.

But another question. I retuned my first back-up vocal but I don't see how I can do it with my final take because it just brings up the first retune version (fortunately my final back-up sounds quite in tune, but still!).

Anton

Last edited by Burnsjethro; 02-20-2024 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
Here it is. I did an extreme reverb on back-up vocal (there are three takes, the back-up I kept is in the second lane) and dragged the fx from the left-hand side of the screen onto third take. Yes, all the back-up vocals are now in extreme reverb. Thanks very much for the tip.
OK. The Track FX Chain (shown in your screenshot) should usually already affect all Items/Takes on the Track.

Or did you perhaps apply any FX also directly to the first take in addition?

Quote:
But another question. I retuned my first back-up vocal but I don't see how I can do it with my final take because it just brings up the first retune version (fortunately my final back-up sounds quite in tune, but still!).
Did you do the retuning of the vocal track with Reatune (shown in your screenshot)? Or otherwise?

As mentioned above, the Track FX Chain should usually already affect all Items/Takes in the Tracks. Unless I'm missing something which I can't see from the screenshot.
Otherwise one possible option is probably to insert Reatune into the FX Chain of the final take directly, as well (similar as above).
Old 06-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
Burnsjethro

I applied extreme reverb to the first take (well the last but one) but it did not directly affect the final one until I dragged the fx (the one on the box where you arm the track) onto it.

When you say Track FX Chain do you mean the green item on the left, or three-item list called up (shown in the second screenshot) when I clicked on the green Fx on the left of the screen?

Yes, I retuned with reatune.

Anton
Old 06-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
solger

Quote:
When you say Track FX Chain do you mean the green item on the left, or three-item list called up (shown in the second screenshot) when I clicked on the green Fx on the left of the screen?
Yes. You can insert FX onto a Track:

And you can insert FX directly on Items/Takes, as well.

It's also possible to apply FX destructively: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#TNpAAhnR09A

You can find more info about this in the User Guide (www.reaper.fm/userguide.php) and in the 'FX and Plugins' category of the video section (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php).

Last edited by solger; 06-11-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #9
Burnsjethro

Thank you so much for all youir help.

Anton