Old 07-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
0=0
Human being with feelings

Default Take Effects Parameter Envelope.

So reaper is amazing for editing and i love it. However there is one feature i've thought of that if it existed would make reaper the best that ever would be.

You have your Take. And you can edit a "volume", "pan", "mute" envelope for it. But imagine if you had an effect inserted on that take and you could edit an assignable envelope for said effect.

For example. You have an audio take. You have liteon's wonderful moog filter JS effect. and you can select the "cutoff" as an envelope just on the take that said effect is using.

This would definitely add some flexible functionality to reaper and probably save some screen space for people aswell. I'm not sure how insane the programming would be for such functionality but I imagine that from the end user perspective it would be pretty easy to go to the "Take menu" and see a menu pop up with all the insert effect parameters and then be able to manipulate said parameter of said effect.

What do you think?

j

0=0

Last edited by 0=0; 07-10-2011 at 03:01 PM.
0=0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
AtmanActive

I just don't understand what all the fuss about takes is about.
"Takes this", and "takes that", and "why don't takes do this and that" and so on...

It's like Reaper has 3 (three) audio tracks available so everyone has to stuff everything into takes to use tracks sparingly so they don't run out of the only 3 available.

I mean, if you ever want to do with takes anything more complicated than just click/preview/choose one of them out of bunch, then of course you would explode them to several tracks, stuff those tracks into a folder, and do to them whatever it is that you wanted to do.

It's like people are starting to use takes instead of tracks... I just don't get it...
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
0=0

what's to complain about? i mean you already have take-based effects. it would increase workflow and functionality for SOME users.

some people are really into microscopic editing of things..or even having the option of having different takes to refer to.

more tracks means more screen real estate and more clutter.

right now if I want to automate an effect for one take I would have to have a channel insert just for that one take and use a channel envelope for one instance of a take/clip. Render the FX to take. why not skip those steps and have something more streamlined that can actually make more robust functionality.

j

0=0
Old 07-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
nofish

Could be that I'm wrong but I think there might be a misunderstanding/confusion of terms here...

I guess 0=0 is actually talking about item FX as called in Reaper which are already available now and asking for item FX envelopes ?

While AtmanActive is referring to Reaper's take system (= different recording passes contained in one item on the same track), which has actually not so much to do with this FR if I got it right.

If so,
definitely +1 to item FX envelopes.

I think this is the FR you're looking for ?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=44830

Last edited by nofish; 07-10-2011 at 04:12 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
0=0

yes!!

voted!

i needs this!

j

0=0
Old 07-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
nofish

Oh I just found out that I haven't voted on this myself yet.

Also voted.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
gofer
-blänk-

They are called item FX on the forum and in the user guide, but actually they are take FX, as in you can have an individual FX chain per take. One item can have as many separate FX chains as it has takes. With that in mind 0=0 is right and the misunderstanding/confusion of terms is everywhere else .

Full automation of take FX would be awesome.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
museumoftechno

Another vote for take FX envelopes. All manner of geeky techno madness would ensue.
museumoftechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
dusanmsk

Default +1

+1 for take envelopes. I use it very often in fls and i am totally missing it in reaper.
dusanmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:00 AM   #10
Nixon

What about item FX sends? From my point of view a lot of people would like that too. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=96281
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusanmsk View Post
I've created a workaround python script to simulate "per-item automation". It is not so straightforward as it could be in any other DAW with this feature, but I hope it will be usable for someone.

Script copies automation from selected item to all items with the same name in selected track.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqNlKOC1KkA
Download https://stash.reaper.fm/v/12934/msk-copy_envelope.zip
This thing you are doing isn't about what's being requested in this thread. (Which is automation for the effects that can be inserted into the Reaper items/takes. Not about having automation envelopes as items, which would be another, but different, useful feature to have in Reaper.) You might want to start a new thread somewhere else to get people to try out your workaround.