Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 06-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #81
semiquaver
Human being with feelings

awesome - thanks
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:31 AM   #82
shosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
No just the faderbox. Is the track named exactly __LBX_SKCTL - (that's two underscores at the start - one in the middle)?
Yeah, I copied and pasted it from here, from both OP and a post you made above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
I had a little trouble with this too. What I did was make a new JS plugin and just copied the code from the faderbox section on the stripper page.

My plugin ended up being called "new effect" but that's completely because I have a lack of knowledge on this sort of thing.
I'm not sure how to make a new JS plugin, is there some documentation somewhere?
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #83
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
Yeah, I copied and pasted it from here, from both OP and a post you made above.

I'm not sure how to make a new JS plugin, is there some documentation somewhere?
I can't find the image again now - but from memory - that's exactly what the faderbox should look like.

I'm more concerned that the Smart Knobs script isn't picking up the faderbox - you should get a load of boxes underneath the top details in the window.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:24 AM   #84
shosty

Quote:
I can't find the image again now - but from memory - that's exactly what the faderbox should look like.

I'm more concerned that the Smart Knobs script isn't picking up the faderbox - you should get a load of boxes underneath the top details in the window.
Ok well that's promising at least. I am hoping that someone else running linux can try this to see if there's a bug/problem somewhere. I've got a dual boot so I'll try to set this up on windows and see if it I can get it to work there.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:07 AM   #85
shosty

So I managed to get it working in Windows. In linux the Smart Control recognises the effect, I see the name change at the top when a different effect is selected, but still nothing else is drawn.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #86
Justin
Administrator

Occasionally I've seen this script access a member of FFX, but it is nil at that point. Line 942:
Code:
        FFX, ret = GetFocusedFX(true)
        if ret == 1 then
          track = GetTrack(FFX.trn)
        end
Seems GetFocusedFX() can return nil, 1, which causes this. Also I think there's a typo relating to 'local tr' in the GetTrack() function
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #87
shosty

I've tried this again and somehow it works this time. I have no idea what I did wrong before but it's working perfectly now.

Sorry to waste anyone's time but thank you for the help and for the wonderful script.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #88
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Occasionally I've seen this script access a member of FFX, but it is nil at that point. Line 942:
Code:
        FFX, ret = GetFocusedFX(true)
        if ret == 1 then
          track = GetTrack(FFX.trn)
        end
Seems GetFocusedFX() can return nil, 1, which causes this. Also I think there's a typo relating to 'local tr' in the GetTrack() function
Thanks Justin ... A few bugs to fix... Will look into.

EDIT: Should be (partially) fixed now.

Funny that I've never triggered the crash though - would like to know the conditions that caused it - so I can double check my fix.

However - in trying to work out what caused the crash I thought it might be to do with moving the focused FX around in the track fx chain. This didn't seem to cause the crash but did cause some slightly weird behaviour - so I'll look into that.

EDIT2:

Script should now also cope ok when moving focused effect around the fxchain. The only time this hiccups is if you actually select the faderbox plugin on the control track. But there's no reason to really want to do this while using the script properly so I'm not going to worry too much

Last edited by lb0; 06-11-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #89
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
I've tried this again and somehow it works this time. I have no idea what I did wrong before but it's working perfectly now.

Sorry to waste anyone's time but thank you for the help and for the wonderful script.
No time wasted don't worry. Glad you got it working. Might have needed a script restart when the CTL track has been added or something like that.

Hope it comes in useful

I've a few little niggles to iron out - but should be fine generally.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:53 AM   #90
lb0

New update - a few bug fixes.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #91
Zerododo

hi all,

i'm using this great tool and works fine!! thanx

the only thing i don't understand is how to send correct position feedback to faders when focusing another plugin.

i've setted send feedback yes to ch 1 cc 0-31 and activated midi send on LBX track, but faders don't move when changing focus.

got an ssl nucleus 1

thanx for help

Last edited by Zerododo; 06-13-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Zerododo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #92
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerododo View Post
hi all,

i'm using this great tool and works fine!! thanx

the only thing i don't understand is how to send correct position feedback to faders when focusing another plugin.

i've setted send feedback yes to ch 1 cc 0-31 and activated midi send on LBX track, but faders don't move when changing focus.

got an ssl nucleus 1

thanx for help
Well it should just be required that the __LBX_SKCTL channel should be set up to output midi to whatever hardware output feeds a signal back into the control surface, and the control surface encoders/faders should be set up to receive feedback values on the channel chosen in the Faderbox jsfx and using the appropriate CC numbers (0-31).

This isn't something I've been able to test easily as I don't have any useful control surfaces that require this myself. But to test the output of Faderbox - put a midi logger (there's a JSFX one) after it and check the output sent through the midi logger - when you switch the focused plugin - it should send the new values of the assigned mapped parameters.

assuming this midi data looks correct - it's either the routing back to the control surface that's incorrect - or the control surface encoders/faders might not be set to the correct CC numbers (or there may be something else in the controller setup not quite right that is preventing the controller from receiving the values).

As far as I can test here - all the midi feedback data is working fine. Make sure the F1-F16 Note-on monitor is set to No (This is for my Stripper script's use).
Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #93
Zerododo

ouch!
there should be something else, because i've tried all the solutions you mentioned but still no fader moves...

the sniffer detects midi messages correctly, and the cc semms to be correct.

i'm afraid Nucleus has some other setup to deal with, but i can't figure out what is...

any other ideas? some nucleus user listening?

thanx!!!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #94
lb0

Quote:
ouch!
there should be something else, because i've tried all the solutions you mentioned but still no fader moves...

the sniffer detects midi messages correctly, and the cc semms to be correct.

i'm afraid Nucleus has some other setup to deal with, but i can't figure out what is...

any other ideas? some nucleus user listening?

thanx!!!
Hmmm. Well I've been glancing at the Nucleus manual and it uses the ipMidi driver. Can you post a pic of your Midi Devices setup in Reaper - showing the output ports and how they are configured? This might help me get an idea of how you're set up.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #95
Zerododo

Quote:
Hmmm. Well I've been glancing at the Nucleus manual and it uses the ipMidi driver. Can you post a pic of your Midi Devices setup in Reaper - showing the output ports and how they are configured? This might help me get an idea of how you're set up.

here:

https://youtu.be/uU0sPNbAC6Q

thanx!!!
Old 07-07-2018, 02:00 AM   #96
lb0

Quote:
Thanks - I cannot see anything wrong with the way you have set that up.

I had a play with my aging ProjectMix IO which has motorized faders - and using a similar setup was able to get the faders in MIDI mode to work no problem here.

What I would try next - is using a Midi JSFX like MIDI CC Mapper
- put it on a track
- set the track to output MIDI to the controller
- use a keyboard modwheel or even an encoder from your control surface as the input source
- and within the JSFX go through all CC's values
- try changing the MIDI output channel numbers for the track

See if you can get the fader to move with any settings - my thinking is that maybe the controller is not receiving via channel 1 and CC0 etc. Maybe even though the controller is outputting channel 1 CC0 - it may have a different input MIDI setting.

If you find any settings that work - let me know.

If no channel CC combination works - then there is possibly some other setting within the control surface that means it's not receiving the data via your FX Control midi output. Is there any way you can tell whether the control surface is receiving any midi data at all?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #97
Zerododo

Quote:
Thanks - I cannot see anything wrong with the way you have set that up.

I had a play with my aging ProjectMix IO which has motorized faders - and using a similar setup was able to get the faders in MIDI mode to work no problem here.

What I would try next - is using a Midi JSFX like MIDI CC Mapper
- put it on a track
- set the track to output MIDI to the controller
- use a keyboard modwheel or even an encoder from your control surface as the input source
- and within the JSFX go through all CC's values
- try changing the MIDI output channel numbers for the track

See if you can get the fader to move with any settings - my thinking is that maybe the controller is not receiving via channel 1 and CC0 etc. Maybe even though the controller is outputting channel 1 CC0 - it may have a different input MIDI setting.

If you find any settings that work - let me know.

If no channel CC combination works - then there is possibly some other setting within the control surface that means it's not receiving the data via your FX Control midi output. Is there any way you can tell whether the control surface is receiving any midi data at all?
unfortunately i've understand where the problem is... in "midi cc mode" Nucleus cannot accept midi return data... it can only send them (page 37 of the manual).

thanx for help, sorry if you have lost time for this...
Old 07-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #98
lb0

Quote:
unfortunately i've understand where the problem is... in "midi cc mode" Nucleus cannot accept midi return data... it can only send them (page 37 of the manual).

No worries - sorry the issue cannot seemingly be worked around for your controller.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:48 AM   #99
lb0

Quote:

One last thought.

Does the Nucleus controller ever follow plugin GUI changes? - so if it's learned to a plugin and you change the values in the plugin - does it ever update when you change the values in the plugin - maybe by changing a preset or something?

I'm just wondering whether this only works in VST's or something - if so - you could try hosting the Faderbox JSFX in ReaJS - mapping your controller to ReaJS Faderbox - then see if it will monitor the VST's parameters... I know this is how I have to set up when using Novation Automap - but this is because the plugin is wrapped by automap and this wrapped version feeds the parameter values back to the controller - so it may not happen with the Nucleus unless it does something similar.

Just seems a bit of an oversight of an otherwise excellent controller if it cannot map values in both directions when using encoders.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:16 AM   #100
JSMastering

Greetings. I'm new to Reaper and brand new to the forums (Hi!).

This looks like something that I've been looking for since...I can't remember when. But, I have a couple questions.

1. How do I actually install it. I'm familiar with github, but after that, it's kind of a blur. I assume there's documentation somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it by searching.

2. If you have multiple instances of the same plugin, will this still control the active/focused one? Or will it control all plugins with that name?

3. Because I like to keep sessions tidy, can you hide (but not disable) the controller track and have things still work?

4. Is it actually as simple and straightforward as it seems?

5. In the demo gif, what was LBX-FaderBox? Just a MIDI device?
JSMastering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:45 AM   #101
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMastering View Post
Greetings. I'm new to Reaper and brand new to the forums (Hi!).

This looks like something that I've been looking for since...I can't remember when. But, I have a couple questions.

1. How do I actually install it. I'm familiar with github, but after that, it's kind of a blur. I assume there's documentation somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it by searching.

2. If you have multiple instances of the same plugin, will this still control the active/focused one? Or will it control all plugins with that name?

3. Because I like to keep sessions tidy, can you hide (but not disable) the controller track and have things still work?

4. Is it actually as simple and straightforward as it seems?

5. In the demo gif, what was LBX-FaderBox? Just a MIDI device?
Hi,

Installation is simply done by placing the relevant files in the correct places.

So the script should go in the Reaper resources folder in the Scripts subfolder. Some of my scripts require that they be in specific subfolders again - so to be safe I would place them in:

[Reaper resources]\Scripts\LBX\

For info - on my Win10 system - the resources folder is found:

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\REAPER

If you're on Mac - then you'll need to find where your resources folder is.

So after downloading the script from Github (download as RAW file to avoid any corruption), go to my LBX Stripper github repos:

https://github.com/L-B-X/LBXStripper

Download the LBX Faderbox JSFX plugin. This is required by the Smart Knobs script.

Save this file into:

[Reaper resources]\Effects\LBX\

This should be all you need to do to install everything you need.

Then you can run the script from Reapers Action list.

Hope this helps

---------------------

Answers to your other q's:

2: Just the focused one.
3: Yes - hiding the control track is fine
4: I hope so - as long as your controller works well with the JSFX (most should).
5: It's a JSFX plugin - this is the interface between the controller and the SK script. You need to learn your controller to the sliders in the Faderbox on the control track. If you have a Novation automap controller - you may wish to load the JSFX into an automap enabled ReaJS VST instance - this is probably the best setup for these devices. Other controllers should work fine with the JSFX plugin only.

Last edited by lb0; 08-06-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #102
Damster

Hi I cant find lbx-faderbox.jsfx on github

there is an LBX-Insert.jsfx and LBX-faderbox(32).html but thats it

Has Install method changed or am I just blind?

Thanks!!
Damster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:24 PM   #103
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damster View Post
Hi I cant find lbx-faderbox.jsfx on github

there is an LBX-Insert.jsfx and LBX-faderbox(32).html but thats it

Has Install method changed or am I just blind?

Thanks!!
Hi,

The LBX-FaderBox(32) is the one.

What do you mean install method changed?
Old 08-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #104
Damster

I was just asking if it had changed...Im still a bit lost

I downloaded the lbx-faderbox(32) and put it in Resources/effects/LBX but the file is html

Am I supposed to rename the file to .jsfx?

sorry for the confusion
Old 08-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #105
lb0

Quote:
I was just asking if it had changed...Im still a bit lost

I downloaded the lbx-faderbox(32) and put it in Resources/effects/LBX but the file is html

Am I supposed to rename the file to .jsfx?

sorry for the confusion
No problem. Sounds like you've saved the webpage.

Open the faderbox page on github - click RAW button - then use Save-As. Think you probably forgot to use the RAW button.

Alternatively - simply copy and paste the code into a new text file.

The text file itself does not require any extension - just as long as it is a simple text file. You can suffix it with .txt or .jsfx - doesn't matter.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #106
Damster

Ok great got that sorted and can now see the LBX-Faderbox Plugin and the SRD Smart Control GUI thanks!

After mapping 1 CC on my bcr2000 and hitting learn button on smart control I get Rescript Error "1398 attempt to index a nil value (Global 'FFX')

also If I load Smart Control GUI and then attempt to focus another plugin for mapping I get Reascript error 664 attempt to call a nil value (field 'SNM_CreateFastString')

I am on win7 64 bit with latest Reaper install...Tried many variations to get it working including absolute and relative modes in Reaper learn and BCR respectively
Old 08-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #107
Damster

I thought perhaps I mis-installed so went back and re-created LBX_SRD_SmartKnobs.lua by creating new script from Reaper actions list and pasting RAW text into it...same issue

I can load control track and run script and see the GUI then load another track for plugin...all good... but the moment I add another plugin for mapping I get the 664 attempt to call a nil value (field 'SNM_CreatFastString') error
Old 08-11-2018, 10:57 PM   #108
Damster

I installed this on my win10 laptop and receive the exact same error code (664)

Could it be my improper compiling of the lua or faderbox(32).txt files?

I created new .lua script from within actions window and then pasted raw github text into it...is this wrong way?

I pasted raw github text into .txt file for faderbox(32)

both are in respective LBX subfolders in Resources/Scripts - Resources/Effects

I can add faderbox(32) to control track and start script and see smart knobs gui...once I add a plugin to a new track...664 error code
Old 08-12-2018, 12:12 AM   #109
lb0

Quote:
I installed this on my win10 laptop and receive the exact same error code (664)

Could it be my improper compiling of the lua or faderbox(32).txt files?

I created new .lua script from within actions window and then pasted raw github text into it...is this wrong way?

I pasted raw github text into .txt file for faderbox(32)

both are in respective LBX subfolders in Resources/Scripts - Resources/Effects

I can add faderbox(32) to control track and start script and see smart knobs gui...once I add a plugin to a new track...664 error code
Hi,

Sorry - I probably need to make it clear - you need to install SWS extensions for the script to work.

http://www.sws-extension.org/
Old 08-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #110
Damster

Yes that did it! Both machines I had to update to the latest SWS extensions

Thank you so much!

Now to to map some plugs and put it through its paces I have some large sessions with varied plugs...will stay posted cheers lb0!!
Old 08-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #111
lb0

Quote:
Yes that did it! Both machines I had to update to the latest SWS extensions

Thank you so much!

Now to to map some plugs and put it through its paces I have some large sessions with varied plugs...will stay posted cheers lb0!!
Great - I've updated the github page to indicate SWS is required. I think I kind of assume everyone has the latest SWS as standard...
Old 08-21-2018, 01:13 AM   #112
Tiggerdyret

Hi, I just started using this script and plugins and it works great!
Is it possible to add more than 32 mapping to this plugin? Either by adding another instance or expanding the number of faders.
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:00 AM   #113
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdyret View Post
Hi, I just started using this script and plugins and it works great!
Is it possible to add more than 32 mapping to this plugin? Either by adding another instance or expanding the number of faders.
Hi - it should be as simple as loading more than one instance of FaderBox on the LBX_SKCTL track, then restarting the script.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:17 AM   #114
Tiggerdyret

Quote:
Hi - it should be as simple as loading more than one instance of FaderBox on the LBX_SKCTL track, then restarting the script.
Awesome, thanks
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:47 AM   #115
shady

could a random function be possible?

for the purpose of assigning all available fx parameters to all available slots on the midi controller
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #116
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
could a random function be possible?

for the purpose of assigning all available fx parameters to all available slots on the midi controller
It would be possible - but random? or just sequencially assigned (so they remain the same each time)?
Old 09-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #117
shady

both would suffice.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=206012
I just connected an additional keyboard and am exploring the possibilities..

but having a hard time mapping all my new found buttons to fx parameters automatically..
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:41 AM   #118
studer58

Quote:

I had a play with my aging ProjectMix IO which has motorized faders - and using a similar setup was able to get the faders in MIDI mode to work no problem here.?
I also have an ageing ProjjectMix IO like yours, and I've just found this discussion thread. Generally most of the functions work OK in Cubase or Mackie HUI mode in Reaper: faders, mute, solo and transport, but would your script enable me to use the ProjectMix rotary encoders to control Reaper plugin parameters.....as currently that's missing in both the modes mentioned ? I'm hoping your script will enable this...have you had any success on that front with your ProjectMix IO ?
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:01 AM   #119
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I also have an ageing ProjjectMix IO like yours, and I've just found this discussion thread. Generally most of the functions work OK in Cubase or Mackie HUI mode in Reaper: faders, mute, solo and transport, but would your script enable me to use the ProjectMix rotary encoders to control Reaper plugin parameters.....as currently that's missing in both the modes mentioned ? I'm hoping your script will enable this...have you had any success on that front with your ProjectMix IO ?
Yes. Perfectly.

Both faders and rotary encoders with feedback.

Basic setup - with IO in MIDI mode (press MIDI button)

- if you can program the MIDI outputs to say CC0-7 (encoders) + faders (if you want) CC8-16. All on same channel. (This is my default setup).

Then in Reaper - learn sliders 1-8 in faderbox to encoders 0-7 on the IO.

Then learn sliders 9-17 in faderbox to faders 9-17 on the IO.

Set midi feedback CCs to 0-31 in the Faderbox.
Set midi feedback channel to whatever the encoders/faders output on.

Then finally set a hardware midi output on the __LBX_SKCTL track to the ProjectMix IO Control.

Done - Smart Knobs will now translate all incoming fader and encoder movements (in MIDI mode) to your plugins - and faders and encoder positions will keep track of any changes in the plugins, and refresh when you change plugin etc.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:34 AM   #120
studer58

Great, thank you lb0 ....I'm sure other ProjectMix owners will find this of much help also !
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote