Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 09-17-2022, 09:02 PM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default Perfect Plate at a nice price

Not that you need another reverb, but this one is tremendously cool, unique and on sale: https://www.pluginboutique.com/produ...ntpage-nosto-3

I was happy to pay full price for my copy. Sounds awesome and a bunch of modulation and fx under the hood. Too bad lazy UI design has become so trendy... *sigh*
Old 09-18-2022, 05:15 AM   #2
maxdembo

I like this one, got it for £1

maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:23 AM   #3
foxAsteria

And for a moment I found myself thinking, that's a weird looking reverb...
Old 09-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #4
grinder

It certainly has been around!

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:07 PM   #5
martifingers

It's OK but I think it needs a service (I'll get my coat...)
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 05:22 PM   #6
grinder

Sticky Fingers now that was a band
I don't know that they were from farming stock though?

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:51 PM   #7
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Not that you need another reverb, but this one is tremendously cool, unique and on sale: https://www.pluginboutique.com/produ...ntpage-nosto-3

I was happy to pay full price for my copy. Sounds awesome and a bunch of modulation and fx under the hood. Too bad lazy UI design has become so trendy... *sigh*
To be fair to Denise; that's not laziness, it's just the kind of GUI you have to have if you want your plugins to use vector graphics and be infinitely scalable and consistent across all desktop and mobile platforms.

There are no gradients or textures in the future!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:28 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Everyone will wear matching white uniforms and all rooms in all houses and buildings will be 100% stark white.

Outside the utopian structures, the world will be dark from a lack of both physical and spiritual light, but at least there will be high contrast!

Edit: BTW, the perfect plate for me is OverTone DSP's RVB500. It sounds like the plate reverbs I remember hearing soloed on my drums in 24 track recording studios, and unlike Win/Mac only plugins, it is also available for native Linux. It has gradients and textures though, so it might not work in the future.

Last edited by Glennbo; 09-19-2022 at 06:49 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:42 AM   #9
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Everyone will wear matching white uniforms and all rooms in all houses and buildings will be 100% stark white.

Outside the utopian structures, the world will be dark from a lack of both physical and spiritual light, but at least there will be high contrast!
I lived that nightmare already!

Old 09-19-2022, 07:03 AM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
I lived that nightmare already!
THX1138 was found to be using using gradients, so they locked him up.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:33 AM   #11
foxAsteria

Quote:
To be fair to Denise; that's not laziness, it's just the kind of GUI you have to have if you want your plugins to use vector graphics and be infinitely scalable and consistent across all desktop and mobile platforms.

I've seen plenty of vector gfx interfaces that were both great to use and to look at. The problem here for me is it's just a bunch of cluttered text to look at. It's slow and intuitive to work with. I don't care about textures and gradients, but shadows are a very effective indicator of interactive elements. They even work better in vector, because they stand out more in a smooth interface, making controls very obvious.

The no-caps style adversely affects readability as much as ALL-CAPS would. Why choose that? It's nothing more than a trend extending from lazy text communication. It's a preference that leans toward "style," rather than utility.

Those are superficial nitpicks though. The laziness I refer to is mostly in the fact that the horizontal sliders can only be dragged up and down to change them. I'm calling it lazy because right above it we have parameters which don't even look like parameters, but they can be adjusted with left/right and up/down. Oh and they're also buttons. On the face of it though, they appear to be nothing more than labels.

When half the UI design can only be discovered by accident or by reading the manual, it fails to be intuitive (Yea I know that's a subjective word).

I call it lazy bc it's a design that is informed by the author's preference and convenience, rather than form following function. I don't know for a fact that a single, non-designer-coder built everything but I'd bet on it. The internal coding is obviously top notch. It's just as obvious someone with amateur-level design skills designed the interface. Or someone who thinks UI is merely a required afterthought.

If you want to see good vector design, look no further than Sai'ke's plugins. You can tell right away that artistic sensibilities have improved the experience. There are things I could criticize there (tiny tiny label-less buttons), but compared to denise UI...do I even need to say it?
Old 09-19-2022, 12:23 PM   #12
Softsynth

Image line, Cherry Audio , Surge XT, U-HE - off the top of my head, all examples where they aren't this ultra minimalist graphics.

Valhalla DSP choose the ultra minimalist look for vector but it's not mandatory.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 04:46 PM   #13
foxAsteria

Oof, Valhalla's the worst of the bunch. Putting the version number prominently on the interface in the same font size as any of the other info? Really? I'll ignore it because the sound is divine, but it honestly triggers me to see such bad design. Then they even try to romanticize the story of how they shot their designer in the foot. I'd sure hate to get credit for those eyesores...

Shimmer even has a gradient but...it's not helping a damned thing! All it's doing is drawing my eyes over and over again to the flipping name of the plugin! As if anyone can't tell it's made by valhalla! Arrgh!!

Not to mention, nothing else really says amateur/lazy designer than flipping gradients. Oi. Why not throw some star shaped lens flares on there while we're at it? Maybe some 3-D window edging would be nice... Oh but no, that sort of bling just won't do. valhalla draws the line at gradients.

Love U-he designs tho. Could do without the wood paneling, but clearly I'm never gonna be completely satisfied haha...

@maxdembo How is it I've never heard of this film?!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 09-19-2022 at 04:59 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:04 PM   #14
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Image line, Cherry Audio , Surge XT, U-HE - off the top of my head, all examples where they aren't this ultra minimalist graphics.

Valhalla DSP choose the ultra minimalist look for vector but it's not mandatory.
U-he, Cherry Audio and Shimmer aren't pure vector graphics, they have raster elements too.

I guess gradients can be rasterized on the fly, but textured elements can't.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:14 PM   #15
Judders

Quote:
Oof, Valhalla's the worst of the bunch. Putting the version number prominently on the interface in the same font size as any of the other info? Really? I'll ignore it because the sound is divine, but it honestly triggers me to see such bad design. Then they even try to romanticize the story of how they shot their designer in the foot. I'd sure hate to get credit for those eyesores...

Shimmer even has a gradient but...it's not helping a damned thing! All it's doing is drawing my eyes over and over again to the flipping name of the plugin! As if anyone can't tell it's made by valhalla! Arrgh!!

Not to mention, nothing else really says amateur/lazy designer than flipping gradients. Oi. Why not throw some star shaped lens flares on there while we're at it? Maybe some 3-D window edging would be nice... Oh but no, that sort of bling just won't do. valhalla draws the line at gradients.

Love U-he designs tho. Could do without the wood paneling, but clearly I'm never gonna be completely satisfied haha...

I can see you have strong feelings about this.

All I can say is that I like the Vintage Verb GUI. Sorry
Old 09-20-2022, 03:20 AM   #16
maxdembo

Quote:
Sheer cultural ignorance?

Its got one of the greatest soundtracks, and ambient noises in the film. Walter Murch was on fire while making that. Highly recommended for the sound, film is a bit of a bore, but still good. Lucas, because he cant help himself, went back and added extra CGI n stuff.

Reminds me, I must go back to that song I wrote in 1998 and add a slightly different bassline that sticks out like a sore thumb as completely out of place and unnecessary.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:07 AM   #17
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria
Dunno, and George Lucas has been raking it in from the THX standard for decades. It's no Star Wars though, a very very different kettle fish. More dystopian hell come fevered dream.
A few iconic designs here and there, and it's been sampled from the late eighties for all kinds of music.
Worth a look but it's no 1984.

Quote:
I can see you have strong feelings about this.

All I can say is that I like the Vintage Verb GUI. Sorry
+1.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:14 AM   #18
Judders

Quote:
Sheer cultural ignorance?

Its got one of the greatest soundtracks, and ambient noises in the film. Walter Murch was on fire while making that. Highly recommended for the sound, film is a bit of a bore, but still good. Lucas, because he cant help himself, went back and added extra CGI n stuff.

Reminds me, I must go back to that song I wrote in 1998 and add a slightly different bassline that sticks out like a sore thumb as completely out of place and unnecessary.
No!!! I can't believe he CG'd it.

Anyone who knows the NIN Downward Spiral album will recognise the sound of a robot cop beating someone on a TV program.

Not an amazing film, but an amazing debut.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:21 AM   #19
Softsynth

Quote:

Anyone who knows the NIN Downward Spiral album will recognise the sound of a robot cop beating someone on a TV program.

I've got it in both versions-it's much more subtle than the Star Wars effort.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:24 AM   #20
Judders

Quote:
I've got it in both versions-it's much more subtle than the Star Wars effort.
Good!

I've not seen it in years. Before the Star Wars special editions and Lucas "improving" his old films.

I still kick myself that I didn't buy the old versions and special editions on DVD when I saw the Star Wars box set in a bargain bin. Next thing I know new you couldn't buy the originals at all.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:34 AM   #21
Softsynth

Quote:
Good!

I've not seen it in years. Before the Star Wars special editions and Lucas "improving" his old films.

I still kick myself that I didn't buy the old versions and special editions on DVD when I saw the Star Wars box set in a bargain bin. Next thing I know new you couldn't buy the originals at all.
Yes I suggest that Lucas/Disney should be strong armed to release/preserve mint high-definition transfers in the absolute best possible quality of the original Star Wars films as we saw them in the theatre in the 70s-80s.

Not fudged versions to fit modern mores, cultural changes, changes in the plot, advancement in CGI methods.

That's an important part of our culture. I don't care about every penny they can make from every silly change they make. They can carry on with their franchise. Star Wars should be recognised as much more than just a cash cow.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:47 AM   #22
maxdembo

Quote:
Tbf, it was about 20 years ago he did it, so its quite old news, but still.

This, spot on correct -
Quote:
Back on topic with a nice plate (and a naughty one)...

Old 09-20-2022, 05:50 AM   #23
Judders

Quote:
Yes I suggest that Lucas/Disney should be strong armed to release/preserve mint high-definition transfers in the absolute best possible quality of the original Star Wars films as we saw them in the theatre in the 70s-80s.

Not fudged versions to fit modern mores, cultural changes, changes in the plot, advancement in CGI methods.

That's an important part of our culture. I don't care about every penny they can make from every silly change they make. They can carry on with their franchise. Star Wars should be recognised as much more than just a cash cow.

This guy has done some impressive work on the first film, but of course he can't release any of it:
Old 09-20-2022, 06:11 AM   #24
Softsynth

Quote:
This guy has done some impressive work on the first film, but of course he can't release any of it:
I remember that. Oh well the Disney juggernaut might eat itself I suppose. The vast amount of entertainment and news information platforms they have their fingers in it's perfect conspiracy fodder. Control the narrative on all fronts..
Old 09-20-2022, 08:37 AM   #25
maxdembo

Quote:
I remember that. Oh well the Disney juggernaut might eat itself I suppose. The vast amount of entertainment and news information platforms they have their fingers in it's perfect conspiracy fodder. Control the narrative on all fronts..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmy%...alized_Edition

This is freely available. Recommended.

EDIT: Oh and there is project 4K77, nearly forgot that one - https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Project-4K77/id/51666

Last edited by maxdembo; 09-20-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:13 AM   #26
Softsynth

Thanks I will look at those later.

I remember the "specialized" 720p home brew version which you could see streamed on one of the free services. However the quality was very poor, far far worse than DVD when streaming it, so I didn't bother. Otherwise it was torrent downloads - at the time I looked at that I had 2mbit broadband, I don't use torrents. Also people were selling bootleg versions on eBay - home printed DVD-Rs I imagine. The prices were not sensible.

It's been a long long time since I saw those movies, a long long time.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:04 AM   #27
foxAsteria

Quote:
and it's been sampled from the late eighties for all kinds of music.
That's what struck me right away...definitely heard the samples.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:28 AM   #28
Softsynth

Maxdembo,
I will look out for the 4K77 transfer.

Watched the two videos about the transfers thanks, those guys are hardcore fans, brilliant, impressive!

Even so even with the lovingly made 4K77 transfer I would expect far better results from a choice transfer from the professionals with deep pockets, SOTA transfer kit and most importantly access to multiple of the very best 35mm copies to choose from - no doubt paying top dollar and choosing the best frames from all and seamlessly correcting differences without scrubbing out film noise either. Good to see the analogue noise on the 4K transfer.

Quote:
That's what struck me right away...definitely heard the samples.
I experienced it that way around too. Probably first saw THX in mid to late noughties.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:13 PM   #29
maxdembo

Quote:
I would expect far better results from a choice transfer from the professionals with deep pockets...
I would suspect its already been done and is sitting in a vault somewhere, or its in the process of being done but Lucas has a "NOOOOOOOO!" clause in his sale to Disney.

We might have to wait a while yet but it'll happen. Its too much of an obvious cash grab for it not to happen, but the despecialised or 4K77 versions look better than they ever would seeing it the 70's at the cinema so I'm kinda satisfied tbh.

I've already bought these damn films multiple times over, I'm not gonna bother buying em again

Anyway, I prefer this version -

Last edited by maxdembo; 09-20-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:28 PM   #30
Softsynth

Quote:
I would suspect its already been done and is sitting in a vault somewhere, or its in the process of being done but Lucas has a "NOOOOOOOO!" clause in his sale to Disney.
+1
Indeed a version (or several) probably already exist.
I don't believe Disney would want to release it though - at least not until they ring the life out of it with every awful cash grab concept they can muster; IG88 The Early Years, Sand People Stories, Bespin Love Hotel In The Clouds..

Maybe though they will also have to consider the ageing demographic for the originals - potential customer base literally dying off!
Old 09-20-2022, 05:01 PM   #31
maxdembo

Yes, if only we could go back to those Star Wars artistically pure days of The Holiday Special and the Ewok movies and the vast toy line
Old 09-20-2022, 11:23 PM   #32
Judders

Quote:
Yes, if only we could go back to those Star Wars artistically pure days of The Holiday Special and the Ewok movies and the vast toy line
Yes, the badly acted pulp movies and crap plastic merchandising of my youth were important cultural events.

The badly acted pulp movies and crap plastic merchandising since then are culturally worthless and objectively terrible.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:39 AM   #33
Softsynth

Quote:
I had the figurines of course as a kid. Kerching!

Star Wars itself is not artistically pure. It's just great entertainment - especially in its day.

Ha ha, I've never sat through those. Seen bits of the utterly terrible Holiday Special, couldn't stomach the whole thing.

I don't think the holiday special was ever shown in the UK - at least not at prime time anyway. I understand Lucas wanted it buried. I remember seeing that the Ewok films were available on video - I was never tempted to see those either.

Let's face it the prequels and the sequels weren't great either. They had some good elements but mainly Star Wars is worse for their existence - other than acting as a cynical cash cow anyway.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:18 AM   #34
chacka

Quote:
And for a moment I found myself thinking, that's a weird looking reverb...
:-D
chacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:33 AM   #35
Frank Lee Scarlett

This is a great Star Wars thread. Anyone know where I can go to talk about plate reverbs?
Frank Lee Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:36 AM   #36
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
This is a great Star Wars thread. Anyone know where I can go to talk about plate reverbs?
Old 09-21-2022, 07:37 AM   #37
maxdembo

Quote:
NO. I don't want to watch a video. I want to talk to other hoo-mans.
You know what you want, yeah, you want the moon on a stick!

Old 09-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #38
Softsynth

£16.64 shouldn't be a lot of wonga for this "Perfect Plate" if it lives up to the name.

Picked up the Soundtoys and Arturia plates when they were free though. I tend to use IRs from Reverberate 3 or Valhalla plugins. I tend to like digital plates from other algorithms too. Not chasing ultimate authenticity, just something that sounds nice in the mix. Sometimes the ones that come with virtual instruments get mixed in the blend too.
Like Ree-Yees not sure where to look first!
Old 09-21-2022, 08:34 AM   #39
Judders

Quote:
Gearspace. Although the conversation will be entirely about M1 compatibility and lack of clean output gain.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #40
Glennbo

Quote:
£16.64 shouldn't be a lot of wonga for this "Perfect Plate" if it lives up to the name.

Picked up the Soundtoys and Arturia plates when they were free though. I tend to use IRs from Reverberate 3 or Valhalla plugins. I tend to like digital plates from other algorithms too. Not chasing ultimate authenticity, just something that sounds nice in the mix. Sometimes the ones that come with virtual instruments get mixed in the blend too.
Like Ree-Yees not sure where to look first!
On acoustic drums, Soundtoys Little Plate sounds great. I also got it when it was free, but since moving to Linux I wanted a native Linux plate and have found OverTone DSP's RVB500 to sound almost identical to Little Plate. In the 70s I was in 16 and 24 track analog studios all the time, and when we would solo the plate on drums, it had a certain sound that both Little Plate and RVB500 have. It's essentially like the ricochet sound on the snare from the song "Ohio" by the Pretenders, but much less pronounced.