Old 06-07-2022, 08:38 AM   #201
Hermetech Mastering
Human being with feelings

I grew up with LPs, still love records, and never stopped collecting vinyl, so it's all good with me.

Lots of my clients require vinyl premasters these days. I'm in the lucky position to own a number of vinyl releases which I have also mastered, so I can compare my digital master files with the finished result on vinyl (and subsequent digital rips of those).

I spent years (and a fair wad of money) getting a turntable front end to rival my digital chain. I wouldn't say one sounds 'better' than the other, they are just different, but I do feel vinyl is a more 'engaging' listen (and I'm quite happy to accept that may be confirmation bias).

It's not for everyone, it takes a lot of time, money and skill to correctly setup up a mechanical device like a turntable (much like doing a setup on an electric guitar, or a vintage car). If you're a nerd like me, then I think it's worth it. Not sure I would bother if I was born more recently and didn't already have a collection of thousands of them though...

It sparks joy for me, if it doesn't for you, then no harm done!
Hermetech Mastering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:28 AM   #202
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
It sparks joy for me, if it doesn't for you, then no harm done!
The internet could do with a random pandemic outbreak of 'each to their own' understanding
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:15 AM   #203
MiddleC

Yeah... this thread oozes "smug" about what is a fundamentally qualitative experience. I wish I could have back all the LPs I sold when CDs came out. My only defense is I was in my early teens at the time.
MiddleC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:50 PM   #204
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
I do feel vinyl is a more 'engaging' listen
I think that is because it is. You can't put your record collection on "shuffle" and let it play in the background while you ignore it in favor of other things.

Playing a record is a commitment to actually listening to the thing. Otherwise, why bother?
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:28 AM   #205
Reapology
Banned

Quote:
I wish I could have back all the LPs I sold when CDs came out.
Hmm.feeling quite the opposite..having many thousands of records can come with some difficulties.
Spent years going up n down flights of stairs,long walkways with heavy kg of record boxes..proper back breaker
Having to dedicate whole rooms of house to storage..moving house becomes a real task.

CD,for me,was a stab to the heart,plus the industry shooting itself in the foot..not only did they give away the good copy protection with vinyl..they actually started giving the music away for free (in my case..in form of the british libraries)
When cd first hit the scene- any library card holder could hire out over 10 items per visit..i totally abused this service without shame,and to date,literally bought less than a handful of cd. (booo to them!)

Then there is tape..heh..horrid music mangling devices..best left well alone..at least with vinyl there was always master plate originals which could not get mangled in a machine.

Quote:
You can't put your record collection on "shuffle" and let it play in the background while you ignore it in favor of other things.
Ermmm. jukebox? what ever happened to traditional english pubs,jukeboxes and social contact?
^Is getting phased out,in favour of ¦¦ insert brand name here ¦¦ stores mates!
Reapology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:40 AM   #206
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapology View Post
Ermmm. jukebox?
Do you have a jukebox? I mean that would be cool, but I don't either, and neither does anyone else.

Quote:
what ever happened to traditional english pubs,jukeboxes and social contact?
^Is getting phased out,in favour of ¦¦ insert brand name here ¦¦ stores mates!
They still have them, they are all just digital now. But even so, it's the same effect. A record on my turntable needs listened to because I put it there specifically to listen to it. A song on a jukebox is there because I stuck a quarter in the machine specifically to listen to it.

I want my money's worth!
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:40 PM   #207
Rambler_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
Do you have a jukebox? I mean that would be cool, but I don't either, and neither does anyone else.
My buddy has two working jukeboxes, filled with old 45's. They sound like shit mostly, but are pretty cool machines nonetheless.
Rambler_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:45 AM   #208
Reapology
Banned

Quote:
Do you have a jukebox?
Hahaa..no.
Just try and take away them dubplates from man dem..dubplates is like the roll_your_own approach.
Worth it to those who like to promote artists ahead of releases.

Reapology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:37 AM   #209
vss
Banned

Vinyl is very worth but you have to find secret shufflers converting phase into amplitude differences, otherwise you ll get crab instead of vinyl sound. Or you ll have to remix all with dualmono tracks amplitude panned.
vss is offline   Reply With Quote