Old 05-16-2022, 05:11 AM   #121
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleC View Post
Why are you resurrecting this thread? What is to be gained?
Not resurrecting it really. Just to shed some more light on it. Because so much different (and quite incorrect) info gets spread around about those subjects.

It is an old and obsolete sound recording\production technology.

I have my own "vision" on what or how a great digital sound recording could be but the tech. might not be possible.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:07 AM   #122
jerome_oneil
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
Actually I received what looked like a vinyl album in the mail some months back; I hadn't seen one of those in years so I forgot what a showcase the covers and inside could be for great art. It was a tribute to an old friend of mine who died years ago; members of his band decided to produce an album from old concert and studio recordings. In this case, though, you pulled the liner notes out of the sleeve and inside the notes was a CD. I thought that was brilliant, although I have no place to put it; vinyl albums require tall shelf spaces.
That is a really cool idea.

I pick up records of people I've never heard of all the time. And while the music itself is sometimes hit or miss, the album art and record sleeves never fails to impress.

I have no regrets.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:50 AM   #123
maxdembo

Steel Pole Bathtub's album Tulip was a bit of a disaster upon release, not very well mastered or produced, tho I dont know specifically which part of the process made things sound particularly terrible.

Anyway, I dont have a turntable, or any record collection (when I got rid of my vinyl, I kept a few, things that had been signed etc), but when they announced they were releasing a small run of Tulip, remastered, on decent vinyl, with all new art, sleeve notes, poster, etc etc. I had to buy it. My CD of the album is the same terrible production/mastering job.

It came with a download code. Never once played the record, and it sits in its box.

But god damn, its a lovely 'product', large images, booklet, fold out poster. Fantastic purchase and likely never to be printed again.

A CD release in record packaging sounds great to me. Tho tbh, so does record packaging and just a download code for the actual music

Last edited by maxdembo; 05-17-2022 at 07:00 AM.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:24 AM   #124
The Kid

Just buy a f#$%ng manga magazine or something, and read it while you play YouTube Music
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:29 AM   #125
maxdembo

Or I could support a band I love, and have the remastered version of the album, with large form artwork by the bass player.

Even as joke, your comment makes no sense.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:31 AM   #126
The Kid

Nothing makes no sense in this thread
Old 05-17-2022, 07:33 AM   #127
The Kid

Making bands "we love" jump through hoops to make them "deserve our support", when we could just buy the high quality file, makes no sense.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:34 AM   #128
maxdembo

I literally just explained it to you. Its not rocket science.

Some people like supporting the artist, and having a better version of an album from nearly 30 years ago, made on the cheap in someones garage, from a band that dont exist any more, from an artist I regularly buy artwork from.

None of that is available as a f"*(cking manga or on youtube.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:35 AM   #129
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
Making bands "we love" jump through hoops to make them "deserve our support", when we could just buy the high quality file, makes no sense.
No one 'made the band' do anything, they were unhappy with the release and wanted to re-do it.

Stop just trying to have an argument based entirely on your own perspective when you havent paid any attention to whats just been said and havent made any effort to enquire or understand.

Just throwing your own bitterness up and at someone is kinda pointless.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:40 AM   #130
The Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
No one 'made the band' do anything, they were unhappy with the release and wanted to re-do it.

Stop just trying to have an argument based entirely on your own perspective when you havent paid any attention to whats just been said and havent made any effort to enquire or understand.

Just throwing your own bitterness up and at someone is kinda pointless.
You got me figured out huh?
Old 05-17-2022, 07:45 AM   #131
The Kid

I was happy with the thread dead, but they digged it out. Fine.
Unless we give value to digital products, this stupid trend will continue to "grow"
Old 05-17-2022, 07:50 AM   #132
maxdembo

No, I'm just replying to the tone and comments you've made, and was replying to the thread and posts just above mine. I was joining in with the conversation with a record release that came out.

You then brought all manner of weirdness and swearing into the situation without having a clue what was being talked about or making any effort to actually have a conversation.

Im asking you to stop doing that. I havent figured you out at all, wouldnt claim too.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:53 AM   #133
maxdembo

Quote:
I was happy with the thread dead, but they digged it out. Fine.
Unless we give value to digital products, this stupid trend will continue to "grow"
I'll say this for the last time.

It wasnt part of a trend. A band from 30 years ago who put an album out self financed, werent happy with the results. The bass player is now a full time artist, and wanted to re-do the album art too. The booklet is a history of the band and the album. It was a short, self financed and released album, on way better vinyl than the original release. The band are big vinyl fans. The original album art was made from found items so the art had to be re-done for re-release and cleared legally. Not sure they found the artist or owner so things had to be changed.

The band LOVED doing this second release, and I bought it.

Honestly, get over your attitude and actually have a conversation and you might not create an argument.

EDIT: Its a forum for anyone to join in, its not YOUR thread. Adding you to my ignore list as this is just tedious beyond compare.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:06 AM   #134
The Kid

Musicians were never the brightest of the bunch.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:18 AM   #135
maxdembo

Quote:
Wow. More rudeness instead of making any conversational effort or any attempts to understand why the band wanted to do this (especially seeing as they split up 30 years ago, not long after that album came out).

I can see why you get no sales now. That 'trend' will inevitably continue, and there will be no one to blame but yourself, while you're busy blaming a 'trend'.

Good luck with that! Time for me to do something more productive, like design some art for a music release (or I could just make some doctors waiting room music and put it on youtube with a static image and then moan about the world).
Old 05-17-2022, 08:20 AM   #136
The Kid

I thought I was being ignored.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:28 AM   #137
maxdembo

Quote:
I thought I was being ignored.
Hahah I can still click 'show post' Its always worth checking out if someone has decided to actually have a conversation.

Sadly not. Too busy shooting yourself in the foot.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:50 AM   #138
The Kid

Quote:
Hahah I can still click 'show post' Its always worth checking out if someone has decided to actually have a conversation.

Sadly not. Too busy shooting yourself in the foot.
I don't want to have a conversation with you.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:58 AM   #139
maxdembo

Quote:
I don't want to have a conversation with you.
7 replies, and you initiating contact/interaction with the conversation would suggest otherwise. There is a lesson there.

I hope your day improves.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:05 AM   #140
The Kid

Quote:
7 replies, and you initiating contact/interaction with the conversation would suggest otherwise. There is a lesson there.

I hope your day improves.
This is a proper argument, not a conversation. Your mellow tone suggests a rudeness worse than mine.
If I see something that is BS, I say something.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:20 AM   #141
maxdembo

Quote:
This is a proper argument, not a conversation. Your mellow tone suggests a rudeness worse than mine.
If I see something that is BS, I say something.
Sigh, check your first comment after mine, and subsequent replies. You were rude and swearing right from the off because someone posted about a relevant vinyl experience in a thread you've decided is closed, or something.

This is the second time, in this thread, that you've just been out and out rude for someone daring to post something reasonable.

And deleting work because of one person, on one forum, in one thread, is very silly. I would urge you not to do that.

EDIT: Mods, apologies, this has gone completely off topic. I'll take further replies private.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:32 AM   #142
Glennbo

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:55 AM   #143
maxdembo

Old 05-18-2022, 07:18 AM   #144
Glennbo

That was never five minutes!
Old 05-18-2022, 07:28 AM   #145
Rambler_Man

I like the physicality of vinyl. I can hold it in my hands and appreciate the physical reality of its presence in my life. It takes up space. It has a smell and a feel. These things trigger memories in a way that digital files don't because it's not just a bunch of ones and zeros on a computer.

As well, I never have to worry about a licensing agreement expiring and having a album disappear like they sometimes do on streaming platforms. I also appreciate the fact that vinyl is the original lossless format. MP3's are fine for general listening, but a truly analogue LP properly mastered and played on a decent sound system is a sonic revelation. Some call it warmth. Whatever it is, there's something to it.

That said, I don't have a huge collection of vinyl. Maybe 130 records in total. But each one of those records represent a favorite album. I can put those on and leave them to play. If they wear out, I'll replace them. With decent, properly calibrated equipment, you can easily get upwards of 500 play-throughs before there's any noticeable degradation.

On the other hand, I also like the convenience of Spotify for portability and ease of use. I listen to Spotify in my car and through my Bluetooth speaker on the deck when enjoying a beer in the summer.

I guess what I'm saying is that there's a place for both. There's no need to posture and label people as hipsters because they like vinyl. Maybe some collect it for the wrong reasons, but it's their money so who cares?

The important thing is that you are listening to the music you love in the way that best suits you.
Rambler_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:28 AM   #146
Reapology
Banned

Hehe- i used to have and play many thousands of records (about 30yrs) part owned/run a record shop for about 4yrs..eventually decided digital was the way forward..sold everything..enjoy early rat race retiring and not looked back once..although do still have a craving to pick up vinyl now n then,it just is not happening anymore here.

There is still a ton of dj that swear by vinyl..lots of indi labels still printing..of course it is worth it,if it pleases you and customers.
There was a slight revival for retro,nostalgia reasons i suppose.
Reapology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:39 AM   #147
Lynx_TWO

One thing to consider especially if you have a large vinyl collection: Vinyl offgases things like vinyl chloride, ethylene dichloride, mercury, dioxins and furans, and PCBs. So as I told a buddy of mine who has 600 vinyls, get them out of your bedroom else you’ll possibly get that turbo-cancer
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:10 PM   #148
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
One thing to consider especially if you have a large vinyl collection: Vinyl offgases things like vinyl chloride, ethylene dichloride, mercury, dioxins and furans, and PCBs. So as I told a buddy of mine who has 600 vinyls, get them out of your bedroom else you’ll possibly get that turbo-cancer
Tbf, thats probably true for most things in our houses these days, and all/most studio products

You just made me realise why I should only buy fabric covered patch cables
Old 05-20-2022, 02:34 PM   #149
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Everyone dies of something, mang!
Old 05-20-2022, 04:58 PM   #150
serr

Quote:
That's OK. It's an older house and the lead paint offsets that.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:05 AM   #151
Pink Wool

And the asbestos!
Pink Wool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:12 AM   #152
Hypex

Quote:

That's funny. I remember my father quoting some guy talking about his daughter going out with a guitarist. And he called him "Just another dumb guitar pickin' man." Which is amusing, as to really play guitar requires discipline and skill along with natural talent. Something you can't learn with a high IQ. Or even average IQ. Knowing theory only goes so far if you lack practise. :-P
Hypex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:57 AM   #153
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
And the asbestos!
Plus, the calls are coming from inside the house!
Old 05-21-2022, 12:50 PM   #154
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypex View Post
That's funny. I remember my father quoting some guy talking about his daughter going out with a guitarist. And he called him "Just another dumb guitar pickin' man." Which is amusing, as to really play guitar requires discipline and skill along with natural talent. Something you can't learn with a high IQ. Or even average IQ. Knowing theory only goes so far if you lack practise. :-P
Just to add to that... Musicians on average have higher IQs and cognitive abilities. The "dumb musician" misnomer is a conflation between IQ/cognitive ability and level of education (notwithstanding autistic savants etc.).

Being a musician for 40 years and working with hundreds and hundreds of musicians over that time; musicians are no dummies. Many may be lacking basic knowledge in certain areas because they were instead always practicing. That's not an IQ deficiency though, and many of the most intelligent people I've ever met are either musicians or in technology (often both) and honestly they are both often strikingly familiar.

Bruce Dickenson pilots a 757 and he's just a random example of many.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:01 PM   #155
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
ruce Dickenson pilots a 757 and he's just a random example of many.
And Jeff "Skunk" Baxter is a self taught rocket scientist who's been called in to speak at Pentagon meetings.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:04 PM   #156
SmajjL

Real feelings and emotions can't be teached, ok, "real" maby introduced as real for a crowd 'ala Hollywood, but i say there is real and very real'est, then

Oops! *this is not my room*

*meep meep*
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:38 AM   #157
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Just to add to that... Musicians on average have higher IQs and cognitive abilities. The "dumb musician" misnomer is a conflation between IQ/cognitive ability and level of education (notwithstanding autistic savants etc.).

Being a musician for 40 years and working with hundreds and hundreds of musicians over that time; musicians are no dummies. Many may be lacking basic knowledge in certain areas because they were instead always practicing. That's not an IQ deficiency though, and many of the most intelligent people I've ever met are either musicians or in technology (often both) and honestly they are both often strikingly familiar.

That's "Doctor Brian May" to us morans.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:04 AM   #158
Hypex

Quote:

I can imagine. For one thing they would need a good memory to memorise not only lyrics but notes and patterns. I wrote a few songs in my twilight twenties, like a young person does, but no way even back then could I remember the words! :-D

Quote:

It's easy to think that only high education means intelligence. But higher learning requires intelligence to begin with, I have a relatively low education but friends would come to me for computer problems. Encouraged by my hobby of programming. I thought it was common in the 80s. :-)
Hypex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:12 AM   #159
SmajjL

I see REAPER have some interesting features since v6+ and want to try stuff and do some re-mixing fun NOW, but it turns out i am waaaay to slow now and have lots to realearn and catch up, new discoveries are there because people ain't stopping making new stuff.. wiie! so? let's learn in my own phase, fantastic'o

I do remember one teacher's teachings in school, because he made me/US Laugh so hard and did not give up in "3 minutes"

And re-mixing involved finding some dusty CDs, some more than dust, scratches.. but was still able to rip it, wow, puh
A timemachine so i could go back and SLAP! myself would be nice
So can anyone make that machine for me, like tomorrow? why not? ahh- i see

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-25-2022 at 12:31 PM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:55 PM   #160
GrimRP

Love vinyl sound
GrimRP is offline   Reply With Quote