Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-07-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
beginnerplayer666
Human being with feelings

Default How to deal with hearing clean sound on top of fx sound

I noticed that I can hear my electric guitar's clean sound at the same time as my fx effects. At first I assumed that I was just hearing the guitar itself but now I know that I'm hearing both through my studio monitors. I'm using a scarlett solo.

Anyone know how I can deal with this issue? When I toggle direct monitoring on and off it seems to lesson it but not eliminate it...or at least it seems that way.

any thoughts on this?
beginnerplayer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
OldTascam

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginnerplayer666 View Post
I noticed that I can hear my electric guitar's clean sound at the same time as my fx effects. At first I assumed that I was just hearing the guitar itself but now I know that I'm hearing both through my studio monitors. I'm using a scarlett solo.

Anyone know how I can deal with this issue? When I toggle direct monitoring on and off it seems to lesson it but not eliminate it...or at least it seems that way.

any thoughts on this?
Do you by any chance have the "Direct Monitor" (or whatever it's called on your interface) button/switch engaged? If so, the interface is routing your input signal to your phones/monitors as well as to Reaper.
OldTascam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
ChrisBlue

I've had the same issue. Don't know what was causing it but when I switched my guitar pickup to a single rather than the double setting it seemed to stop the issue
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
beginnerplayer666

ok this all makes sense now. turning off direct monitoring minimized the issue....but then switching to using one pickup instead of two eliminated it completely...well as far as I can tell. problem solved for me. but I'm just using reaper for guitar practice for now. I haven't started recording anything yet.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #5
Judders

The number of pickups you're using shouldn't make any difference.

What effects are you using? Plugins? A hardware effects box?

With some plugins they expect a mono input, but REAPER always gives them a stereo input unless you change the track I/O. This ends up with the left channel being effected and the right channel passing clean.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
beginnerplayer666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
The number of pickups you're using shouldn't make any difference.

What effects are you using? Plugins? A hardware effects box?

With some plugins they expect a mono input, but REAPER always gives them a stereo input unless you change the track I/O. This ends up with the left channel being effected and the right channel passing clean.
https://imgur.com/3oXcm2a
Old 12-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
Judders

Quote:
Okay, I've not had that problem with Ignite Emissary, but it's worth a shot anyway.

On the Emissary plugin, click where it says 2 in / 2 out (between Param and UI buttons), try setting both inputs to channel 1, or just turn off channel 2:

My guess is that switching to one pickup instead of two just makes it less audible. Direct monitoring will always bring the clean signal through, but if you're still hearing the clean guitar with direct monitoring off then something else is awry.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #8
beginnerplayer666

Quote:
Okay, I've not had that problem with Ignite Emissary, but it's worth a shot anyway.

On the Emissary plugin, click where it says 2 in / 2 out (between Param and UI buttons), try setting both inputs to channel 1, or just turn off channel 2:

My guess is that switching to one pickup instead of two just makes it less audible. Direct monitoring will always bring the clean signal through, but if you're still hearing the clean guitar with direct monitoring off then something else is awry.
Well, i guess after switching off direct monitoring, still hearing the clean sound was either in my head or I was hearing directly from the strings to my ears(as apposed to strings, through audio interface, through DAW, through monitors to my ears).

How I just came to this conclusion is that I recorded myself doing a riff with direct monitoring off, then on, then off again...then I just listened through my monitors and could hear the difference. When direct monitoring is off, it doesn't record my clean sound, and the tone sounds better. I did this using both my pickups.

Hope what I just said makes sense.

Also I adjusted the settings like you said and it made it sound even better, which is a plus.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
Judders

Quote:
Well, i guess after switching off direct monitoring, still hearing the clean sound was either in my head or I was hearing directly from the strings to my ears(as apposed to strings, through audio interface, through DAW, through monitors to my ears).

How I just came to this conclusion is that I recorded myself doing a riff with direct monitoring off, then on, then off again...then I just listened through my monitors and could hear the difference. When direct monitoring is off, it doesn't record my clean sound, and the tone sounds better. I did this using both my pickups.

Hope what I just said makes sense.

Also I adjusted the settings like you said and it made it sound even better, which is a plus.
It's easy for our ears to play tricks on us!
Old 12-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #10
beginnerplayer666

Quote:
It's easy for our ears to play tricks on us!
haha yeah.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:57 PM   #11
Tattersail Nightwish

Quote:
I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having this exact same issue (new to Reaper).

"With some plugins they expect a mono input, but REAPER always gives them a stereo input unless you change the track I/O. This ends up with the left channel being effected and the right channel passing clean."

Where exactly do you do this?

I'm also having this problem when routing a dry input signal to an FX chain track. Once I do that and pan the input (guitar) track, I lose the effect and have the dry signal.
Could that be solved somewhere on the attached image?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (28.7 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Tattersail Nightwish; 03-09-2024 at 11:09 PM. Reason: addition
Tattersail Nightwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 05:18 AM   #12
mindlessgenius

In your screenshot, what you can do is to in the topmost line change "send to master" from "All" to channel 1.

For plugins which demand a mono input you can change the plugin IO in the plugin window itself:

Press the button where (in this case) it says "1 in+out", which should bring up a window like this:

Here make sure only one channel goes into the plugin.
mindlessgenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 11:51 AM   #13
jnorman34

Put the fx on a separate buss, route the track to the buss, select pre-fader, and pull the fader on the track all the way down.
jnorman34 is online now   Reply With Quote