Old 04-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v5.79pre10 - April 9 2018

v5.79pre10 - April 9 2018
+ API: export LICE_DrawCBezier, LICE_FillCBezier
+ MIDI editor: ensure edit cursor visible when opening a new editor
+ MIDI editor: improve track list activation behavior [t=204728]
+ MIDI editor: in source beats piano roll view, show edit cursor position relative to source
+ Notation: if auto-zoomed-in when switching to notation, ensure edit cursor visible
+ VST: support wantsChannelCountNotifications canDo
# Batch converter: fix samplerate conversion issue with mainthread_reset updates [p=1976823]
# JSFX: -18dbFS default gain for js/schwa/gaussian_noise_generator [t=205410]

Full changelog - Latest pre-releases

Last edited by Edgemeal; 04-09-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
Edgemeal

Quote:
Thank You!

Now you just need to center the cursor in the ME when it opens!
FWIW, In previous versions I run the action "View: Go to edit cursor" to get the the cursor into view and that also centers the cursor in the ME window (when space allows it), that action does not center the cursor in this Pre.

Last edited by Edgemeal; 04-09-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
zappsunzorn

I credit my experience with live sound to this not being a problem for me, but this is definitely a good default.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
ovnis

Quote:
Is it possible to edit all midi items (with LUA or Note velocity, for exemple) without actived them ? When we have lots of midi items to edit, it can be painfull to repeat again and again the same procedure !

It seems to be possible to edit all midi items with the quantize edit in a single way !
Gain of time...

Last edited by ovnis; 04-09-2018 at 08:23 PM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
Is it possible to edit all midi items (with LUA or Note velocity, for exemple) without actived them ? When we have lots of midi items to edit, it can be painfull to repeat again and again the same procedure !
It would be also extremely useful, as I said in another pre thread, to be able to activate any item in the notation editor just by clicking on its staff or any similar way.(This could even be a toggle mode which could be set by an action, for more flexibility). When you enter notes with a midi controller, it´s quite annoying to be forced to activate every item to insert events on it. (Again, Justin, sorry for the insistence and for plugging a FR in this thread, but you´re near the core of this issue with this pre)
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #6
juliansader

Quote:
The MIDI editor can have only one Active item, but can have multiple *Editable* items. If an item is editable, you can edit events in them like the active item (but cannot insert new notes or CCs). In the track list, you can see and change the items' four possible state: Active, Editable, Visible, Hidden.

The MIDI editor also has other option (in the menu or right-click on the track list): "Draw and edit CC events on all tracks" / "Edit CC events on all tracks".

In the case of Lua scripts, you are unfortunately out of luck. Lua scripts cannot get or set the list of editable or visible items -- except by using a slow workaround that is not always reliable -- so scripts cannot easily be used to edit any takes other than the active take. Please support the Feature Request: Functions to get and set editable/visible state of takes in MIDI editor.

Last edited by juliansader; 04-09-2018 at 11:22 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:11 PM   #7
juliansader

Quote:
It seems to be possible to edit all midi items with the quantize edit in a single way !
Some of the built-in MIDI editor actions only affect the active take, others affect all editable takes. (BTW, I have uploaded a language pack to ReaPack that adds "all editable" or "active take only" to all these actions.)

Beware of the Quantize action, though. There is an old but dangerous bug: Quantize window applies wrong settings to non-active tracks.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #8
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
+ Notation: if auto-zoomed-in when switching to notation, ensure edit cursor visible
Wow, improvements in zooming behavior!

Over the years, there have been many threads and debates about proper zooming behavior. I have recently tried to summarize a minimal set of FRs that would satisfy (almost?) everyone.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:24 PM   #9
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
It would be also extremely useful, as I said in another pre thread, to be able to activate any item in the notation editor just by clicking on its staff or any similar way.
You can activate an item by clicking on the name to the left of the staff.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:30 AM   #10
EvilDragon

Ruler truncating still happens...

Please devs, take a look at this GIF that I made months ago, which clearly explains issues with MIDI editor re-zooming and ruler shenanigans which are negatively impacting workflow.

In one MIDI editor per project mode, this ruler truncating should NEVER happen, we should always be able to scroll back to bar 1 of the project, regardless of which items are set as editable/visible. And instead of changing the zoom level when selecting items outside of MIDI editor's viewport, Reaper should SCROLL there. The only time it should change the zoom level is when we double-click on the item in the arrange. If we just change item selection (when item selection is linked to both editability and visibility), zoom level should NEVER change, and ruler should NEVER truncate. No other DAW behaves like Reaper does in this case, to my knowledge, and this is one of main reasons a lot of people say MIDI is "shit" in Reaper. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure I am.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 04-10-2018 at 02:38 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:51 AM   #11
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
And instead of changing the zoom level when selecting items outside of MIDI editor's viewport, Reaper should SCROLL there. The only time it should change the zoom level is when we double-click on the item in the arrange. If we just change item selection (when item selection is linked to both editability and visibility), zoom level should NEVER change
As summarized in my link above, this should be an option. Personally, I would find it very annoying if the MIDI editor always scrolls to the start of a large item, instead of zoom-to-fit or -- more preferably -- returning to the last-used position and zoom level.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:27 AM   #12
EvilDragon

Ideally it should scroll centered to where you click with the mouse cursor on the item in the arrange view, not to the beginning of the item - at least in the case when you click on a single item, rather than marquee multiple. In case of marquee selection, it should scroll first trying to retain edit cursor position, and if that fails, then center to the middle of marquee range, perhaps?
Old 04-10-2018, 03:48 AM   #13
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
You can activate an item by clicking on the name to the left of the staff.
Thank you Julian!!! I missed that one!
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:04 AM   #14
tusitala

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: in source beats piano roll view, show edit cursor position relative to source
+ VST: support wantsChannelCountNotifications canDo
# Batch converter: fix samplerate conversion issue with mainthread_reset updates [p=1976823]

Thank you very much guys!

It's already much much better and more usable than the official 5.78, thanks!!!
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:39 AM   #15
tusitala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
It would be also extremely useful, as I said in another pre thread, to be able to activate any item in the notation editor just by clicking on its staff or any similar way.(This could even be a toggle mode which could be set by an action, for more flexibility). When you enter notes with a midi controller, it´s quite annoying to be forced to activate every item to insert events on it. (Again, Justin, sorry for the insistence and for plugging a FR in this thread, but you´re near the core of this issue with this pre)

I agree, and even better would be to have an option to also record arm the active item, so that when we input/write notes we can also hear the correct instrument playing and so we can better audition what we are about to record.

It's a bit like Logic works in this sense, which I find quite intuitive:

Hope this could be helpful.

Thanks!
-t
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #16
cfillion

Quote:
Works perfectly. Thanks!
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #17
Edgemeal

Quote:
Ideally it should scroll centered to where you click with the mouse cursor on the item in the arrange view, not to the beginning of the item - at least in the case when you click on a single item
Thats exactly my simple workflow so totally agree. When the ME opens this Pre puts the data & cursor in view where I clicked the midi item in arrange BUT the data & cursor are to the left of center (about 2? bars), and then each mouse wheel rotation to zoom in then shifts the data/cursor towards the center.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #18
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Ruler truncating still happens...

Please devs, take a look at this GIF that I made months ago, which clearly explains issues with MIDI editor re-zooming and ruler shenanigans which are negatively impacting workflow.

In one MIDI editor per project mode, this ruler truncating should NEVER happen, we should always be able to scroll back to bar 1 of the project, regardless of which items are set as editable/visible. And instead of changing the zoom level when selecting items outside of MIDI editor's viewport, Reaper should SCROLL there. The only time it should change the zoom level is when we double-click on the item in the arrange. If we just change item selection (when item selection is linked to both editability and visibility), zoom level should NEVER change, and ruler should NEVER truncate. No other DAW behaves like Reaper does in this case, to my knowledge, and this is one of main reasons a lot of people say MIDI is "shit" in Reaper. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure I am.
Thanks, I think pre11 should address most of this...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #19
Robert Randolph

Quote:

Thank you for fixing this.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #20
Edgemeal

Quote:
FWIW, In previous versions I run the action "View: Go to edit cursor" to get the the cursor into view and that also centers the cursor in the ME window (when space allows it), that action does not center the cursor in this Pre.
Never mind, The action still works as before (in pre12 also), I just had to enable auto-scroll, disable auto-scroll, wait until play head was out of view then run the action.
But re-enabling auto-scroll does not work, unless you zoom out enough so the play head is seen, sort of weird LOL!

Last edited by Edgemeal; 04-11-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #21
juliansader

Quote:
What do these LICE functions do?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #22
EvilDragon

I guess draw a bezier curve and a filled bezier (if it's a closed loop)?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #23
schwa
Administrator

They are the functions REAPER uses to draw envelopes.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote