Old 12-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
Marantz
Human being with feelings

Default Akai Mini Mpk and Midi Mapping to Actions

Hello, I'm new to Midi but have been trying hard to understand it.

I have an Akai Mini MPK v.2.

It has 8 pads, 8 knobs, a couple of octaves of small keys. I love it, take it to a coffee shop and work!

I finished writing programs for it via its Editor. It can only transmit over 2 midi channels at a time...works like this:

Pads for one midi channel
Keyboard and Knobs for the other midi channel.

and these are described as "Program 1" of a total of 4 Programs at a time.

Pad 1 = Program 1 = 2 midi channels of your choice
Pad 2 = Program 2 = ^
Pad 3 = Program 3 = ^
Pad 4 = Program 4 = ^

So what I did was create 16 text files that you send via the Editor to the Akai mini.

Like - "Channel 10, and Channel 1" then ch. 10 and ch. 2, then ch. 10. and ch. 3...and so on, all the way to ch.16.

This way I always have Ch. 10 for drums, but I assigned controllers to midi channel 1 over 4 knobs. So in actions, I linked, knob 1 to 'selected track volume', knob 2 to 'selected track Pan', knob 3 to 'Master Volume', and knob 4 to 'move edit cursor'.

Except the above only worked for Midi ch. 1 I quickly found out as I tried Midi ch. 2.

So, I had to manually link ch. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 in the Actions Menu. So that the 4 knobs would behave the same over these channels. I made a template out of this.

Question one: Is there better way to do this rather than manually assigning all 16 channels separately to an Action?

Next, I needed to test each midi channel to make sure it was sending correctly. So with an Instance of HyperCanvas running I could see the 16 separate midi channels like a strip of tracks light up on midi 1, 4, 9 whatever, so I knew what midi channel the Akai was sending out.

Question two: Is there an fx in Reaper that will do the same? I'd rather not have to rely on a 3rd party plugin for this, if possible.
Marantz is offline   Reply With Quote