Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 04-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #1
Scottsdale
Human being with feelings

Default Accessibility bug: sliders in the FX window (present in all Cockos plugins)

Hi,

When using Cockos plugins, there seems to be some sort of bug in how sliders in the FX window are communicating with automation. I'll describe the symptoms best I can. I'm using Reaper 5.975 X64, and am seeing the same unexpected behaviour from both Windows and Mac builds.

1. Create a new track, and instantiate ReaComp.

2. In the FX window, move the Threshold slider to -5 dB.

Here's where things get tricksy...

3. If you attempt to further modify the value of that Threshold slider to say -10 dB via automation, that change isn't reflected in the FX window. Furthermore, that -10 dB value specified via automation gets discarded by the OSARA FX Parameters dialog (which screen reader users rely on to get access to automation parameters).

Now let's illustrate that the sliders are the issue...

4. Create another new track, and instantiate a fresh copy of ReaComp on it.

5. This time, manually type -5 dB into the Threshold text box instead of using the slider.

6. Try again to adjust that value to -10 dB via automation, and you should find that this time, the adjustment is reflected as expected in the FX window. It also functions in conjunction with our parameters dialog that enhances accessibility.

So far as I can tell, all sliders across the board in Cockos plugins are afflicted. I'm yet to observe the same behaviour from any third party plugins, but to be fair I'm testing with pretty slim pickings.

Screen reader users rely pretty heavily on automation parameters to be productive, so this one's a biggy for us.

I can follow up with a recorded demo of the bug if necessary.

Thanks in advance for anything you can do.

Scott

Last edited by Scottsdale; 04-30-2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Re-tested to confirm that this is still broken in 5.975, and tweaked for clarity
Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #2
Scottsdale
Human being with feelings

Got all hot under the collar when I read "+ FX: optimize automated parameter control surface notifications" in the change log for 5.975, but nope, unfortunately this is still dicey.

*bump*
Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote