Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 04-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #1
lerian
Human being with feelings

Default Few things that can make a better user experience

There are a few things that triggers me so i will list them here hoping that others agree with me and maybe devs will address.

1. Regions

- Regions & markers look - give up the rounded corners and the border, to make them look cleaner.
- Region folders - allow region groups and child-regions
- Allow multiple regions to be selected using shift-click and dragged around together
- When moving regions around show markers on both start and end, dotted line, not only start OR end.
- Click on region selects the region. Delete key when region is selected deletes the region, not the items in the track

- Also not a region thing but delete the horizontal line between first and secondary time unit. It only adds visual clutter right now.

2. FX

- Right click on plugins in the fx list should only open contextual menu rather than first loading the plugin. It takes unncessary time and resources to open the plugin first, just to be deleted or copied.

- TCP embedded plugins UI - make it more logical when responsive, e.g. keep them stretched horizontally if tcp width smaller than "x". Replace the name/open window external label on the left side and overlay the name below, and a open in window button/icon in the right/up corner to make things look more aligned, coherent and keep OCD away

- TCP/MCP embeded plugins (especially analyzer one) to use track color or custom color to draw the graphic.

3. Media item properties window

- Better organize all the fields to make it more intuitive and easy to work with

List is open, i will update it as i find more things that can get better imo. If you think of anything else leave a comment so maybe we can make the list bigger, and maybe later add a poll to see which ones will be the most voted.
lerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:02 PM   #2
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerian View Post
There are a few things that triggers me so i will list them here hoping that others agree with me and maybe devs will address.

1. Regions

- Regions & markers look - give up the rounded corners and the border, to make them look cleaner.
- Allow multiple regions to be selected using shift-click and dragged around together
- When moving regions around show markers on both start and end, dotted line, not only start OR end.
- Click on region selects the region. Delete key when region is selected deletes the region, not the items in the track
+1000. These are all SO spot on. I would bribe the devs any possible way short of anything illegal to get all of the above changes. Honestly, I would move these to a feature request rather than here where not as many eyes are on it.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #3
ivansc

Me too! I would love to see teh Devs pick up on this.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #4
Phazma

All great suggestions! And I have a ton of such user experience suggestions to add when I have a little time..

To your initial suggestions I would add:

1. Regions
- Rename region on double click (rather than set time selection). It is easily possible to set the time selection via ctrl+doubleclick, but for renaming currently one has to right-click > edit region. Too cumbersome.

3. Media item properties window
Here is already a FR with a great mockup for a better layout: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=248895
You could +1 it if you like that layout. I certainly do.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #5
Denys

That one would be fantastic. I usually have a big region for render and a lot of smaller ones to see my track's construction, but they sometimes overlap weirdly.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:27 AM   #6
bFooz

+1. Very low hopes.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:41 AM   #7
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
All great suggestions! And I have a ton of such user experience suggestions to add when I have a little time..

To your initial suggestions I would add:

1. Regions
- Rename region on double click (rather than set time selection). It is easily possible to set the time selection via ctrl+doubleclick, but for renaming currently one has to right-click > edit region. Too cumbersome.
Shift+ Double click edits region

M
Old 12-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #8
Senpai_Yank

+1
Quality of life improvements which shouldn't be too much time consuming to add.
Senpai_Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #9
DrKev

Only one point I disagree on is this...

Quote:
Regions can overlap, the rounded corners and borders makes that easier to see. It would be nice to have theming control over it though. And to be able to automatically color from a text file palette the same way takes do.
Old 12-19-2021, 04:15 AM   #10
ivansc

8 months on & no sign of interest from the devs....

Let us hope this gains more traction soon.