Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-31-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
ultramagnus_tcv
Human being with feelings

Default Is there no hope for noise like this...

So, when this person was speaking, he bumped his desk and his laptop screen started wobbling adding the clicking noise on top of his audio.

I watch Kenny's video on background noise. It's rightly focused on background noise like AC hum. But this is different. I played around with ReaFIR, but I don't know what I'm doing. I can't really see what part of the waveform is the click and what part is the voice. The entirety of it clearly shows the clicks, but I can't seem to isolate it.

I'm willing to read/watch something if anyone wants to point something out. Meanwhile, I've attached a zip file with a PNG of the waveform and a WAV of the audio.

Cheers,

Mike Whalen

Last edited by ultramagnus_tcv; 03-27-2021 at 08:29 AM.
ultramagnus_tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
DVDdoug

I can't listen 'cause I'm at work...

But often, there is no cure for noise (or other recording problems) except for "take 2". Noise reduction works best when you have a very low-level background noise.... When you don't really need it.

There's a reason pros still record in soundproof studios with good equipment, good mic placement, professional talent. etc.

If there is a video sometimes the best solution is to mute, or reduce the volume during the noisy parts so it's not so annoying/distracting, and add subtitles.

Or if it's audio only and it's something important, type-up a transcript.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
valy

iZotope RX tools can work wonders, but it depends. I wouldn't rush out and buy them for a single use case, but if this is something you will encounter often in your work, it might be a worthwhile investment when there's a sale.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
GameAudioRvlzzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramagnus_tcv View Post
So, when this person was speaking, he bumped his desk and his laptop screen started wobbling adding the clicking noise on top of his audio.

I watch Kenny's video on background noise. It's rightly focused on background noise like AC hum. But this is different. I played around with ReaFIR, but I don't know what I'm doing. I can't really see what part of the waveform is the click and what part is the voice. The entirety of it clearly shows the clicks, but I can't seem to isolate it.

I'm willing to read/watch something if anyone wants to point something out. Meanwhile, I've attached a zip file with a PNG of the waveform and a WAV of the audio.

Cheers,

Mike Whalen
How long is the whole recording / the problematic part?
GameAudioRvlzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:58 PM   #5
ultramagnus_tcv

A few seconds... not much.

I found a Kenny video that goes over removing clicking. Using his techniques--which amounted to using splits and the associated fades. It worked okay, but it's not perfect, of course.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
ultramagnus_tcv

Quote:
Originally Posted by valy View Post
iZotope RX tools can work wonders, but it depends. I wouldn't rush out and buy them for a single use case, but if this is something you will encounter often in your work, it might be a worthwhile investment when there's a sale.
No, it's a one-off and I'm playing around with Reaper. Most of the editing I'll need to do has to do with verbal flubs.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:44 PM   #7
flysalad

For what it's worth, RX7 does remove it completely. I just had a go with the De-Click function using the "Multi-band random clicks" algorithm.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Audio Sample_declicked.zip (307.2 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by flysalad; 12-31-2020 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Add attachment
flysalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:59 AM   #8
ultramagnus_tcv

Is that the suite that’s $999? (Isn’t it always true that when something is real expensive they never put the price on the page listing the features? They force you to Add To Cart before you can see it.)
Old 01-01-2021, 12:28 PM   #9
GameAudioRvlzzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramagnus_tcv View Post
Is that the suite that’s $999? (Isn’t it always true that when something is real expensive they never put the price on the page listing the features? They force you to Add To Cart before you can see it.)
Here you can compare the versions: https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...s.html#compare
And if you scroll up a bit, you'll see the prices.
Seems like De-Click is part of the 29$-Version.

However, seems like you don't need it, since flysalad already declicked your recording for you (as did i offer you to do in my PM):

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysalad View Post
I just had a go with the De-Click function using the "Multi-band random clicks" algorithm.
Did you overlook that post, by chance?
GameAudioRvlzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #10
ultramagnus_tcv

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameAudioRvlzzr View Post
Here you can compare the versions: https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...s.html#compare
And if you scroll up a bit, you'll see the prices.
Seems like De-Click is part of the 29$-Version.

However, seems like you don't need it, since flysalad already declicked your recording for you (as did i offer you to do in my PM):

Did you overlook that post, by chance?
Nuts, I sure did. I’ll listen to it.

This was an example. I’m still learning Reaper! 😁
Old 01-01-2021, 12:59 PM   #11
serr

Isolated moments of sound to remove...

iZotopeRX has the spectral editor to let you erase isolated moments of isolated frequencies. iZotopeRX kind of stands alone in that ability. Maybe one day Reaper will make advances with spectral editing... Today there's no comparison.

So... Using a spectral editor like iZotopeRX would in theory let you remove all artifacts and leave you with the original program noise free. You have to pay for that!

With just Reaper, you could perhaps slice out noises and slip edit. You might easily end up with a program that is noise free and sounds just fine. It would be technically altered with some micro timing edits from doing it that way. But if it isn't something of strictly historical importance it might not matter.

Trying to make a compressor trigger on the artifacts to duck them, for example, is probably a much more difficult or impossible thing to do. Trying to "learn" an artifact like a broadband noise profile - and with something as crude as ReaFIR... no chance in hell! Now you'll just have the poor thing slathered in constant artifacts and mutilated.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:47 PM   #12
MarkMc

Greetings. As mentioned above, iZotope RX might help you some. I went ahead and loaded your sample file and ran it through RX, and the results are are attached. Not perfect, but greatly improved. The audio clip contains before and after.
Also, if you are interested, I think iZotope is still offering their $49 suite of tools. All these are the entry level versions, but still a great bargain. This RX I used cam from there, but the Phoenix reverb, Ozone, etc that come in the suite are a really sweet deal
Attached Files
File Type: zip Audio Sample.zip (368.6 KB, 61 views)
MarkMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:02 AM   #13
ultramagnus_tcv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMc View Post
Greetings. As mentioned above, iZotope RX might help you some. I went ahead and loaded your sample file and ran it through RX, and the results are are attached. Not perfect, but greatly improved. The audio clip contains before and after.
yah! That one and flysalad's sound very good!

I think I'm going to hold off getting those until I really need it. They're not expensive at all, but I hardly need these right now.

Thanks so much all! I learned something! Yay!
Old 01-02-2021, 04:45 PM   #14
flysalad

Something to remember - Although Izotope has frequent sales, RX might be more expensive when you do need it in the future. $29 is not a lot for this functionality if you think you can use it at all.
flysalad is offline   Reply With Quote