Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
DreamDisease
Human being with feelings

Default Why is input less than output in Reacomp without gain reduction?

I just noticed a curious thing, Reacomp (and other compressors I've tested) don't seem to have a threshold value that matches the input, but is actually a little quieter.

Example: I put a sound through a volume meter to check what exactly the level is (mloudnessanalyzer) and put Reacomp under that. It reads -13db. Go into Reacomp and set the threshold to -13, and the green input bar is still under the threshold by about 4db. Then looking at the output of the Reacomp, it shows the correct level, -13db, even though no volume change is happening because gain is off and the level never passes the threshold. What gives?

Here's a video download showing that but you have to fullscreen to see through the pixels https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...599169/why.mov

Thanks
DreamDisease is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:17 PM   #2
Lokasenna

ReaComp's default setting uses an RMS window of 5ms (down at the bottom), not instantaneous peaks. Turn it down to 0ms and they'll match.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
DreamDisease

Oh wow, thanks. That answers that for ReaComp, any idea what's up with the other compressor? I turn the RMS knob for it down to Peak, but the level line still seems a smidge lower. When I roll out the actual meters of it, it's right, but the visual of the line jumping around symbolizing the input I assume, is what's off.

Thanks!
DreamDisease is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #4
Lokasenna

Hard to say without seeing it. The math involved is really basic though, so I'd fully expect it to be a similar issue or just a visual glitch.