Old 02-04-2020, 11:47 PM   #121
deeb
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarpharazon View Post
It's a one line script code edit to change each slider or the pan/mutes to be a learnable OSC string like the plugins' knobs
Thank you! I am not sure what you mean here. Edit what ? Make a custom action?
I want to be able to learn send levels for one track. For volume I can insert a volume plugin, for mute and sends I no way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarpharazon View Post
Or if button feedback LED and the multiple banks of buttons and knobs aren't needed just map (using Reaper learning) the MIDIMIX's midi output.
I will have to explore a bit as I am not sure about this too. Thank you!
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:32 AM   #122
billybuck

Deeb, you can control sends for 8 tracks via either or both of the top 2 rows of knobs from the script's "mixer" mode, but they will not be "bankable," meaning that if you have, say, 24 tracks in your project and you use the bank-right and bank-left controls to adjust which tracks the MIDIMix's faders, mutes, and pan knobs are controlling, the top knobs will not follow the bank, and will still be controlling only the 8 track sends you initially designated.

Note that none of this requires editing the script.

To control sends, you have to set up 8 custom actions. If you're not familiar with those, search for Kenny Gioia's excellent video tutorial. Each custom action will contain the following stock Reaper actions:

--Select Track [X]
--Adjust Volume of Send 1

Save that custom action and then, for example if you chose track 1 as X, map it to the top knob on the MIDIMix's first track. Then create another custom action for track 2: send 1, and so on.

This will control the topmost send's volume on each of 8 channels. You can also create 8 more similar actions for send 2 (if you use more than one send per track) and map them to the second row of knobs.

The only problem is, if you set this up for tracks 1-8, those top knobs will always control the sends for 1-8, even if you use the bank-right button so that your faders, mutes, and pans are now controlling tracks 9-16 or 17-24, etc.

The alternative is to do this in "instrument mode" [see the script's documentation] which temporarily switches the MIDIMIx into an alternate mode where all of the buttons, knobs, and faders can be mapped to control various parameters of a selected track. In this mode, I don't think you'd need to create a custom action that pre-selects the track, because (I think) it's already selected by switching into instrument mode. You can just map any knob to the Reaper stock action "adjust send 1 volume."

The drawback to the "instrument mode" method is that you can only adjust the sends for one designated track at a time, as you would by using the mouse in Reaper. You can't control them hands-on in real time, for example if you're doing a dub type mix where your sends are going to a delay and you want to actively vary that for each track while it's playing (or recording automation).
billybuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #123
deeb

thank you so much billybuck for the big description!
Now i am not near the gear for some time so i'll have to wait a bit to get into!
I'll be back to it soon! Thanks!
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:45 AM   #124
billybuck

Good luck, Deeb, and let us know how it goes.

I can't say enough about how much power goldenarpharazon's script brings to this $99 device the size of a thin hardback book. I bought my MIDIMix with the goal of getting away from the mouse and screen as much as possible (at least during the tracking and final-mix phases of projects) and it really delivers.

A correction to my previous description after re-reading the script manual: in instrument mode you can't map *all* of the controls to parameters of the currently selected track--you can only map the top 3 rows of knobs (and those can be "banked" within the track to control an infinite amount of parameters on FX, sends, etc. on the selected track). This makes sense, as you would still need the mute buttons to select which track you're "instrumenting."

I haven't really experimented with instrument mode yet, as my main interest in the MIDIMix is to be able to ride faders and controls simultaneously in real time. This brings back a part of the creative process from the days of tape and mixing desks that's normally missing from in-the-box recording.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:01 AM   #125
billybuck

A tip for MIDIMix users - I did some testing of this script in instrument mode in conjunction with a LUA script called LBX SRD Smart Knobs, and the combo is a real timesaver for mapping knobs to FX. It's a little fiddly to install, but well worth the time.

The Smart Knob script gives you a GUI with up to 32 slots that can each be mapped to one of the MM's top knobs in instrument mode. Then, as you bring a plugin effect into focus using the MM buttons, the Smart knob GUI allows you to quickly map which fx parameter corresponds to each numbered slot just by touching them with the mouse in the order you want them to appear in the slots (much faster than using "learn" on the fx in the traditional way.) It also displays a text description of the parameter (as reported by the plugin) next to a bar visually showing the current position of the control. You only have to do this once per plugin, and all the mappings will be retained between projects.

This works particularly well with the MM script's buttons that open and close your first 8 fix on a selected channel. You push the button to activate the first, and say, your ReaEq pops open, and the Smartknob display shows all of your mapped EQ parameters by name, in numbered slots that make it easy to relate to your MM knobs, assuming you initially mapped them sequentially. Press another button and ReaGate opens, with its parameters displayed and controllable.

No more having to remember what knob 4 does in ReaEq vs ReaComp, because the parameters are now all displayed in text next to each slot. It also works with third party plugins.

Last edited by billybuck; 02-10-2020 at 08:18 AM.