Old 04-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
123girr
Human being with feelings

Default Problem with Loading VSTI files

I am not entirely sure which thread to post this on, so please don't get angry at me for posting in the wrong thread. I seem to have a skill for doing so.

I had about 3 plugins that I really liked. When I updated to 4.611 I loaded my old song and it said that the plugin could not be loaded. I exited the program to see if that would help, but nothing. I put the plugin out, loaded again, and put it back in, loading again, and still nothing. I re-downloaded the file, but it still didn't make a difference. I tried to refresh the FX plugins, and it still didn't fix the error.

I'm not sure if I did anything wrong. None of the other plugins are working either. I haven't gotten to trying to reload them yet. Please let me know if it was me.

-Thanks

-123girr
123girr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello 123girr and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information.

Let's start with some basics. Start an empty project
-- do the expected plug-ins appear in the FX Browser?
-- can they be loaded into Reaper and used?
-- how about the REAxxxx plug-ins?
-- what path(s) do you have in the Preferences / VST plug-ins path list?

Pick one and try using it. Please describe the steps you take and exactly what the problem is?
Old 04-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
123girr

The problem is that I can't see anything but the reaxxx plugins. I have a modular synth that I downloaded, and I can't see it in the VSTI plugins path, instruments path, or even VST path. I can't load them into reaper, and I am using the default path for the plugins.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
georgemarauder

I don't have much to add except to say that I had a plug-in that wouldn't load as well, but mine was Reason ReWired. It said it couldn't load the plug-in when I started Reaper. I restarted 4 more times and on the 5th time it decided to work fine as if nothing was wrong. Computer ghosts at it again.

I also had a weird midi device issue, where all my midi devices disappeared from the preferences and then came back after I reloaded Reaper a few times.

Good luck.
georgemarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123girr View Post
I have a modular synth that I downloaded
Can you recall where exactly that plug-in was installed? Which VSTi is it, too?

Double-check that that path is included in the paths in Reaper's Preferences VST path list.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
RunBeerRun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123girr View Post
T am using the default path for the plugins.
As DarkStar mentioned, this is probably where the problem is. Do you mean the plugin installer's default path or Reaper's default path?

Either way, put it wherever you like and specify the path in preferences/vst. By default, nothing is specified there, you wouldn't want Reaper looking all over your hard drive, wasting time.

-Make sure they're not in program files/Reaper with the Reaplugs, I mean you could do that but the reaplugs are not vst's, those versions are Reaper plugs only and not specified as a plugin path by default.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
123girr

Ok, my synth was from vst4free.com. It just gave me a zip folder that I unziped into a folder on my desktop. From there I took the dll folder into the instalment directory for Reaper (C:\Program Files (x86)\REAPER\Plugins\FX) and it gave me an error. The synth is called Kamioooka107, and the plugin is kamioooka(x64).dll.

I just added the Reaper default forlder to the vst preferences(C:\Program Files (x86)\REAPER\Plugins\FX), and it worked. Thank you so much DarkStar. Not sure why it would need to be added though. :/
Old 04-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
DarkStar

As RunBeerRun said, third-party plug-is should not go in the REAPER\Plugins\FX folder. That has caused problems for some.

Create your own plug-ins folders (one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit plug-ins), with sub-folders, if you wish and put your plug-ins in there. Then put that main folder path (or both of them) in the plug-in path list.

Quote:
Not sure why it would need to be added though. :/
Because Reaper does not expect to look for third-party plug-ins in there.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
bluzkat

123girr,

Make the VST folders as Dark Star suggested, its the better way to go... and Reaper will find your VSTs.