Old 07-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
Juan D'Fall
Human being with feelings

Location: On the Eastern edge of London (UK), almost on the Essex border.
Default Render video to mp4

Finally got around to dumping Cubase for Reaper. Turned out to be a no brainer, it's so easy to use and does so many things that Cubase (elements) just doesn't. Had a quick read around and found all the stuff to make it handle H.264 / AAC video and it's all working perfectly. Didn't need VLC. I can usually solve my own problems either from here or from those superb videos from Kenny. However, one niggling little thing - I rendered a video of my first reaper project and set it to output QT/MOV/MP4 expecting to be able to set it to mp4. But it saved as MOV and I haven't been able to find a way to force it to mp4. I don't suppose it matters that much, everything I have plays mov without complaining, but I would like to set it to mp4 if I can. Am I missing something simple? Thanks and apologies in advance, I don't get a lot of time to do this stuff, so I might not see this again for a couple of weeks.
Using win 10 pro 64 bit, Steinberg UR242 i/f.
Jim
Juan D'Fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Am I missing something simple?
Welcomez.
Perhaps you can try this-> goto reaper preferences video/rex/misc take a peek at the video decoder priorities there-hover mouse over--down bottom you see tool tip> what does that "say" for you? You could try forcing a decoder as you want by deleting all others--can be reset.
I guess it depends on what codecs are currently installed on yr windizzy pc.. there will be a codec that does the writing(can be checked in source props) K? or no go<> let us know bro-so others can be good to go also.
Cheerz.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #3
mschnell

AYFAIK, you need to install a Codec to create mp4, but I did not try. (In fact the one time I needed it to create a HTML5-MP4 Video Page, I just used the free "Any Video Converter" software to create the mp4 file and the HTML code.)

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
Juan D'Fall

Thanks all for such a quick response.
FFmpeg version: 20170520-64ea4d1 is the codec that I installed. Worked perfectly first time. It's just that my camcorder outputs mp4, I imported that into Reaper and I was expecting it to export the finished video in the same format. I know it's only a container, and both the imported mp4 and exported MOV videos contain H.264 / AAC. It's when I go to render. It won't let me change the output file to .MP4,it defaults to .mov. It's not that important, but I'm curious as to why I can't do it when it says 'output format qt/mov/mp4'. I would have thought I would have the choice.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: png Decode.PNG (5.1 KB, 1254 views)
File Type: png Render.PNG (16.4 KB, 2060 views)
Old 07-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
Jeffsounds

You must be on a PC. I was told recently that it only works for MAC at this point but I forget the details.

Jon?
Old 07-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
Otto Tune

Despite not knowing much about video formats and conversion, I've had excellent luck following the advice from Airon in the first post here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=82459

I do use (free) Handbreak as an additional conversion tool to get MP4s or whatever format is needed.
Otto Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
Juan D'Fall

Thanks, Otto, I forgot I had seen that thread before. I am using those Zeranoe codecs and they work really well. I think I see what's going on now. It's fixed at MOV. It's just misleading to have that drop down box read qt/mov/mp4 when it only does mov. I like that handbrake tool, I didn't realise it works on windows, I thought it was a mac only thing. I'll just leave it as it is for the moment, mov does work on everything I have, even my (android) phone which I wasn't expecting. Thanks, everyone.
Jim
Old 07-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan D'Fall View Post
Thanks, Otto, I forgot I had seen that thread before. I am using those Zeranoe codecs and they work really well. I think I see what's going on now. It's fixed at MOV. It's just misleading to have that drop down box read qt/mov/mp4 when it only does mov. Jim
Yea, I agree but it does work once aware - I want to think all I had to do was install VLC to make everything work but don't quote me, it's been awhile. If there was anything that ever annoyed the crap out of me it is the severe disparity in video formats, codecs and containers. It's the one instance where healthy competition seems to have created a cluster fark.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:56 PM   #9
bcslaam

Hi, does anyone have an update on the mp4 issue ie reaper win64 only saves as .mov and not mp4?

Is there a codec or tweak available to enable save to mp4?
bcslaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:35 AM   #10
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam View Post
Hi, does anyone have an update on the mp4 issue ie reaper win64 only saves as .mov and not mp4?

Is there a codec or tweak available to enable save to mp4?
You can use portable AVIDemux (on Windows) to open any video format and simply re-save it right away choosing a different container format. I often open mkv video files, then choose the "MP4 Muxer" and just re-save the file (producing an *.mp4 output file). No re-compression/re-encoding takes place - data is simply copied to the new file.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #11
EpicSounds

it's very strange that FFMPEG can make an h.264 file on it's own, but the option is not available when rendering out of reaper. hmmm
Old 02-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #12
EpicSounds

wait a sec, I just saw this screenshot
https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....9&d=1499369400

I thought it couldn't do h.264 at all on windows version of reaper.

These are my settings on mac

Old 02-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #13
karbomusic

I just render as h264/MOV and rename to .MP4.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #14
MrMoneypenny

Default Can't export to mp4/H.264

Hi,

just wondering about the render setting in order to export to mp4/H.264

Is it correct to copy the extracted ffmpeg files to folder

windows/user/username/appdata/roaming/reaper/userplugins ?

At least I did so. But I don't get offered the option to H.264/MOV.
I only get offered MJPEG. Sorry for the blurry attached file, where you may see the settings.

Any idea? Thanks, Bastian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot_render_video_1.jpg (63.7 KB, 773 views)
MrMoneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #15
Jeffsounds

Doesn't matter what I download, it's EXE and no DLL's in the zip.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #16
Dstruct

You need a "shared" build.

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/wi...n64-shared.zip
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:57 AM   #17
MrMoneypenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Download the latest FFMPEG that's compatible with Reaper from here.

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Choose a version of FFMPEG that has the version number, not a "nightly" or "latest" build. Choose your OS version. Choose "shared".

Unzip it. Put the DLLs from the extracted Zip archive's "bin" folder (but not the EXEs) into the "Reaper resource folder" specifically in its "userplugins" subfolder. To find your Reaper resource folder, within reaper go to the menu and choose Options -> Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder. Then you'll see the "userplugins" subfolder. Put those DLLs in there. Restart Reaper.

(These DLLs are *not* to be placed in " C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins"!)

It's hard to see the info in your screen shot but it seems you put the files in the wrong directory, or you put incompatible FFMPEG DLLs in the proper directory. Only download FFMPEG files from that site which have a version number in the filename. (If you download nightly/latest builds it may not work.)
Hi and thanks a lot. That's how I did it, the DLLs are in this specific folder pointed from Reapers options menu.

After choosing format: QT/MOV/MP4I I can only chose

video codec > MJPEG

Shouldn't there be another option?

Best, Bastian

Last edited by MrMoneypenny; 02-22-2018 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #18
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post

Quote:
Sorry, I mistakenly had "static" in my post when I meant to say "shared". I corrected the post now.
Thank you, Sirs!
Old 02-24-2018, 03:14 AM   #19
MrMoneypenny

Quote:
Hello Bastian,

Did you download the correct version of FFMPEG?

-version 3.4.1 (the latest actual "release" version, not a "nightly" version)
-"shared" (not "static")
Thanks, I reinstalled the ffmpeg files shown in your post above in this thread
and now it works!

Cheers, Bastian
Old 02-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #20
Jeffsounds

Quote:
And did you take all the DLL files from the "bin" folder of the Zip archive, and put them in your "userplugins" folder that's in the Reaper resource folder?
Can these files still be in the bin folder under user plugins or should they be taken out? I just copied the whole ffmpeg-3.4.1-win64-shared folder into the user plugins folder. Should work, yes?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #21
Jeffsounds

Quote:
No. Why do you assume that?
Because of the file hierarchy in Windows. It works with VST's. Reaper searches all folders and sub-folders in search of VST's so why wouldn't it work with these dll's?

Quote:
You didn't notice the option for H.264 missing when trying to render with FFMPEG as QT/MOV/MP4 and as MKV?
Nope. I didn't have a video in place in Reaper at the time. Sorry!

Quote:
I just tried having the DLL files in a subfolder under userplugins, and it reverts FFMPEG to the one included in Reaper (without the H.264 codec, etc.)

Anyway you could've tried this yourself. Check the render dialog before and after. It took me all of 30 seconds.
As whacky as my machine has been lately, I'm almost afraid to do anything I'm not sure about. Appreciate your time checking that out for me!!!!
Old 02-24-2018, 10:41 PM   #22
Jeffsounds

[QUOTE=JamesPeters;1959171]That's one way of looking at it. However VSTs are the exception to the rule. I'm pretty sure DAWs allow for the subfolder aspect because they know people will dump all kinds of DLLs in the folder. Other programs won't function if the DLL isn't in the right spot, Reaper included (for other functions). Move a Windows DLL to a subfolder for instance...actually I mean don't, it's a bad idea. {/quote]
That much I know. But someone else may come along...

Quote:
You don't need anything on the timeline at all. Just pull up the render dialog to see the options. The worst-case scenario: it would say "nothing to render". But in Reaper's case it shows all the options available for rendering even if proceeding with a render does nothing useful.
I see it now. Thanks for that! Question: There is a folder in that zip file with a bunch of presets. I'm assuming those are not needed since all we're putting in the User Plugins folder is dll's?
Old 02-25-2018, 12:47 AM   #23
bcslaam

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
ha I didnt think of that. Is it working on others peoples mac and pc and seen as a MP4?

One client, no matter how much I try to explain, is convinced I must deliver mp4 for the preview and thinks mkv is weird and unknown and mov is faded looking. So I found that avidemux was still re-encoding audio or video and cant do an audio replacement from file. Im now using Davinci Resolve to replace only audio in the mp4 file they supplied. I have to set a fixed bit rate that is the original rate plus the extra required to up my audio quality to 192 or 256 kbps aac

I would much rather it be possible to render an mp4 in Reaper with new higher quality audio but video untouched from the mp4 they gave me. It seems you always have to "re-encode" and use appropriate fixed bit rate. There is no setting in reaper to keep the video untouched from the original that I can see.

Last edited by bcslaam; 02-25-2018 at 12:54 AM.
bcslaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:28 AM   #24
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam View Post
ha I didnt think of that. Is it working on others peoples mac and pc and seen as a MP4?
I haven't been delivering them to others to test but I upload them to YT and it has no problem seeing it as MP4.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #25
g4greg

Quote:
I love you

So simple, yet it works!

sometimes the solution to the most complicated problems lie literally right in front of your nose
Old 03-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #26
pbattersby

Quote:
If I recall correctly, there is a large difference in file size between .mov and .mp4 (mp4 being much smaller). If the application playing the video ignores the extension and instead examines the file to determine how to play it, then you may think you have an mp4 when in fact you still have a .mov.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 AM   #27
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbattersby View Post
If I recall correctly, there is a large difference in file size between .mov and .mp4 (mp4 being much smaller). If the application playing the video ignores the extension and instead examines the file to determine how to play it, then you may think you have an mp4 when in fact you still have a .mov.
I can't say that I care. Everywhere I use it, it does what I want, looks and sounds like I want but I don't remember there being some massive size difference - could be but haven't noticed.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-01-2018 at 07:36 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:19 PM   #28
Dennyps

Default Thank You

Just had to say thank you, I've done all kinds of things to get my video to recognize my mp4's and been frustrated beyond belief. Finally figured out from your comment to another member that I had installed them manually into the Reaper folder in Widows and not in and through Reaper and it works like a champ!
YOU Rock!

Quote:

Choose a version of FFMPEG that has the version number, not a "nightly" or "latest" build. Choose your OS version. Choose "shared".

Unzip it. Put the DLLs from the extracted Zip archive's "bin" folder (but not the EXEs) into the "Reaper resource folder" specifically in its "userplugins" subfolder. To find your Reaper resource folder, within reaper go to the menu and choose Options -> Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder. Then you'll see the "userplugins" subfolder. Put those DLLs in there. Restart Reaper.

(These DLLs are *not* to be placed in " C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins"!)

It's hard to see the info in your screen shot but it seems you put the files in the wrong directory, or you put incompatible FFMPEG DLLs in the proper directory. Only download FFMPEG files from that site which have a version number in the filename. (If you download nightly/latest builds it may not work.)
Dennyps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #29
Dennyps

Default Thanks again

I too had looked around and tried several different things but to no avail. I'm a happy camper now.
Have a great night!

Quote:
Glad to help! It's info I'd found elsewhere but wasn't very easy to find (and the info on the Wiki was out of date), so I just kept posting about it on the forums until it "stuck". It's in the User Guide now, currently on pages 421/422, and updated.
Dennyps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:28 AM   #30
Illusionaire

Hello and thank you all for the helpful instructions above.

I am now at the point where I can render mov files. What bothers me is that no matter if I choose mov of mkv, when I select the H.264 codec, instead of a bitrate I have a choice in percent. So I have to choose a number from 1 to 100%. The resulting video is great, even in numbers lower than 10%, which is usually choose to keep the files at reasonable sizes. But sometimes there is a specific requirement in bitrate for the videos I deliver, and I cannot control that parameter.

Am I doing something wrong? I followed all the instructions above, tried several versions of codecs and I now use the ones suggested by JamesPeters (thank you!).
I thought it was a limitation of this specific codec in reaper, but I have come across screenshots of people who can choose the bitrate with H.264

I am on a win7 64bit pc.

Thank you very much for any advice!

Also, I am not necessarily looking for a free solution. If the only way to do it is to purchase a specific codec, I will consider it.

Last edited by Illusionaire; 03-31-2019 at 02:29 AM. Reason: forgot something
Illusionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:36 PM   #31
hedgehog90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusionaire View Post
Hello and thank you all for the helpful instructions above.

I am now at the point where I can render mov files. What bothers me is that no matter if I choose mov of mkv, when I select the H.264 codec, instead of a bitrate I have a choice in percent. So I have to choose a number from 1 to 100%. The resulting video is great, even in numbers lower than 10%, which is usually choose to keep the files at reasonable sizes. But sometimes there is a specific requirement in bitrate for the videos I deliver, and I cannot control that parameter.
I've just run into the same problem. Looks like a bug/mistake.
If you set it to mkv -> xVid codec, then you can set the bitrate (kbps). If you then go back to h.264 and render, it'll render at the specified bitrate for a different codec.
Really odd, I don't see why they don't expose more ffmpeg parameters, or better yet allow the user to write the commandline parameters.
As it is I'm not sure I'm going to use it again as a video editor.
hedgehog90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #32
Philbo King

My preferred standard method (for Windows) is to render high definition to an .MKV file, then use Handbrake to convert to the desired final resolution and container (i.e., .MP4). It is significantly faster and with better video quality than rendering direct from Reaper.

This also allows using the .mkv file over again in the future to get other formats and resolutions, such as for youtube or facebook. Sort of a master copy.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #33
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
My preferred standard method (for Windows) is to render high definition to an .MKV file, then use Handbrake to convert to the desired final resolution and container (i.e., .MP4). It is significantly faster and with better video quality than rendering direct from Reaper.
I don't doubt you but I don't remember that experience. I did notice I can get the same quality using MKV > MP4 and a much smaller file via handbrake but I don't remember it being faster or better quality. Actually slower because I had to render MKV from reaper then turn around and render again in Handbrake.

That said, I haven't rendered video from Reaper in a while because I use Davinci Resolve most of the time so I could be wrong. Typically, I'll pull the video in to reaper temporarily as a guide/reference while I'm working on the audio, then I export the audio as a 24/48k master and pull that into Davinci and render the final video from there. Keep in mind I'm usually working with 2-5 cameras + a 360 VR camera so camera color matching and editing is a better workflow for me outside of Reaper - If I'm just doing a fairly static one camera simple video, then I'll probably stay in Reaper.

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-28-2019 at 10:56 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #34
Philbo King

I haven't tried DaVinci. Maybe I'll look into it the next time I process video. Thanks.

Last edited by Philbo King; 04-28-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:21 PM   #35
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I haven't tried DaVinci. Maybe I'll look into it the next time I process video. Thanks.
I'm not suggesting anyone use it, I'd probably suggest not using it unless one needs it.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:42 AM   #36
VO_Rich

Default Found a quick, simple and free way to convert to MP4.

With Windows 10, you should have a simple movie maker called "Animotica". Simply open this app, select new project and load in your .MOV file. When it has loaded, save the project and create your own filename keeping the .MP4 extension it has already created. Then hit save. It will render the movie and store it wherever you selected.
You can also choose in the settings menu the aspect ratio of the movie depending on where you are posting it and can also select the quality level when saving.
If necessary you may need to buy the app for this function but it's only a $9.99 buyout.
I found it also to be a great little video editor, but limited.
Let me know how that goes.
Best,
VO_Rich.
VO_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #37
Esteban_M

Quote:
UPDATE: Now you can just add ".mp4" at the end of the file name field in the Render window and it will render as .mp4!

Like so:

...and the file rendered will be exactly the same as if you rendered a MOV one and then rename it as ".mp4". Here's a comparison between the same file rendered as MOV and as .mp4 like shown above:

Attached Images
File Type: png Render.PNG (32.3 KB, 3517 views)
File Type: png Files.PNG (2.6 KB, 3030 views)
File Type: png Files 2.PNG (20.0 KB, 3090 views)

estebanmmusic.carrd.co
Esteban_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:22 AM   #38
BartR

Quote:

This link is dead. Where to get the correct ones?
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:39 AM   #39
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=https%3A%2F%2F...Fdownload.html
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #40
BartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Needless to say that the new form FFMPEG site "original" ar NOT working. Already tested before you came with the obvious.

Here the link where people can find the required DLLs

https://web.archive.org/web/20200918.../win64/shared/

Pay attention to use the 4.1.3 and not the latest. Why? Because when you export a mp4 with audio AAC and you send that video on Whatsapp, the video will be muted. no audio.
While with the 4.1.3 everything is working fine

Last edited by BartR; 11-29-2020 at 10:56 AM.
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote