Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 01-23-2019, 04:11 AM   #1
ejanejarr
Human being with feelings

Default Horizontal scroll not working on the mixer?

Hi everyone, hope someone can lend me a hand;

When I am using my mouse, I assign the horizontal clic wheel to scroll horizontally and it works fine whether I am over one dock or another. So I can easily move over the arrangement and then, just putting the cursor over the mixer I can scroll the tracks I can see way faster than with the dock slider.

I am trying to use Reaper with a Magic Touchpad and vertical scrolling works fine, but horizontal scrolling keeps acting over the arrangement window even if I put the cursor over the mixer, so no more easy track scrolling for my mixer.

I deleted the mousewheel action and reassigned. Reaper recognizes the horizontal scrolling as such, but still not working over the mixer. Any ideas what's happening? Thanks for any help.
ejanejarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
embrcrndm

did you / anyone ever work this out? I'm having the same problem with an Apple trackpad. Currently have the mixer docked and horizontal scroll only works temperamentally plus it keeps making the Arrange window scroll when my cursor is over the mixer.
embrcrndm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:43 AM   #3
Phazma

The mixer right now doesn’t accept customized mouse behaviour. You can only scroll L/R with vertical mouse wheel. Currently the Reaper Dev’s are working on mixer scrolling behaviour so you could check out one of the latest pre-release threads and ask about this. I think I have mentioned it as well in one of these threads so you might as-well +1-quote me to show interest for horizontal mousewheel mixer scrolling.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:33 AM   #4
embrcrndm

Yeah I've just realised the Mixer window works with vertical instead of horizontal scrolling!

I don't understand why it does this... horizontal scroll makes a lot more sense. Plus it scrolls very clunkily. When I have the MIDI editor similarly docked and hover the cursor over it, horizontal scroll works wonderfully well (and smoothly) and the Arrange view stays still.

I'm new here, so you know this thread...
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....73#post2289573
...is that stuff that's coming in the next update that's currently unavailable?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2020, 04:57 AM   #5
Phazma

Yes, the threads in the pre-release forum are here to present new features which the developers are currently trying to implement. The newest pre-release can always be found on the link in this thread (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22836) so the users can try the new features out and give feedback if they work correctly or if something is buggy, give suggestions of how they could be implemented differently or sometimes discuss other closely related features that could be added together with the features in question.
Also it is important that if users find anything that doesn't work correctly anymore in the current prerelease that they share the information there so the devs can see if they have accidentally broken something by adding a new feature and fix it before the release.
Anyway it is NOT a feature request section so it is intended to only discuss features that the devs are currently working on and bug reports related to those features or the pre-release in question.
Not all features make it to a final release though, the devs take care as much as possible to release an official Reaper update only once the new features work correctly.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
embrcrndm

Amazing, thanks so much for the info!
Now to figure out how to try the pre-release stuff without messing up my current install...
Old 05-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #7
Phazma

There should be no danger of messing things up. Just make sure you don't overwrite your current application and to know which one is which when launching. They can easily coexist and access the same Reaper path with all your settings and stuff. You can even open and use both apps at the same time which what I do when comparing how some things work.

What I do to avoid confusion is always renaming the official instal like for example "Reaper 6.10" and the pre-release is left with the default "REAPER64" name. When I download another pre-release in the same folder it asks me to replace "REAPER64" which I can safely do as it is just the previous pre-release.

You could also rename the pre-release instead of the official release if you want to keep the original name of the official instal, however I find it less convenient as you then have to rename the pre-release every time you download a new one.

Or you could create a folder named "Reaper pre-releases" or similar and just save it there so you know whenever you open a Reaper app from that folder it is not the official instal.

Just some ideas how to keep it organised and not accidentally uninstall the official app. Other than that there is nothing to worry about when having 2 different Reaper instals on your machine.

P.S.: It is not recommended to work on important projects with pre-releases because some things may afterwards not be compatible with an official release.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #8
embrcrndm

Awesome awesome awesome. Thanks so much
Old 06-10-2022, 09:36 AM   #9
keaton

Unless I'm missing something, am still experiencing this issue. Was it ever fixed?
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:56 AM   #10
keaton

Found a fix: 'Preferences > Mouse' (under 'Editing Behavior') and check 'Horizontal mousewheel over mixer scrolls tracks rather than arrange view'

Last edited by keaton; 06-11-2022 at 07:03 AM.
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote