Old 12-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
The Bunker
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper + Digidesign ICON

Does anyone know if Reaper can be controlled with the Digidesign ICON? If not what about the newer Avid S6? Failing that what do people recommend as a fully functional professional quality control desk for Reaper?
The Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bunker View Post
Does anyone know if Reaper can be controlled with the Digidesign ICON? If not what about the newer Avid S6? Failing that what do people recommend as a fully functional professional quality control desk for Reaper?
I wrote the EuCon support for Reaper, an S6 should work, but as far as I know, it has not been tested.

There is an open source project that takes a modular, user customizable, approach to this:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143

Here is my current setup, it is up and running with a very preliminary version of the software, the Avid stuff is operating in MCU mode:
https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1512774893
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Console.jpg (58.2 KB, 795 views)
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
The Bunker

Hi Geoff, thanks for the reply. Very interesting going to give that thread a thorough read. Just quickly looking at your setup looks intriguing. How deep is the control you can get from it? Is it on par with something like the S6?

Also the reason I was asking about the Avid and Digidesign stuff was that I was hoping to have one control surface for both Pro Tools and Reaper, ideally with just as much functionality with both DAWs. For example all the colour coding stuff the S6 does, along with its recognition of different track types, VCAs/audio tracks etc... Is that kind of integration possible with reaper?

You say that the S6 works with Reaper but you haven't seen it tested, do you know if it gives you control on the same level as it does with Pro Tools or is it more of a simplified version which basically gives you some faders and transport control and not much else?
Old 12-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hi Geoff, thanks for the reply. Very interesting going to give that thread a thorough read. Just quickly looking at your setup looks intriguing. How deep is the control you can get from it? Is it on par with something like the S6?

Also the reason I was asking about the Avid and Digidesign stuff was that I was hoping to have one control surface for both Pro Tools and Reaper, ideally with just as much functionality with both DAWs. For example all the colour coding stuff the S6 does, along with its recognition of different track types, VCAs/audio tracks etc... Is that kind of integration possible with reaper?

You say that the S6 works with Reaper but you haven't seen it tested, do you know if it gives you control on the same level as it does with Pro Tools or is it more of a simplified version which basically gives you some faders and transport control and not much else?
Well, since I wrote the code, I'm not going to blow my own horn, but here's what a user named RobinShore had to say: "At this point the level of customization and integration you've given us is pretty incredible, much much better in fact than when I was using Eucon with Pro Tools"

As far as using one surface for both DAW's, I don't use PT but I think it's likely possible, because the MCU protocol I'm using with the Avid Artist stuff is on a per app basis, so it looks like you could use an S6 in either MCU or EuCon mode in Reaper and EuCon mode in PT.

The only thing I would do before I purchased something like an S6 would be to have a hard look at where Avid is going, does it suit your direction, check their stock price history, etc. Or maybe you are lucky and something like an S6 is not considered a major purchase
Old 12-09-2017, 12:32 AM   #5
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Well, since I wrote the code, I'm not going to blow my own horn, but here's what a user named RobinShore had to say: "At this point the level of customization and integration you've given us is pretty incredible, much much better in fact than when I was using Eucon with Pro Tools"

As far as using one surface for both DAW's, I don't use PT but I think it's likely possible, because the MCU protocol I'm using with the Avid Artist stuff is on a per app basis, so it looks like you could use an S6 in either MCU or EuCon mode in Reaper and EuCon mode in PT.

The only thing I would do before I purchased something like an S6 would be to have a hard look at where Avid is going, does it suit your direction, check their stock price history, etc. Or maybe you are lucky and something like an S6 is not considered a major purchase
lol yea I haven't really done the math on the prices yet, just kinda looking around to see what's out there before I make any decisions. Would love to see your setup in action, are there any videos or anything out there?

Last edited by The Bunker; 12-09-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:15 AM   #6
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
lol yea I haven't really done the math on the prices yet, just kinda looking around to see what's out there before I make any decisions. Would love to see your setup in action, are there any videos or anything out there?
Yeah, in the middle of a code refactor right now so things are temporarily fairly broken, say, about 2 weeks from now as a best guess for a video ?
Old 12-11-2017, 02:26 AM   #7
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Yeah, in the middle of a code refactor right now so things are temporarily fairly broken, say, about 2 weeks from now as a best guess for a video ?
Oh wow that would be awesome!
Old 02-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #8
The Bunker

Hey Geoff, don’t mean to be a pain but did you by any chance get around to making that video? 😊