Old 01-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
isaacbean
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and M-Audio Fast Track

Hey, this is my first thread on here and I need some serious help guys.

Basically I've been using a licensed version (personal/small business) of Reaper for the past few months (love it, awesome software), and I recently got the M-Audio Fast Track recording interface and a microphone to get better sounds with. I mostly record acoustic guitar and vocals. So I was getting it all set up and everything, and it was all going smoothly, when I read in the manual for my M-Audio that it needs to be put in as a Mono track (in the input section in Reaper, under the specific track). So I went to a track, where it said "HD Audio capture 1" under it. Clicked on it, which opened up the inputs. And the M-Audio guide said that it should appear as "Fast Track" under the mono input section. So I moved the cursor over it, and it didn't appear. It seems like for whatever reason, it's not registering that my M-Audio is connected or something. This is vital to me, as I can't use any of my recording stuff until I get this problem sorted out. And it seems like a really easy problem to fix and it's becoming unnecessarily difficult you solve. I had a friend come over to look at it, and computers are like his THING, and even he couldn't solve the issue. I'm wondering if anyone has any hints, ideas, advice, or knows a way to solve this. If not, I'm assuming that Reaper isn't compatible with the M-Audio Fast Track Interface, but I could really use some help! Thanks!
isaacbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
kindafishy

Hi issacbean, welcome to the forums. I don't know how to solve your problem, sorry but I want to encourage you not to give up. I use an M-Audio Fast Track Pro and it works great.

Question for you...

When you go to Options -> Preferences... -> Audio -> Device, does your screen look like this?

If it does, then the FTP should be available in the mono input section.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
isaacbean

Oh...my goodness. I went to that screen, and it didn't look like yours, so I changed it, and my microphone works now! Thank you so much!!!!! You literally just saved me hours of work and probably a lot of money with getting this checked out by professionals or something. Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!! The problem was that the ASIO Driver was set differently than the M-Audio USB. Okay sorry to ask another question.. So it's definitely picking up my mic on Reaper, which it wasn't doing before, which is great, but I can't hear the microphone, nor does anything else play now (I had some guitar tracks laid down previously). Is it because it changed all the inputs to the FTP's that affected the other tracks? Thanks.

Last edited by isaacbean; 01-02-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
kindafishy

No problem. I'm very happy that it helped out!

To hear the input, after arming the track for recording by pressing the record button, right click on the same button and check the option that says 'Monitor Input'.

However, since you are saying that you can't hear anything now, I am guessing that there is something more essential going on here, so just keep the above in mind for after you get playback working.

You are using your FTP for playback as well, as in, you have some monitors plugged into it, or headphones?

I suspect you were listening back through your default soundcard before and now you have it changed to go through the FTP. It has to be your input and output device, so make sure you are listening back through that as well.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
isaacbean

Alright, I've got the headphones plugged into the interface, and I think I've got it. I just had to turn up the microphone dial kinda high for it to be more audible, but yep I can hear the song now! Thank you so much again, really. I've been wracking my brain for days over this thing and now it works Have a good one.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
kindafishy

My pleasure. I hope you stick around the forums. Lots of great people and an amazing wealth of knowledge around here.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
Jordy4321

Default Need help getting Reaper to recognize audio on Fast Track

Hi everyone - this is my first thread, and I need some help getting Reaper to recognize the mic plugged into my M-Audio Fast Track. The MIDI coming through my Fast Track works fine, so that rules out any connection or USB issues.

But for the life of me, when I plug my mic into the front, I can't get the Audio Devices to show Fast Track Pro. Perhaps there's a switch or setting on the Fast Track that is required to recognize audio?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to attach a screen shot of my Preferences > Audio > Devices. T
Attached Images
File Type: png Reaper - Options - Audio Devices 1.png (27.6 KB, 843 views)
Jordy4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordy4321 View Post
Hi everyone - this is my first thread, and I need some help getting Reaper to recognize the mic plugged into my M-Audio Fast Track. The MIDI coming through my Fast Track works fine, so that rules out any connection or USB issues.

But for the life of me, when I plug my mic into the front, I can't get the Audio Devices to show Fast Track Pro. Perhaps there's a switch or setting on the Fast Track that is required to recognize audio?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to attach a screen shot of my Preferences > Audio > Devices. T
Click on the [ASIO Configuration ...] button in your screenshot to open the ASIO4ALL Panel and make sure that the in/outputs of the Fast Track Pro are enabled there, first.
More info about setting up ASIO4ALL here: https://www.image-line.com/support/F...s_asio4all.htm

But is there any specific reason why you're using ASIO4ALL instead of the dedicated ASIO driver for the Fast Track Pro (as seen in the screenshot in post #2)?: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ck-Pro-Drivers

Last edited by solger; 01-11-2018 at 02:57 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #9
Jordy4321

Thanks for the help! I'm getting close. I uninstalled my driver and then installed the newest M-Audio driver. When I have Devices set to Fast Track Pro Asio (64 bit) as in the bottom screenshot on attached image, then I can record audio. MIDI works, too.

However, when I press play to listen, I can't hear it. I have to go back into preferences and change Device to ASIO4All v2 as seen in the top screenshot on the attahed. This allows me to then play and hear the audio, but if I record, it records through my computer speakers (MIDI works in either scenario).

Is this a Playback issue? I've looked in that preference but don't see a setting that seems to allow me to playback while the FastTrack driver is selected as Input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper screenshot 2.jpg (62.1 KB, 432 views)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #10
Stella645

Do you actually have headphones or speakers plugged into the M-Track?
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #11
Jordy4321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
No. I had incorrectly assumed it would play through the computer speakers as it had been, but I now I get it. I just hooked up my headphones and it works. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #12
Jarek92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Hi issacbean, welcome to the forums. I don't know how to solve your problem, sorry but I want to encourage you not to give up. I use an M-Audio Fast Track Pro and it works great.

Question for you...

When you go to Options -> Preferences... -> Audio -> Device, does your screen look like this?

If it does, then the FTP should be available in the mono input section.
I tried doing this and my inputs and outputs don't pop up. It's just blank. I attached a picture. A quick look around the internet says I need to reinstall the driver for it, but I've done that a few times and it doesn't solve anything. I have the Fast track pro and I'm running Reaper on Windows 10, which was on my Toshiba Satellite when a got it a few years ago. I know that the drivers and updates don't support windows 10, but is there a way around this? Or Maybe there's something else I'm doing wrong. I'm new to reaper and at home recording, so any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png Reaper.PNG (29.9 KB, 604 views)
Jarek92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:40 AM   #13
drumphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Lol, just when I was about to start thinking about other technical issues that could cause that... and it's just not plugged in to anything! I should know better being a computer tech. Yes, your printer has to be turned on if you want to print. Yes, you have to plug the phone line into your ADSL modem.... No, youtube won't work if your internet is down.... and so on.

Also, you don't need ASIO4ALL if your device has a native ASIO driver, as your does. (as mentioned above)
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:17 AM   #14
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek92 View Post
I tried doing this and my inputs and outputs don't pop up. It's just blank. I attached a picture. A quick look around the internet says I need to reinstall the driver for it, but I've done that a few times and it doesn't solve anything. I have the Fast track pro and I'm running Reaper on Windows 10, which was on my Toshiba Satellite when a got it a few years ago. I know that the drivers and updates don't support windows 10, but is there a way around this? Or Maybe there's something else I'm doing wrong. I'm new to reaper and at home recording, so any help would be appreciated.
You might try installing the Fast Track ASIO driver using a (Win 7 or 8) Compatibility mode: https://social.technet.microsoft.com...7itprohardware

Otherwise try using Audio System: [WASAPI] (instead of ASIO).
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #15
Jarek92

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
You might try installing the Fast Track ASIO driver using a (Win 7 or 8) Compatibility mode: https://social.technet.microsoft.com...7itprohardware

Otherwise try using Audio System: [WASAPI] (instead of ASIO).
Tried both of these options. Still no dice. Ugh. Thanks though. Same thing still happens.
Jarek92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #16
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek92 View Post
Tried both of these options. Still no dice. Ugh. Thanks though. Same thing still happens.
Make sure you are using a USB2 port. I don't think the Avid ASIO driver will work but you should be able to get it working with WASAPI or ASIO4all.

It is reportedly not very stable on W10 under any circumstances.
Time to upgrade!
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #17
cymbals

Mine works using WaveOut on Win10. Not the greatest latency but oh well.
cymbals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #18
brummbear

Default Fast Track drivers Win10

Using a Fast Track Ultra here. When I migrated from Win7 to Win10 I read about massive problems with missing driver support / incompatibilities. Turned out that it works flawlessly with the older 5.10.0.5100 driver (= 6.0.8 Installer). This is the driver written by M-Audio before Avid rewrote the drivers. No issues in Reaper, Games, Windows - all modes work nicely, no compatibility mode or other tricks. Native M-Audio ASIO drivers, low latency.

Maybe worth trying: use an older driver for your FTP - preferably before Avid touched anything. If Win10 doesn't like it because it is unsigned you can still enforce it.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote