Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
Phazma
Human being with feelings

Default There MUST to be a hack to right-click delete item

Hi all,

as many other people who in past have used FL Studio I grew to love the simplicity of right-click deleting things. When I was using Logic later I could choose to have the secondary click assigned to a tool so i chose the eraser and kept working this way.

Now in Reaper thank god it is possible to set this behaviour in the midi editor, but everywhere else you have no option other than to use it for the context menu. As I have assigned most things from the context menu to key commands anyway I almost never need the context menu (in the arrange) and thus have a mouse button that serves no purpouse.

While IMO it would be the best solution to not only in the arrange but also in other areas (eg. TCP) to assign the right click to something other than the context menu (ideally an action of our own choice) I don't understand why there isn't an option like "right drag delete and suppress context menu" also in the arrange view like in the midi editor. Specially if you use it in the midi editor and afterwards work in the arrange you have to again get used that your mouse works differently there.

Anyway, I am pretty sure I won't see this anytime soon and as it is of major importance for my workflow I was searching for other solutions, like disabling the secondary click in my macbook preferences and using better touch tool to assign the right half of my mouse to the middle click and have the middle click trigger the delete command in reaper but this was pretty buggy so I refrained. I also was researching for mice with horizontal scrolling (which I need) and the ability via their driver to swap right and middle button but I found none...

Now I am wondering, could there be any way to get it to work to delete items in the arrange with a right click? Maybe some script. Additional Hardware (mouse ecc..)..? There must be some way to get it to work.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
foxAsteria

X-mouse button control will let you assign any mouse button to anything else and it can be setup to switch per-program. Also, it's free.

You may have to make some comprimises. E.g. I use this in Photoshop to do navigation with RMB, but it means I have to put RMB on the middle button so I still have context menus.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
Phazma

Thanks for the suggestion but it seems to be a windows-only app and I am on Mac
Old 07-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
_Stevie_

Yeah, I'm also missing a mouse modifier in the arrange to delete items with the RMB.
Would be soooo consistent, since you can do it in the MIDI editor as well (as you already mentioned).
Old 07-18-2019, 10:31 PM   #5
Phazma

Exactly. Let’s hope Justin will add that feature one day. For now I really hope someone might come up with a workaround idea that works reliably with mac+magicmouse (ora an other mouse that has a horizontal mousewheel).
Old 07-19-2019, 07:35 AM   #6
foxAsteria

I would 100% support adding right-click and right double-click to the mouse modifiers. I don't really use menus a whole lot anymore and would rather e.g. have my contextual toolbars there instead.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
Kenny Gioia

You could use the mouse modifier to just left click the bottom half of an item to delete it. Not the same thing but just as fast.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #8
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
You could use the mouse modifier to just left click the bottom half of an item to delete it. Not the same thing but just as fast.
Thanks for the idea, will try it, maybe I can get used to it. Up to now I was using cmd+leftclick which in theory is also fast but in practise somehow doesn't stick with my brain. We'll see if your idea works better - I am only a bit sceptical as it might be annoying to accidentally delete items when wanting to drag.
Btw as you're here, thanks for your awesome videos, helped me a lot already in setting things up!
Old 07-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Thanks for the idea, will try it, maybe I can get used to it. Up to now I was using cmd+leftclick which in theory is also fast but in practise somehow doesn't stick with my brain. We'll see if your idea works better - I am only a bit sceptical as it might be annoying to accidentally delete items when wanting to drag.
Btw as you're here, thanks for your awesome videos, helped me a lot already in setting things up!
You're welcome.

Just give in some time. You might only accidentally delete things at first and then learn to click the top or the bottom more easily.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #10
strachupl

I have that set to double click. Same with tracks.
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #11
foxAsteria

Another approach is to put the delete item action on a toolbar and then right click the toolbar button. Then every left click will trigger the action while it's armed.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:35 AM   #12
bFooz

Check out Autohotkey. https://www.autohotkey.com/

You can send commands to Reaper directly with this:
Code:
Postmessage,0x111,CommandID,,,ahk_class REAPERwnd
Where CommandID is an ID of desired action in Reaper.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:08 AM   #13
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
I have that set to double click. Same with tracks.
Might also try that out. Even tough I am pretty used to opening the MIDI editor with double click, I might map the midi editor to the item bottom and see if I can get used to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Another approach is to put the delete item action on a toolbar and then right click the toolbar button. Then every left click will trigger the action while it's armed.
Hmm no that's like working with selectable tools which I always disliked. Don't want to have to engage something before deleting and disengage after deleting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Check out Autohotkey. https://www.autohotkey.com/

You can send commands to Reaper directly with this:
Code:
Postmessage,0x111,CommandID,,,ahk_class REAPERwnd
Where CommandID is an ID of desired action in Reaper.
Again, only .exe available 😭
Old 07-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #14
serr

There's supposed to be a feature to disable the control key from your OS to use in Reaper for an additional modifier.

But there's a twist!

Normally right-click on a mouse is a hot key for control-(left) click which opens contextual menus.

If you untick the box in Reaper Preferences/Editing Behavior/Mouse for "control + left-click emulates right-click", it disables the control key from the OS to let Reaper use it for a modifier.

However, right-clicking the mouse STILL sends a control-click to the OS and opens contextual menus. Control-click itself is disabled but the mouse hot key isn't.

I'd guess this was done to try to both use the control key in Reaper and still keep contextual menus (from the mouse only).

Maybe we need another preference?
Better wording on the existing one would be nice too!
like this:
_ Disable control key from OS to use as an additional modifier in Reaper (Mouse right-click will still send control-click for contextual menus.)
_ Disable right-click mouse button from sending control-click to use as an additional hot key in Reaper.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #15
strachupl

I can only confirm that right drag removing is very nice thing The one of the best things migrating from Fl studio was right drag removing notes in midi editor in Reaper. I am sure this behaviour would fit anywhere else like media items, envelopes.
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:29 AM   #16
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
I can only confirm that right drag removing is very nice thing The one of the best things migrating from Fl studio was right drag removing notes in midi editor in Reaper. I am sure this behaviour would fit anywhere else like media items, envelopes.
This. Would allow a very consistent workflow for people like me who don't want to mess with context menus and rather assign the functions they need to hotkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
There's supposed to be a feature to disable the control key from your OS to use in Reaper for an additional modifier.

But there's a twist!

Normally right-click on a mouse is a hot key for control-(left) click which opens contextual menus.

If you untick the box in Reaper Preferences/Editing Behavior/Mouse for "control + left-click emulates right-click", it disables the control key from the OS to let Reaper use it for a modifier.

However, right-clicking the mouse STILL sends a control-click to the OS and opens contextual menus. Control-click itself is disabled but the mouse hot key isn't.

I'd guess this was done to try to both use the control key in Reaper and still keep contextual menus (from the mouse only).

Maybe we need another preference?
Better wording on the existing one would be nice too!
like this:
_ Disable control key from OS to use as an additional modifier in Reaper (Mouse right-click will still send control-click for contextual menus.)
_ Disable right-click mouse button from sending control-click to use as an additional hot key in Reaper.
Ohhh.. so right click actually works as some kind of "hardwired" hot key? Thanks for explaining how Reaper works in this regard. This way (by proposing the second preference you wrote) I can actually make a pretty specific/comprehensive feature request. Seems like it shouldn't be to difficult to implement this into Reaper in form of a preference.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:22 AM   #17
Phazma

I have created a feature request about this issue:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=223260

If you also think optional right-drag/click-delete items would be a good addition to Reaper please vote and leave a comment inside the feature request thread.

To be able to clearly explain what I need and how it could be implemented I only focused on right-drag deleting items. However the ideal solution would probably be as serr suggested to unlink the right mouse button from the OS's control+click command and make it available for all kinds of actions in various contexts. If someone has a vision on how the devs could implement that feel free of course to suggest it in the FR thread.