Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
tombuur
Human being with feelings

Default There was an error parsing the specified project ...

This has happened twice to me today, losing hours of work.

I save to a file regurlarly during work, then when closing down Reaper I get blue screen. Next when starting the project again I get this message about error parsing the project.

The only thing to do is using a .bak file that's several hours old with all the work lost.

Any idea what is going on? Any easy way to get the project started again?

... Windows 10 updated something yesterday.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
This has happened twice to me today, losing hours of work.

I save to a file regurlarly during work, then when closing down Reaper I get blue screen. Next when starting the project again I get this message about error parsing the project.

The only thing to do is using a .bak file that's several hours old with all the work lost.

Any idea what is going on? Any easy way to get the project started again?

... Windows 10 updated something yesterday.
I'd set the auto backups for .bak to something smaller time wise. Mine is something like 5 minutes. Based on the way it occurred above the project file is corrupt. You can open it in a text editor to see just how badly aka anything in clear text is probably OK anything that just looks like gobbly gook is corrupt.

I think the only chance you have is if there is just a tiny portion corrupt but my guess is that won't be the case.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
Jeffsounds

I've been having trouble with Reaper on closing lately as well. The project is okay I just get a Windows error asking to close the program. I did a reinstall of Reaper today but have not closed it out since the reinstall. Hopefully that will fix it.

EDIT: Reaper has been acting VERY strange for me the last week. Lots of weird things going on.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
I've been having trouble with Reaper on closing lately as well. The project is okay I just get a Windows error asking to close the program. I did a reinstall of Reaper today but have not closed it out since the reinstall. Hopefully that will fix it.

EDIT: Reaper has been acting VERY strange for me the last week. Lots of weird things going on.
There is an option about fully unloading VSTs on project close, that 'may' help.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
There is an option about fully unloading VSTs on project close, that 'may' help.
Well, the new install didn't help so maybe I'll give that a shot. Thanks, Karb!
Old 07-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #6
tombuur

Quote:
I'd set the auto backups for .bak to something smaller time wise. Mine is something like 5 minutes. Based on the way it occurred above the project file is corrupt. You can open it in a text editor to see just how badly aka anything in clear text is probably OK anything that just looks like gobbly gook is corrupt.

I think the only chance you have is if there is just a tiny portion corrupt but my guess is that won't be the case.

I had it set to 15 mins, but I don't see any corresponding .bak files. Today I haven't had any of this blue screen problem, though.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Okay, I'm not finding this. A little help, please?
Old 07-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #8
karbomusic

Maybe it is Plug-ins > VST > Allow complete unload of VST plug-ins? Which is the last setting in VST settings window. I was sort of guessing at the name before so apologies.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:45 AM   #9
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Maybe it is Plug-ins > VST > Allow complete unload of VST plug-ins? Which is the last setting in VST settings window. I was sort of guessing at the name before so apologies.
That dood it! Thank you, Sir!
Old 07-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
Jeffsounds

Turns out that wasn't it. The problem is back today. Might be a plug in the project?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Turns out that wasn't it. The problem is back today. Might be a plug in the project?
Could be, I was suspicious of the setting because I think it really only matters when you are closing a project while loading up a new one without closing Reaper. It would be worthwhile if you could repro without anything third-party loaded.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #12
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Could be, I was suspicious of the setting because I think it really only matters when you are closing a project while loading up a new one without closing Reaper. It would be worthwhile if you could repro without anything third-party loaded.
I'm thinking it's a plug in that particular project. Loaded up another project and it closed fine. Loaded up a couple more just to check and it closed fine. Now I just gotta figure out which plugin.

I'll try it without any 3rd party plugs as well.