Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 04-23-2021, 01:30 PM   #41
javiramallo
Human being with feelings

1 do you listen to all the mixes wholly?
Yes!

2 how many times on average?
-Its depends!
Usually I drop all flacs in a Reaper project (loudness compensated) where I write the comments in each of them. At this point I feel that some of them dont need more than a couple of listens, others I need to hear them at least 3, 4, 5 or more times to define properly how my votes are going to go.
Usually it take to me between 3 to 4 days. using Headphones and Speakers.

Finally, In the voting page, I listen again for last time all mixes while I paste the comments and make the "magic little stars" appear, in order to be sure that what I am valorating is correct for me.

3 are you somehow biased in favor of other mixes that are similar to yours?
-No consciently but I guess that in some way I tend to be more seduced for mixes that took a similar approach to mine .
I think is something that one does without realizing it, I think.

4 do you check the author of the mix before voting?
-Not!
All comments are blind written . This is the most important point of that contest.
IMHO Blind valuation is priceless.

5 in that case, is it meaningful to your assessment?
-Blind valuation is priceless.

6 can you write comments not using the following words: boxy, messy, balanced or muddy?
-I admit, I am one of those who use the term "balanced" and "not balanced" ad nauseam.

Interestingly, I had never used the term Boxy until this month, but for some reason some of the sounds in this edition of our contest have sparked this term to me.

Great initiative, LCM.
Thanks for that.
Cheers!

Last edited by javiramallo; 04-23-2021 at 01:52 PM.
javiramallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:02 AM   #42
germano

Hello

My workflow:
1st - I put all flacs on a reaper project.
2nd - Ajust the beginning of the items to synchronize them.
3rd - Run the action Script: " me2beats_Auto solo for selected tracks (defer) "
4th - I can jump from track to track with a simple click and listen the same part in all of them.

I focus on diferent things at a time:
- Drums
- Vocal
- Balance
- All sitting together
- General vibe
- Position of all in space

3/4 or 5

Not at all. I do not have "my own style". I only like or not, without any style guideline.

No

No

6 can you write comments not using the following words: boxy, messy, balanced or muddy?

Eventually
germano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:37 AM   #43
Funicello3

Quote:
Originally Posted by germano View Post
3rd - Run the action Script: " me2beats_Auto solo for selected tracks (defer) "
4th - I can jump from track to track with a simple click and listen the same part in all of them.
Great tip, thanks!
Funicello3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:59 AM   #44
LCM!

It wouldn't be fair not to answer my own poll. So, there we go.

I do it. Once at least for a first ranking.

Every mix has a second chance. But later on I tend to be mainly focused on some certain spots, skipping among mixes.
Good tips in others' answers, by the way. Thanks.

I am, honestly. I'm likely to best rate those mixes that share my own choices. Although what I'm most focused on is in how much I'm pleased with the global sound of the mix.

I did this month and instantly regreted it. Just gossip, I guess. I have to admit that some of our mates are a reference for me and I was hurried to check how their mixes had been.
At least, due to my bad memory, I forgot whose each mix was when rating.

It wasn't.

It's just a simple joke; however there are some words that are so likely to come up in comments and tutorials on this topic...

Thank you mates for sharing your thoughts.
LCM! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:40 PM   #45
darjama

Just over 7 more hours to get your votes in!
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:31 PM   #46
Trogdor

I submitted my vote/notes.

Some good mixes this month!

Yes for the most part but at times it can be within 90 seconds is enough.

Typically 2 at most but sometimes I go over some parts here and there.

3 are you somehow biased in favour of other mixes that are similar to yours?
Not really, although i do know what I like but open to new ideas.

No, though after being in this for sometime, I have a good feeling who's mix is whos.

No

Balance I do, the others not so much unless it is needed.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:27 AM   #47
javiramallo

Well, it looks like I'm on a roll.
Friends thank you. it's just a matter of luck. A luck that will surely end.

I would like to give the privilege of choosing the next song to Regisforo, who did an excellent MIX, as did Jansen and EpicSounds.

Congratulations to them since it is well known, any of the first 5 could have been up, only this time it was my luck..

Hugs.
javiramallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:51 AM   #48
jansen

Congratulations, Javi! It's not luck, it's talent, you're too humble. I just finished reading your comments and yours are always positive and encouraging. Thank you for that. And it's a very nice gesture to leave the choice of song for next month to Regisfofo (or is it relief? )

There were fewer comments this month, probably because it was harder to vote: the differences between the mixes were less obvious than in previous contests. But reading about the mixes is always my favourite part. I feel I am learning a lot and improving (hopefully).

So thanks everyone and power on for the May contest!
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:04 AM   #49
LCM!

Congratulations to the top rankings; well deserved. It has been a great month, I have enjoyed the song a lot, as always. Eager to dig into others' projects (is there any issue with the downloading? there is a 404 not found, in my case). Let me add I do miss a little of feedback, sort of some comments from the winners (at least) about their projects and the way they dealt with them so for eveyone else to use it as a guide.
LCM! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:55 AM   #50
Jopame

Default Comments visible from only 14 commenters

It seems that only the comments of the first 14 commenters are visible. Comments from #15 to #20 are not visible and cannot be chosen in the dropdown menu. I've already emailed Daryl about that issue. I hope there is nothing wrong with the voting. Although: my nr. 1 mix was #19, which was Javiramallo's. Well deserved!
Old 04-28-2021, 05:58 AM   #51
jansen

It's probably because some of us did not leave comments? I mean, I understand, not everyone has the time to do this.

LCM!, as for your suggestion or leaving feedback, I can say a few words about how I approach the thing, but it's very very basic. As you can see from my project files, I'm not very-well versed in the technical side of things, and I use reaper and effects in a very basic way.

But if anyone's interested, here's the way I do it:
1. I turn all volume faders to 0 (someone suggested that here, very useful)
2. I create the different busses and then work one track at a time, setting volume/pan/effects...I add the next track only when the sound of the previous one is good to me (exception of course when there's several tracks for the snare, the kick, the overheads, then I group them together to get the sound I want).Some (most?) people add fx only at the end, when the balance is made, I don't. I EQ and compress and even add reverb/delay if needed right during the process. That way when I have finished for example the drum buss, I know I have the sound I want and it will change very little.
3. I work like this for every group of instruments, first working on the group soloed, then incorporating it in the mix. It's like cooking!
5. And then, the most important and difficult (because by then I have my ears full), I listen to it again and again, correcting everything that seems odd or that bothers me. When I stand from my seat to listen to it and I start dancing to the tune, I know it's done.

I use no analysers, no tools, simply because I don't know how to use them. It's ear work all the way.

Hope that helps someone...
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:14 AM   #52
darjama

Congrats to javiramallo and this month's other top scorers!

javiramallo has offered to let Regisfofo pick next month's song since this is his 2nd month in a row winning, which I think is something we should carry forward.

There were only 14 voters this month, but they all left comments.

I'm a bit behind in getting the project files uploaded this month, it will be there later today.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:16 AM   #53
Funicello3

Congrats Javiramallo! Great mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansen
it's probably because some of us did not leave comments?
Guilty. My apologies to everyone, I did not have time to vote/comment this month. I think this is one of the most important parts of the contest and will try to do better next month.

Last edited by Funicello3; 04-28-2021 at 07:30 AM.
Funicello3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #54
Regisfofo

Wow guys, thank you for rating me so high! And Thanks for the invitation Javiramallo, I'll gladly choose the next song (really liked your mix too by the way ). You usually choose from cambrige mt right ?

As for my mixing process, although I don't consider myself un authority on the subject, I can try to summarise a few things I try to keep in mind:

1.Volume fader is really powerfull... Don't Eq something you don't know how loud it should sound. once the volume change, the track colour change too, so you have to eq again... After each treatment, Eq/comp etc I always recheck the balance again.
So to begin with, I always do a pretty complete balance pan/fader at first before any processing, so that set to myself kind of a guideline for wich part will be strong, wich far away etc. So then I try not to process anything without that guideline in mind.
Consequence of that is automation is really really really powerfull too...

2.process the track often within context. when equing, You should listen more to the effect of what you're doing within the sound of the other tracks. Soloing can be usefull, but is dangerous too.

3.Dynamic mix is often better than a static one. On that track I did pretty huge mid/side eq automation moves on the master bus I was pretty happy with. I often use width, reverb sends automation too.
You want to follow/make stronger the song's building-ups, contrasts.

I hope my comments did not sounded too harsh, I had very little time to do that so keeped very syntetic, but if you want more explanations, please ask! (was voter#3).

Last edited by Regisfofo; 04-28-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Regisfofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:09 AM   #55
WaveTrans

Congratulations to your mix.
Was my favourite mix this month.

I looked into your reaper file and found you use a lot of jsfx I donīt know.
Unfortunately I couldnīt find them in your repository. I have reapack installed but they are still not loading. Where do I find these JXFX or better could you upload them as a bundle?

Cheers! ,
WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regisfofo View Post
Wow guys, thank you for rating me so high! And Thanks for the invitation Javiramallo, I'll gladly choose the next song (really liked your mix too by the way ). You usually choose from cambrige mt right ?

As for my mixing process, although I don't consider myself un authority on the subject, I can try to summarise a few things I try to keep in mind:

1.Volume fader is really powerfull... Don't Eq something you don't know how loud it should sound. once the volume change, the track colour change too, so you have to eq again... After each treatment, Eq/comp etc I always recheck the balance again.
So to begin with, I always do a pretty complete balance pan/fader at first before any processing, so that set to myself kind of a guideline for wich part will be strong, wich far away etc. So then I try not to process anything without that guideline in mind.
Consequence of that is automation is really really really powerfull too...

2.process the track often within context. when equing, You should listen more to the effect of what you're doing within the sound of the other tracks. Soloing can be usefull, but is dangerous too.

3.Dynamic mix is often better than a static one. On that track I did pretty huge mid/side eq automation moves on the master bus I was pretty happy with. I often use width, reverb sends automation too.
You want to follow/make stronger the song's building-ups, contrasts.

I hope my comments did not sounded too harsh, I had very little time to do that so keeped very syntetic, but if you want more explanations, please ask! (was voter#3).
WaveTrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:22 AM   #56
darjama

Hmm, I seem to have left out his jsfx, I'll do a double check tonight and reupload the projects file. Sorry about that.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:10 PM   #57
Regisfofo

Thanks Wavetrans.

Saike's reapack repository :
https://www.github.com/JoepVanlier/J...ster/index.xml
Geraint Luff's one too :
https://geraintluff.github.io/jsfx/index.xml
and the other are Mr ElWoods
https://mrelwood5.wixsite.com/plugins/dynamics
but I'm pretty messy and I kept using distincts versions of those ones...
Let me check..

Edit. I forgot about Jcjr's limiter... http://errnum.com/html/jcjr_peaklimit2.html
You can get them here

Last edited by Regisfofo; 04-30-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Regisfofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:56 PM   #58
WaveTrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regisfofo View Post
Thanks Wavetrans.

Saike's reapack repository :
https://www.github.com/JoepVanlier/J...ster/index.xml
Geraint Luff's one too :
https://geraintluff.github.io/jsfx/index.xml
and the other are Mr ElWoods
https://mrelwood5.wixsite.com/plugins/dynamics
but I'm pretty messy and I kept using distincts versions of those ones...
Let me check..

Edit. I forgot about Jcjr's limiter... http://errnum.com/html/jcjr_peaklimit2.html
You can get them here
Cheers regisfofo,

found saikes and geraints on reapack (and they do load after installing them ), but couldnīt find the others, so thanks for the links.

Nice choice for the Mai challenge.

Last edited by WaveTrans; 05-01-2021 at 12:48 AM.
WaveTrans is offline   Reply With Quote