Old 04-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Default Ok ...Post 'em...

Please post any compiled reaper plugin dll's in this thread as food for experimentation by us "managed" coders.

Anything that does anything. Describe it, upload it.

Thanks.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Deric

Lawrence,

If you haven't done so already - download the REAPER SDK.

Download the links as detailed in the 'other' thread (the one where you sort-of 'quit' ) and then follow the instructions in the two threads (on this subforum) for setting up the C++ Express Studio stuff with the MS SDK.

Then got into \reaper_extension_sdk(6)\jmde\csurf

and double-click the reaper_csurf.dsw file, click 'Yes' when it asks you if you want to 'Convert'.

If that's too much like hard work (if you just want to take a look) then forget all that and just right click one of the .cpp files (in the above directory) and choose 'Edit' and the code will displayed - in all its glory.

Have a look - it's all there.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Xenakios

https://stash.reaper.fm/998/reaper_xe...ns06042008.zip

Mostly quite basic and lame and/or esoteric stuff. Can be found from the action list by searching for actions starting with "Xenakios" and "Silly". The plugin also inserts some of those new commands to the "Track" and "Insert" main menus of Reaper. Note, nothing of this is guaranteed to

a) work at all,
b) NOT to crap up the currently open Reaper project,
c) have any meaningful documentation at this point,

so use with caution and on projects that are not very important. (That is, just start a new test project and try this stuff in that.) After getting bored and totally unimpressed by all that, you can just delete the DLL from the Reaper/Plugins directory where you put it.

Last edited by Xenakios; 04-10-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
Lawrence

Thanks X.

Maybe I shouldn't have started a new thread... sorry Deric.

P.S. If either of you get time can you investigate using _stdcall with the export function? It seems this is required to be compatible with vb6. Sorry about the new thread.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142840

That info might be outdated.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Xenakios

Or maybe I misunderstood you, Lawrence? My DLL won't likely do anything that might help you with your Visual Basic quests...It just exports the one function that Reaper needs etc. There is no way you could communicate with it, other than sending command codes to Reaper via the Windows SendMessage-functions or something.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
sws
Code Monkey

Default ReaConsole

My little console plugin is here, and here's its main forum thread.
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Or maybe I misunderstood you, Lawrence? My DLL won't likely do anything that might help you with your Visual Basic quests...It just exports the one function that Reaper needs etc. There is no way you could communicate with it, other than sending command codes to Reaper via the Windows SendMessage-functions or something.
Yeah, I'm tilting at windmills here a bit.

What I'm doing is trying to duplicate a C++ dll with a VB dll... which is I'm afraid... a lost cause. Just another avenue for investigation. My brain works like that when I approach problems - I look from every conceivable angle. When everything else is eliminated what's left must be true.

I'm pretty sure what's gonna be "left" is ... impossbility.

I have some tools that will allow me to "look inside" dll's a litte to determine their export functions etc. In my little fantasy world I would eventually figure out a way to create a dll in VB that Reaper could actually load and use.

My first attempt is a VB created dll that when loaded pops up a message box to let me know that it's actually been loaded. It obviously does nothing when Reaper loads it.

The Quest Continues.

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-11-2008 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:56 AM   #8
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
What I'm doing is trying to dupliocate a C++ dll with a VB dll... which is I'm afraid... a lost cause. Just another avenue for investigation, my brain works like that when I approach problems I look from every conceivable angle.
Well, it maybe isn't entirely hopeless. The Reaper plugins need to export just a plain C-function that must return an integer value, not anything C++ spesific. Quickly again looking at the APIs, seems* what you need full C++ for :

-Extensive control surface support
-Implementing new custom PCM_Sources (that is audio file format import/playback support and "generators" like the existing click source and SMPTE generator.)
-Implementing new custom "Sinks" (I am not entirely sure what they are but they at least handle the writing of new audio files to hard disk...)
-Using Reaper's built-in time stretch/pitch shift/resampling facilities for PCM_Sources (and maybe implementing new such processing facilities)

* I might be terribly wrong with any/all aspects of this.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 AM   #9
404NotFound

First release of my CRAP plugin - it lets Reaper Create and Read Ardour Projects:
Link to DLL

What works:
Import:
- track and buss names
- item placement

To do:
- whole export section
- find the right sound files directory (either /sounds or /interchange/$NAME/soundfiles)
- volume, pan, solo, mute
- fades
- routing
- markers
- tempo
- track colors
404NotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:55 AM   #10
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404NotFound View Post
First release of my CRAP plugin - it lets Reaper Create and Read Ardour Pprojects:
Can you do that for Cubase projects? I'll send you an XML file if you want.

You can call it...

Cubase Users Necessity Tool?

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-11-2008 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:00 AM   #11
Xenakios

Quote:
First release of my CRAP plugin - it lets Reaper Create and Read Ardour Projects:
Could you post a simple Ardour project, too? Ubuntu on my computer doesn't want to install Ardour with any easy methods, so I can't create Ardour projects myself...
Old 04-11-2008, 07:12 AM   #12
404NotFound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Can you do that for Cubase projects? I'll send you an XML file if you want.

You can call it...

Cubase Users Necessity Tool?
Cubase does XML!? I always thougt it produces some kind of binary or compressed/encoded gibberish, but in this case it wouldn't be that difficult since Ardour sessions are XML too
404NotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #13
Xenakios

Quote:
Cubase does XML!? I always thougt it produces some kind of binary or compressed/encoded gibberish, but in this case it wouldn't be that difficult since Ardour sessions are XML too
Well, once you see the Steinberg XML-files, you may reconsider that "wouldn't be that difficult". The native format isn't XML, I believe, but there is an option to export "track archives" that are XML.