Old 09-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
romick
Human being with feelings

Default Animated Splash?

Maybe this has been posteded before, so forgive the repeat.

How could one create an amimated opening Splash Screen like the default? And where would the default Splash Screen live on the computer? Is it a separate file, or just built into the code of REAPER?
romick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:43 AM   #2
Bri1
Banned

Higho -Well there's a number of ways to create the anims on windosez,but sadly reaper will not load them currently-only these formats atmo>

Think the logo is hard coded,but that doesn't mean it's not possible-there is just *no access* right now--might not change either-- it depends whether the lords will favour this.
Anims will go into the big clock area though. =)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by romick View Post
Maybe this has been posteded before, so forgive the repeat.

How could one create an amimated opening Splash Screen like the default? And where would the default Splash Screen live on the computer? Is it a separate file, or just built into the code of REAPER?
** Verified. I have tried everything even a .gif. And the animation is hard coded into the .exe, along with the credits seq and the default or ver. 1 icons which makeup the original theme. You can get to this content by using a decompiler or dissasembler on the Reaper.exe file.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
** Verified.

You can get to this content by using a decompiler or dissasembler on the Reaper.exe file.
Hmmm um- this is unadvisable imo- users must also read terms and conditions--they are being accepted by user by using product..?
This needs some clarifying from cockos really because there's a lot of file modding going on--where does 1 draw a line here?

This is part of the distribution agreement-please read -it may be binding.
"2. License Grant.
(b) Except as expressly permitted herein or by applicable law, Licensee shall not, and shall not permit any distributor or other person to, re-configure, modify, translate, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or otherwise determine or attempt to determine source code from the Product or to create any derivative works based upon the Products. If Licensee or any distributor fails to comply with this Section 2(b), Cockos may immediately (in addition to all other remedies it may have and except for end user licenses) revoke all licenses granted hereunder. "
"5. Support. The Product comes with no support from Cockos. "
Etc,etc,etc.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #5
Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
Hmmm um- this is unadvisable imo- users must also read terms and conditions--they are being accepted by user by using product..?
This needs some clarifying from cockos really because there's a lot of file modding going on--where does 1 draw a line here?

This is part of the distribution agreement-please read -it may be binding.
"2. License Grant.
(b) Except as expressly permitted herein or by applicable law, Licensee shall not, and shall not permit any distributor or other person to, re-configure, modify, translate, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or otherwise determine or attempt to determine source code from the Product or to create any derivative works based upon the Products. If Licensee or any distributor fails to comply with this Section 2(b), Cockos may immediately (in addition to all other remedies it may have and except for end user licenses) revoke all licenses granted hereunder. "
"5. Support. The Product comes with no support from Cockos. "
Etc,etc,etc.
A couple points:

1. I wasnt and would never instruct
anyone to deliberately mod any of Jeffos work, mostly because it is closer to perfect than anything i have used to date, I was simply offering the location of the splash artwork, font, and original primitives and glyphs, for those who may wish to have acces to them. After all, they are part of the payload.

2. There have been a few mods over the years that have been done to the .exe via hex editing, for example, the hack that changes all width and pan display
info to upper case. These mods were made, featured on the forum, and accepted with arms open. Because there is is a standard of bettering the overall product, and making it more accaccessible to a wider audience, there types of ventures rarely bring scorn.

For cordiality sake, and out of respect to Jeff and Co., I would certainly condone asking permission, or dropping a line of notification at least, but I think there is a definate freedom granted to REAPER users that makea rhis community amazing....let's not forget that.

Never
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:39 AM   #6
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
but I think there is a definate freedom granted to REAPER users that makea rhis community amazing....let's not forget that.
Yes-this is actually 1 confusing part-- by agreement users say 'ok I will not mod' but the programme is open to modding--- this is a contradiction of terms right?
Needs clarification {imo} I don't make the rules,apparently just break them. =)
The other slight confusion regarding license is said before--- the devs include a plugin that requires 2 licenses to use it.
This makes little sense if users are not fair warned...

I certainly didn't want the cockos special ops squad bashing in the front door at 2am,if someone was to accidently leave 2 computers on at the same time,or a config file was made---- to revoke the reaper-license.rk!!
Old 09-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
The other slight confusion regarding license is said before--- the devs include a plugin that requires 2 licenses to use it.
Using Reamote does not require a 2nd license, and there is no contradiction either. The rationale might be that the 2nd copy is running only to host plug-ins on the 2nd computer to serve the main REAPER instance on the first computer. The networked 2nd host computer becomes a part of the same process and project, and hence it could be seen as a part of the same machine (maybe similar to "render farms").
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #8
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Using Reamote does not require a 2nd license, and there is no contradiction either. The rationale might be that the 2nd copy is running only to host plug-ins on the 2nd computer to serve the main REAPER instance on the first computer. The networked 2nd host computer becomes a part of the same process and project, and hence it could be seen as a part of the same machine (maybe similar to "render farms").
Heya Ollie-ok! well thank you for replying ++ showing you do have many human feelings clarity+wisdom >>but!> there still maybe confusion there..only 1 machine per license< right?no
TBH it matters 0 to -me- and from what I can gather_probably matters little to cockos other than a required formality..it's bollox legalese and so called political correctness anyways..

If* a specific set of files must not be touched- this can be shown readily?

Ollie-are you able to answer the op's question??, because,I also wished for this at 1 moment.
Cheers.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
Icchan

I was just wondering this today as well...

It would be great to be able to make custom animation for the splash screen

Makes things feel just a bit more "homey"
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:23 PM   #10
dirtbag1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never View Post
** Verified. I have tried everything even a .gif. And the animation is hard coded into the .exe, along with the credits seq and the default or ver. 1 icons which makeup the original theme. You can get to this content by using a decompiler or dissasembler on the Reaper.exe file.
I did manage to replace the Icon with one I made in photoshop using resource hacker
dirtbag1972 is offline   Reply With Quote