Old 09-21-2017, 12:21 AM   #1
trevlyns
Human being with feelings

Default VST Spring clean

Sorry guys – I’m a music person NOT a computer boffin…

How would I go about doing a VST spring clean? After several years of accumulating VST’s, I’ve come to the realization that I will probably only ever work with a handful of them.. I mean, how many EQ’s and compressors do you really need.

Also, they are stored in many different locations across my PC and, to be honest, I don’t even know if I have them all showing up in Reaper.

Ideally I’d like to consolidate the one’s I want to keep into ONE folder in ONE location - C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\UserPlugins

Mission impossible? Or is there a bone-head proof method of doing this. Many thanks.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:35 AM   #2
DarkStar

Spring-cleaning is good. But there is no bone-head-proof method; you have to understand what you are doing.

That folder is not intended for third-party plug-ins. Many people create two, e.g. (on Windows) C:/VST64 and C:/VST32), with sub-folders in them, for different developers or different type (EQs, Compressors, Reverbs, Synths, Samplers etc).

If you really want a single folder you could use C:/plugins/VST64 and C:/plugins/VST32.

Then, set Reaper's VST plug-in path to one or both of those. If you start Reaper now you will only have the Cockos plug-ins available. For any plug-in that you want uninstall it from its current location and reinstall it into those folders. Do that until you have 'enough' plug-ins.

Use Reaper for a few months. You may find that you need a few more plug-ins. Uninstall and reinstall, as above. Then, when you're feeling brave: uninstall any others that are left.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:57 AM   #3
trevlyns

Great advice - thanks DS

So could I just 'copy and paste' from their original locations - talking non Reaper plugs here. In my prefs, I have plugs in at least 10 locations.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:40 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevlyns View Post
So could I just 'copy and paste' from their original locations - talking non Reaper plugs here. In my prefs, I have plugs in at least 10 locations.
In general, this can vary depending on the plugin. For some it's fine to just move the plugin files to a different location (without breaking anything). Others will require doing a reinstall.

In addition, some/many plugin installers are still installing files to a default location regardless (without giving you any option to select a different location).
But in many of this cases it helps to just place a shortcut (which points to the file in the original install location) into your custom plugin folder.

As a side note: it might also be useful in general to make a spreadsheet of all your plugins with additional info (as example: install location, version number, available plugin formats, compatibility issues, etc.) to have an overview of which plugins you have. And maybe also to see which ones you aren't using at all ...

Last edited by solger; 09-21-2017 at 04:06 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:13 AM   #5
ivansc

The good news is that you only have to do the major reshuffling once. I started doing clean-outs a few years back and the first one WAS a bit of a nightmare, but it taught me a lot about how plugins get installed, where to look and what you could just delete rather than uninstall.

You are never going to get all your plugs in just one or two directories because there are still plugin manufacturers who insist on using /steinberg/ or similar or forcing you to use their pet directory names and locations - not much you can really, safely do about that.
Any waves plugs you have are best left as installed by Waves, btw.

One thing you can do to significantly improve performance is to put as few of the ancillary files as possible in the actual "vst plugins" directories.
I have a separate drive called samples and as many of the associated sample files as I can go in that drive.
For instance every one of my Native Instruments Kontakt libraries and third party stuff's samples are stored on the samples drive and Kontakt re-directed to find them there.
Same with all the Toontrack drums stuff - now totalling almost 300meg in my case.
And of course remember you have to clear/re-scan after you get the new plugin paths entered in Reaper.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:36 AM   #6
trevlyns

'preciate the advice fella's - seems I could be letting myself in for more trouble than what it's worth.

Just watched a Kenny vid and I think I'll just go for organizing my faves in appropriate folders in the FX browser.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:08 AM   #7
vassaux

It's definitely worth the trouble. I'd accumulated years worth if free plug-ins, most of which I never use. Just rebuilt my system, and starting from scratch, I have severely curtailed my list.
vassaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #8
Softsynth

Within Reaper I created folders for Favourites, EQ, reverb, compressors, a handful of brands, FX and so on. Those are my go to files instead of the massive list.

Deleting VSTs couldn't be easier. Either uninstall via Windows or simply delete them if they don't have entries to delete. Surely you can find out what folders they are in? How else does Reaper find them? It would be slow to have Reaper scan the entire drive/s machine every time.

You can remind yourself of those specific plugin paths by Preferences>plugins>VST.

Also typically:
Program files>VST plugins folder & Steinberg folder.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #9
Likko

I create a folder similar to the original location. (i.e. programfiles/vst64 or programfiles/vstplugins) I name that folder "vstplugins-not in use" and move any vst plugs that I don't use to that folder. They're still there if I ever need them but they're not in my Reaper FX currently, if that makes sense?
Likko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:28 AM   #10
pryere

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
In general, this can vary depending on the plugin. For some it's fine to just move the plugin files to a different location (without breaking anything). Others will require doing a reinstall.

In addition, some/many plugin installers are still installing files to a default location regardless (without giving you any option to select a different location).
But in many of this cases it helps to just place a shortcut (which points to the file in the original install location) into your custom plugin folder.

As a side note: it might also be useful in general to make a spreadsheet of all your plugins with additional info (as example: install location, version number, available plugin formats, compatibility issues, etc.) to have an overview of which plugins you have. And maybe also to see which ones you aren't using at all ...
Don't do anything before making notes. It can get messy very quickly without 'em.
I tried to install some NI hardware recently, they are very picky about VST locations.
It forced me to have that tidy up I knew was overdue.
I got rid of all the stuff I never use, free and paid.

NI now has it's own exclusive folder.
I have ONE other folder for 64 bit only.
I considered having separate folders for instrument/FX but everything works well without having to do that.

I had lots of old crap that I had forgotten about in lots of locations.

Anything new does not go to the makers default location with all the other stuff you dont need. 32 bit, AAX, files etc.

Feel free to ask about my methods to all this if you decide to go ahead.

Peace
pryere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #11
C-H

All good advice here.

Then.... just send me all unused VST & VSTi for an off-site backup.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #12
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-H View Post
All good advice here.

Then.... just send me all unused VST & VSTi for an off-site backup.
That's fine. Be my guest. You can find them all on the lists of best freebies, both here and the wider net.
Not deleted any commercial plugins that I ended up purchasing as yet.
Otherwise I've sold the licenses.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #13
Jeffsounds

I've been planning a spring clean of my vst's for about 4 or 5 years now... I really have to do that... right after I mow the lawn... or... something...
Old 09-23-2017, 05:19 AM   #14
DUCKETT

*Don LaFontaine voice* Next week on "PlugHoarders", you'll hear: Wrenching confessions!

Duckett: My name's Duckett, and... my.. my main Plugins folder's over 18 GB!
Plugins Anonymous meeting: Hi, Duckett!

It's the freeware. It's just sooo easy to note some project site with a noble attempt to find a fresh angle, click download, and watch your reaction over time to its listing in your plugins go from "Hmm, really should give this thing work, or not bother" to "Weird name.. didn't categorize it... What's it do? Why did I install this again?"

I exaggerate, but I admit to wanting REAPER to be able to sort plugins by Last Used or some such;
however, it's just like other hoarding, I guess- if you don't use it in a year, get rid of it (Not to be applied to insurance).