Old 08-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #2121
mrelwood
Human being with feelings

Default "Implode select items in-place" broken?

I have 4 takes in a single audio item. I explode the takes in place, and right away select "Xenakios/SWS: Implode select items in-place".

End result: Four items on top of eachother, each containing the 4 takes TWICE. Total of 32 takes. That can't be right. I would've expected to have one item with 4 takes, like I had before exploding the takes.

Happens with v. 2.8.6.0 and 2.8.7.0.
_

This is an action that doesn't have an automated workaround, so the custom action I'm trying to build would rely on this.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #2122
mrelwood

Xenakios/SWS: Render item to new take with tail...

This action doesn't work. It asks for tail length, but no matter how much I set, the rendered item does not have a (visible or hidden) tail. Only the visible section is rendered.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:24 PM   #2123
vanhaze

Hi,

Indeed, this Action seems wonky.
But try this instead:

1) Drag the right edge of the item with your left mouse button held, to the right, over the length you
want to be the tail length.
So if you want 3 seconds tail, drag right edge over a distance of 3 seconds.

2) Run Action "Item: apply track/take FX to items"

Outcome: Item will be rendered with a tail of 3 seconds.
Maybe abit cumbersome workaround but it works.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #2124
mrelwood

Thanks vanhaze, but this is (or would be) a part of a bit more complex custom action. What I wish to do is to convert a 10-song multitrack band recording (28GB) from .wav to Wavpack. Save As + Copy crashes on this project for some reason.

Currently the best I've come up with is a custom action including zoom to project, expand edges, render as take, shrink, crop to take etc. Muted items temporarily unmuted and processed separately, as rendering muted items produces empty takes.

There are a few routes that _should_ work in achieving this, but all of them are currently non-functional.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:39 AM   #2125
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
Xenakios/SWS: Render item to new take with tail...

This action doesn't work. It asks for tail length, but no matter how much I set, the rendered item does not have a (visible or hidden) tail. Only the visible section is rendered.
OK, confirmed here it doesn't work anymore. Which is not surprising, considering it uses a hacky way to temporarily modify the tail length setting. I think Reaper has since got more options to deal with the render tail lengths and the extension code probably broke then.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:48 AM   #2126
EvilDragon

So where's Tim? He chimed in a couple of months ago and it all sounded pretty hopeful that SWS is going to be back in its tracks... Nothing happening yet.

Xen I suppose you're not going back into the project, right? I wonder how many commands (other than those already marked as such) are deprecated by now...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:00 AM   #2127
wol

I've mailed Tim 2 days ago but still had no answer...
wol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #2128
noahphense

Default mailing list / newsletter

Is there an official mailing list, or newsletter for SWS. Or do we just have to manually check, when updates are put out?

- np
noahphense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:03 AM   #2129
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahphense View Post
Is there an official mailing list, or newsletter for SWS. Or do we just have to manually check, when updates are put out?

- np
You have a tick in Extensions menu.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #2130
noahphense

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
You have a tick in Extensions menu.
Excellent, ok. I have not installed it yet.

My first real question is:

Without SWS, is there really no way in Reaper, to save an FX Chains (with there settings/attributes)? To be applied later -- somewhere else.

- np
Old 09-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #2131
clepsydrae

Quote:
Without SWS, is there really no way in Reaper, to save an FX Chains (with there settings/attributes)? To be applied later -- somewhere else.
Hmmm, not sure why you thought you needed SWS?

In Reaper (without SWS), simply select the FX in the FX browser and ctrl-S (or select some of them and right click to save just the selected FX).

To instantiate them, on a track you right-click on the "FX" button and pick the chain from the menu.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #2132
noahphense

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Hmmm, not sure why you thought you needed SWS?

In Reaper (without SWS), simply select the FX in the FX browser and ctrl-S (or select some of them and right click to save just the selected FX).

To instantiate them, on a track you right-click on the "FX" button and pick the chain from the menu.
My apologies, guess it's time for more espresso. More so, I meant to refer to the snapshot feature. I guess that can sort of be accomplished by just having a bunch of different save-as files. But SWS looks like it makes quick work of that.

- np
Old 09-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #2133
clepsydrae

Quote:
My apologies, guess it's time for more espresso. More so, I meant to refer to the snapshot feature. I guess that can sort of be accomplished by just having a bunch of different save-as files. But SWS looks like it makes quick work of that.
I'm not aware of any snapshot-like feature in native reaper, except for track templates and the like.

Is there some reason you don't want to install SWS?
Old 09-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #2134
noahphense

Quote:
I'm not aware of any snapshot-like feature in native reaper, except for track templates and the like.

Is there some reason you don't want to install SWS?
I'm dying to install it. Let me throw a few logical questions out there.

A. 1-10, how stable is SWS? Does it effect the stability of the Reaper core?

B. Install related: When Reaper has a new install. What is the best practice for getting everything back to normal? (meaning Reaper+SWS)

ie. When Reaper has a new install, just like the other day. I literally uninstall the previous version, and install new. Well, except for the appdata folder where all of my settings and all of Reapers settings are stored.

C. Install related: When SWS has a new version out. What is the process there. Do we process an uninstall of SWS first, then install the new SWS version?

I ask about installs in detail, because, I don't roll with sloppy setups of any of my apps. What is sloppy? Sloppy is installing a new version directly over an old version.
a. that creates unnecessary registry entries
b. leaves files behind that will never see the light of day again
c. there are more reasons, but I'll stop boring you with that ..

I've just downloaded the StayWithMe sample project listed in the manual, and will be installing SWS shortly. Section 2.3 in the manual looks like where it starts working with that sample project.

Is that the best place to start, tutorial-wise? As I notice the manual is coded for v1.7.1 (2010) and it's current version is: 2.8.3 (Jan-2016).

- np
Old 09-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #2135
clepsydrae

Quote:
A. 1-10, how stable is SWS? Does it effect the stability of the Reaper core?
It's perfectly stable, as far as I'm aware. Maybe there is an instance or two of SWS crashing something, but lots of people use it in fully professional environments, afaik. I wouldn't hesitate for this reason. Whatever pain it might cause would be far outweighed by the gains in efficiency. :-)

Quote:
B. Install related: When Reaper has a new install. What is the best practice for getting everything back to normal? (meaning Reaper+SWS)
Nothing is required -- reaper will remember all past settings and SWS will still be there. SWS actions do gradually get less functional over time if they are not updated (as seen in this thread) but it's not something that generally needs to be worried about.

That said, SWS isn't native reaper, and there aren't apparently lots of people keeping it up right now, so if you want a fully supported experience, you can stay away. But it's not some wild-west reverse-engineered hack, either: it's a very stable and respected pack of additional functionality, developed by people with close ties to Cockos.

Quote:
ie. When Reaper has a new install, just like the other day. I literally uninstall the previous version, and install new. Well, except for the appdata folder where all of my settings and all of Reapers settings are stored.
SWS will install to your personal plugins folder (afaik) so it will persist across reaper installations. Someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

Also, when installing new reaper versions, there's no need to uninstall the old version. Reaper is a clean and simple install, unlike some other software *cough cough*.

I also encourage use of the "portable" install option when installing: that puts everything the program uses (including your personal settings) into one contained directory that you can easily back up, or take with you on a thumb drive wherever you go, etc. You can also use that to test various versions of reaper, sws, etc., because each installation is totally isolated from the others. No registry entries (afaik, at least none that matter), etc.

Quote:
C. Install related: When SWS has a new version out. What is the process there. Do we process an uninstall of SWS first, then install the new SWS version?
No uninstall needed.

Quote:
a. that creates unnecessary registry entries
b. leaves files behind that will never see the light of day again
c. there are more reasons, but I'll stop boring you with that ..
I understand the idea in general, especially with the nutso way most software installs these days, but you don't need to worry about all that mess with reaper. One of the many perks. :-)

Quote:
Is that the best place to start, tutorial-wise?
Can't help you there.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #2136
noahphense

Thanks for the great answers.

Portable may be there way to go for me. Even though I do daily system backups. I will rip out and reinstall Reaper as portable, then install SWS inside of that.

I am assuming that SWS is also portable? Not that it creates a folder buried in %appdata% with all of it's settings, as does the standard install of Reaper.

- np
Old 09-08-2016, 01:06 PM   #2137
clepsydrae

Quote:
Portable may be there way to go for me. Even though I do daily system backups. I will rip out and reinstall Reaper as portable, then install SWS inside of that.

I am assuming that SWS is also portable? Not that it creates a folder buried in %appdata% with all of it's settings, as does the standard install of Reaper.
I'd be shocked if SWS wasn't portable, since so many people use the portable reaper install method and they'd all be mad if SWS didn't move along with it. But i haven't tested that personally.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #2138
run_esc

There are some articles on some of the SWS functions on the Cockos Wiki, they've been useful to me but aren't always up to date or complete (or just don't exist at all). Has K. Gioia done any SWS tutorial vids? Think he may only do vanilla Reaper.
run_esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #2139
heda

thank you JamesPeters and wol
It must be something corrupted on my installation.
I've tried to uninstall SWS and remove the sws-autocoloricon.ini, then install the latest stable release 2.8.3.
Same result. auto colors and auto icons are gone the next time I open the project.
I've tried to remove all autocolor information from the RPP file directly with notepad. Then the next time I open the project, the colors and icons are good. But then I save and reopen and they are gone again. Now, each time I open a project I must go to the autocolor settings and press Force to be able to get the colors and icons. I don't know what else to do. But I'm sure it must be something on my end.. nobody else is complaining about it.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #2140
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I've tried to uninstall SWS and remove the sws-autocoloricon.ini, then install the latest stable release 2.8.3.
^ unfortunate timing given the preceding few posts. :-) noahphense don't worry too much about this; if you follow this thread SWS will seem like it's buggy and falling apart, but the reality is that it's generally fine -- as fine as any software is likely to be, anyway. :-)
Old 09-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #2141
wol

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
thank you JamesPeters and wol
Same result. auto colors and auto icons are gone the next time I open the project.
I've tried to remove all autocolor information from the RPP file directly with notepad. Then the next time I open the project, the colors and icons are good. But then I save and reopen and they are gone again. Now, each time I open a project I must go to the autocolor settings and press Force to be able to get the colors and icons. I don't know what else to do. But I'm sure it must be something on my end.. nobody else is complaining about it.
I've never had this behavior, so no idea where you problem is (actually I use autocolor and layout, not icons).
Old 09-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #2142
MRMJP

How do I find out who made the SWS/S&M action to "Copy All Item FX" and "Paste FX to All Selected Items"?

There is something about the way it copies that isn't aware of the pin connectors which is something that was tweaked by reaper in 5.25pre4.

My goal is to copy an entire item FX chain, and paste that chain to some other selected items, and have the pin connections be copied and assigned as well.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #2143
wol

Jeffos made it but he left SWS.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #2144
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol View Post
Jeffos made it but he left SWS.
Thanks. I was afraid of something like that. I assume there's probably not a way for it to be updated?
Old 09-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #2145
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Thanks. I was afraid of something like that. I assume there's probably not a way for it to be updated?
It's open source... we just need some motivated C++ folks. :-)
Old 09-10-2016, 07:43 AM   #2146
wol

In github there is "reaper-oss" that took the sws repo. I've written a message to Justin and Tim but had no answer, so I don't know what's going on.
Maybe I can have a look at code if I have time, but for now it seems nobody is going to release the new version.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #2147
mschnell

Quote:
It's open source... we just need some motivated C++ folks. :-)
I suppose there are not many programmers that would take on the task to maintain such a huge package. So it would be very appropriate to split the thingy into several parts.

I would be happy to try to maintain "LiveConfigs" (no financial interest involved).

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #2148
vitalker

I see nofish in that group. So he should have an access to the group.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #2149
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
I see nofish in that group. So he should have an access to the group.
No, I've only submitted a pull request for an action I did for SWS, but I'm not in the group of SWS maintainers.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #2150
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I suppose there are not many programmers that would take on the task to maintain such a huge package. So it would be very appropriate to split the thingy into several parts.
Sorry, I tend to disagree.
Imo the beauty of SWS (for the end user) is that you get all the functionality from a single extension and not have to dig around at various places (as it previously was with scripts, until ReaPack came).

Given that SWS maintainance will be active again in the near future, but I'm confident this will happen. Tim has said so (I know it's been some time since) and Justin also said Cockos will have an eye on it.

http://www.askjf.com/index.php?q=3521s

Last edited by nofish; 09-12-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #2151
run_esc

Thanks, nofish, this is very encouraging.
run_esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #2152
vanhaze

IMHO, SWS is just a piece of the heart of Reaper.
The functionality it has brought within Reaper is just amazing and makes it stand out against other DAW's.
One of the reasons i choose for Reaper, against other DAW's i used for years.

I have made many custom Actions, based on many SWS Actions, inducing an incredible speedy workflow.

I really hope SWS is not gonna die.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #2153
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Sorry, I tend to disagree.
Imo the beauty of SWS (for the end user) is that you get all the functionality from a single extension and not have to dig around at various places (as it previously was with scripts, until ReaPack came).

Given that SWS maintainance will be active again in the near future, but I'm confident this will happen. Tim has said so (I know it's been some time since) and Justin also said Cockos will have an eye on it.

http://www.askjf.com/index.php?q=3521s
Well said, 100% agree.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #2154
mustgroove

Seeing as this is the more active SWS thread, I'll post this here:

SWS Snapshots is broken with AOM Invisible Limiter G2 VST3 - when recalling a snapshot with this plugin in the FX Chain, the plugin loads with default settings.

The VST version works OK, seems to just be VST3.
mustgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:12 AM   #2155
Rmn

Hello, I would like to suggest more options for customizing the fx chains auto-save feature :

Files names & output location could be the same as recorded audio takes, and use the same wildcards.

The folder where audio takes are recorded by default is relative to project.
"Project Settings / Media / Path to save media files"

The wildcards would help me a lot organizing fxchains, because I create a lot of them.
"Preferences / Recording / Filename format for recorded files"

Would it be possible ?
Rmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #2156
nofish

I think best place for SWS bugs / requests is probably

https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/issues
Old 09-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #2157
woggle

Default how to uninstall sws?

Before I install the extensions I wanted to find out how to uninstall them in case something goes wrong
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #2158
zappsunzorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by woggle View Post
Before I install the extensions I wanted to find out how to uninstall them in case something goes wrong
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=43751
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #2159
woggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappsunzorn View Post

thanks, almost seems too easy somehow
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #2160
mawi

All my item notes are lost when I pressed the Undo button.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote