Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2021, 01:53 PM   #1
David_Music
Human being with feelings

Default I'm having issues sidechaining

Hi guys,

this is my first post here, I usually find answers to my questions from previous threads on here or on tutorials, but I'm sort of stumped on this one.

I'm trying to do side chain compression, where my synth sound ducks when the kick is triggered.

both of these tracks are midi notes, aka they are not waveforms/audio on the track.

This is what I do, as demonstrated in a heap of video tuts I've watched:

1. I send the kick track to the synth track, (setting it up as a sidechain, so it's 1/2->3/4) and then

2. add reacomp as an FX to the synth track

3. change the detector input on reacomp to Aux L+R, and then adjust my comp settings as desired.

in my FX chain on the synth I have it ordered like this:
Synth VST plugin
ReaComp

According to the tutorials I've watched, this should result in the synth ducking out when the kick drum plays, however it will not work for me. the compressor doesn't show to be doing anything... but here's the weird thing (at least I think it's weird)... when I initially set the threshold on my compressor, it will show that it's doing something, just for that split second that I've clicked on it. but then after that it does nothing. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I read that by setting the midi in the routing from all -> all to none -> none it would fix the issue, but that hasn't. I feel like I've tried everything and it's just not working...

I've tried doing this with straight up audio tracks, aka no midi, and it works fine.

I've attached an image showing my settings etc.

Hopefully someone can pick up on some mistake I'm making and help me with this!

Many thanks and best wishes,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (53.5 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by David_Music; 03-05-2021 at 05:27 PM. Reason: added a screenshot
David_Music is offline   Reply With Quote