Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #1
K8ch
Human being with feelings

Default Help.. ""FX" doesn't show up -yet it plays. Sometimes.

Hi fellow Reaper lovers,

This is -really- a odd thing. It may be a bug -or just be my own fault, so I'm posting it here and am including a photo, to help explain things.

I have Kontakt loaded into the first 3 tracks.
The 3 corresponding "FX" buttons in the mixer area are green, and I can see that Kontakt is loaded into all 3 tracks.

However...those 3 tracks behave/appear differently:

Track 1 (Symph. Strings) seems to play just fine...but the "FX" button is gray, showing no effects are loaded -despite the fact that the same track of the mixer DOES have the FX (Kontakt) loaded.
And yet, when I hit "play", this track plays fine.

Track 2: (Bass) In the mixer area, the "FX" is green and it appears Kontakt is properly loaded, but in the same track at the side panel/ above, the "FX" is gray showing no FX/Kontakt is loaded.
So, when I click on the gray FX button of track 2, I can confirm that no FX appear to be loaded.
When I hit play, I can't hear anything and there is no movement of the green level indicator, as it plays.

Track 3: All appears normal with the track in both the mixer and in the track above. This appears to work fine.

I don't know how to re-create any of this, unfortunately.
I am running a HP desktop with 12gb of RAM, and a Win7 Pro OS.

I believe this is version 5.51...so I'm not sure if the latest version fixed this.

I'd love to hear from folks to see if this is something you've seen before.
Thank you, in advance, for any thoughts or guidance you can offer.

Peace,

K8ch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper.JPG (47.0 KB, 227 views)
Old 10-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
solger

Very strange.

Have you already tried to reload the project?
And what happens if you temporarily switch to a different Theme (Options > Themes)? - just to see if it has any effect on the Track FX buttons ...

Otherwise can you maybe attach a simple .RPP project file (you don't need to include any midi or audio files) with the 'problem tracks' to a post so we can test this on our system.

Last edited by solger; 10-12-2017 at 09:37 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
Tod

Hi Keith, I can't really tell to much from your picture, it's pretty small and blurry.

But it does appear that you're using the Kontakt VSTi track as both midi input and audio output. I know there are those that do it that way, however, I not only think it can create problems, but it can also cut down on your options.

I don't know if I'm totally different than others or not, but I put all my midi tracks in the TCP and all my Kontakt VSTi tracks in the MCP along with it's outputs. Here's a shot of a project I've working on today. You can see my midi tracks up in the TCP and all my Kontakt VSTi and outputs in the MCP. I know it's ugly but I don't really care how it looks, it's how it performs for me that's important, as least to me.

As to why your bass track isn't playing, I'm not sure, what controllers are assigned to it in Kontakt? What I'd do is open kontakt and play the track.

Check to make sure the slider for the main volume is up at least to -12 or -6dB (I usually keep mine around 0.0dB depending on the instrument).
Do the main meters indicate there is a signal coming out? If they do, then that indicates a routing problem in Reaper.

If they don't, then it indicates a possible CC controller issue. For example, if CC11 is assigned to the "Amplifier" in the bass instrument, then perhaps it needs a CC11 placed at the front of your bass midi track. Or it could be another controller, Check the manual to see what controllers if any, are used.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
K8ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Keith, I can't really tell to much from your picture, it's pretty small and blurry.

But it does appear that you're using the Kontakt VSTi track as both midi input and audio output. I know there are those that do it that way, however, I not only think it can create problems, but it can also cut down on your options.

I don't know if I'm totally different than others or not, but I put all my midi tracks in the TCP and all my Kontakt VSTi tracks in the MCP along with it's outputs. Here's a shot of a project I've working on today. You can see my midi tracks up in the TCP and all my Kontakt VSTi and outputs in the MCP. I know it's ugly but I don't really care how it looks, it's how it performs for me that's important, as least to me.

As to why your bass track isn't playing, I'm not sure, what controllers are assigned to it in Kontakt? What I'd do is open kontakt and play the track.

Check to make sure the slider for the main volume is up at least to -12 or -6dB (I usually keep mine around 0.0dB depending on the instrument).
Do the main meters indicate there is a signal coming out? If they do, then that indicates a routing problem in Reaper.

If they don't, then it indicates a possible CC controller issue. For example, if CC11 is assigned to the "Amplifier" in the bass instrument, then perhaps it needs a CC11 placed at the front of your bass midi track. Or it could be another controller, Check the manual to see what controllers if any, are used.

Tod,

I hadn't had any of the controllers assigned to anything.
I prefer loading Kontakt into each track, separately because I think there are more options...and because doing it any other way, is just confusing to me.

Anomalies continue...
I tried to record some CC11, and for some reason, it also recorded something in CC30 (I've never used CC30 for anything...so I don't know why there would be data there.

Another oddity is that when the order of the tracks in the mixing window is different from the tracks at the left side/top of the screen (those that are shown, vertically as opposed to the horizontal Mixing window.
Also...if there are 10 tracks, I would expect them to be numbered 1 to 10...however, they go from 1-12 because #4 and #6 don't exist.
Very odd.

And still...the FX buttons remain green (as they should) in the mixing panel -yet are gray in the vertical tracks (are these what you'd called, "TCP"?)

Will attaching the RPP file, be helpful?

Last edited by K8ch; 10-14-2017 at 05:23 PM.
K8ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:01 AM   #5
solger

Quote:
Also...if there are 10 tracks, I would expect them to be numbered 1 to 10...however, they go from 1-12 because #4 and #6 don't exist.
Very odd.
When you open View > Track Manager, are there any Tracks (#4 and #6) hidden?

Quote:
And still...the FX buttons remain green (as they should) in the mixing panel -yet are gray in the vertical tracks (are these what you'd called, "TCP")?
Yes. In your and Tod's screenshots: the Track panels on the left side (in the middle) are the TCPs (= Track Control Panels). And the panels in the Mixer at the bottom are the MCPs (= Mixer Control Panels):

- http://reaperblog.net/2012/10/reaper...control-panel/
- http://reaperblog.net/2013/01/reaper...control-panel/

Usually the button states of a Track should look and be the same in both the TCP and MCP. So my first guess would be that this might be some kind of bug ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8ch View Post
Will attaching the RPP file, be helpful?
Yeah, it would be helpful. So we can check if the behavior in the .RPP is the same on our system or if something might look out of the ordinary.
Otherwise it's quite difficult to guess if something specific (in your settings or project) might be causing the issue ...

Last edited by solger; 10-15-2017 at 03:41 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:11 AM   #6
K8ch

Your responses are-VERY- much appreciated.

After taking so much time ruminating about all this, I decided that it would be easier just to copy the tracks into a new project, and assign the instruments into the tracks.
It took about 10 minutes...and now, everything appears normal.
So, for the time being, it's a moot point.

But..if you'd like me to send it anyway -just as an academic excerciser, I'd be happy to send it.

I'm sorry I didn't realize that the "copy-paste-to start over" would only take a few minutes, or I would've done that sooner.

Ideally, I should've figured it out because, in the process, I'd learn a lot about Reaper...

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
I really do appreciate it.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:40 AM   #7
solger

Quote:
... I decided that it would be easier just to copy the tracks into a new project, and assign the instruments into the tracks.
It took about 10 minutes...and now, everything appears normal.
OK, great to hear that you got it working again this way

Quote:
But..if you'd like me to send it anyway -just as an academic excerciser, I'd be happy to send it.
Yeah, that would be great. Thanks.
Just the .RPP file should be enough (you don't need to include any Audio files).

I'm just curious to see if the 'FX button issue' is the same when opening your .RPP file here on my system ...

Last edited by solger; 10-15-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
Tod

Quote:
I'm sorry I didn't realize that the "copy-paste-to start over" would only take a few minutes, or I would've done that sooner.

Ideally, I should've figured it out because, in the process, I'd learn a lot about Reaper...
Don't feel bad, I had a similar situation a few days ago, where every time I selected a track in the Midi Editor track list, it would solo that track. I pulled my hair out for a few days, and then copy/pasted the project to a new project and it fixed the problem.

As it turned out, an option I never touch had inadvertently become unchecked. Heh heh, that can be embarrassing.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
K8ch

Okay...thanks for helping me realize I'm not an idiot!

Having said that... In the interest of full disclosure: Kontakt's routing is basically a mystery to me, so assigning an instance of Kontakt to each instrument, avoids having to deal with it about it.
I really should take the time to read more manuals and watch more tutorials.

Peace,

Keith
Old 10-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #10
jeranx

Hi Keith, yes you should. A pain in the... for a while,time to make it right, but then after, it's really ok and when you come in big project, you'll have less problem about CPU.

Each track is like a separate track. Where you can add any effect you want.

Her is a link if you want to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CzL_7NPysk

Bye
jeranx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Okay...thanks for helping me realize I'm not an idiot!

Having said that... In the interest of full disclosure: Kontakt's routing is basically a mystery to me, so assigning an instance of Kontakt to each instrument, avoids having to deal with it about it.
Check out the link in my signature, "Kontakt Outputs Vid", that explains how to set up the outputs in Konakt as well as in Reaper. There is one little part in the video that can be done differently, but I'd rather not confuse you by trying to explain it. So just follow the steps in the video for now. That is if you'd like to learn how to get the outputs setup.

EDIT: Also yeah, the link jeranx gave has more information and it's really good. But it won't hurt to check them both out, my video shows how to set up several outputs in Kontakt all at once.

Last edited by Tod; 10-15-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:20 PM   #12
jeranx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Check out the link in my signature, "Kontakt Outputs Vid", that explains how to set up the outputs in Konakt as well as in Reaper. There is one little part in the video that can be done differently, but I'd rather not confuse you by trying to explain it. So just follow the steps in the video for now. That is if you'd like to learn how to get the outputs setup.

EDIT: Also yeah, the link jeranx gave has more information and it's really good. But it won't hurt to check them both out, my video shows how to set up several outputs in Kontakt all at once.
Hi Tod. I didn't see it was in your signature. Maybe better to begin with. Bye
jeranx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #13
K8ch

Tod and Jeranx...

Thank you for the suggestions.
I will definitely check them out.
Kenny does fabulous tutorials, so I'm sure it'll be helpful.

I very much appreciate your responses!

Peace,

Keith
Old 10-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #14
DarkStar

Quote:

Peace,

Keith
And have a look at: Kontakt 4, SampleTank and ...: "starter" signal paths, schematics and templates