Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-13-2011, 01:37 AM   #81
Remixer
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Nah, ya don't owe me at all Mr S!

And after following the last set of instructions Remixer, I can now select in/outs 1-4 in Reaper, but now I have no sound at all....anywhere.....videos, mpg, .wav....nothing is playing back now!

**sigh**

I give for tonight, this is getting too much like setting everything up in Mepis, which is what I am trying to avoid ...

I will check back in tommorow to see if there are anything else posted.
What do you see in GNOME ALSA mixer?
PS. Hard to tune a machine with forum posts.
Remixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #82
Smurf

I am not quite sure what I am looking for in the Gnome Mixer? It has a zillon non-sense names thruout, a lot more than is neccesary...

It states ICE1712 multi-track as its card at the Top-Left. Above the 2 "master faders" on the Left it says "ICE958M"?

In the window at the bottom there is one boxed ticked, "Multi-Track Rate Reset". All the others are left alone.

All the controls are un-muted, all are turned up, both DAC and ADC, and still no sound...

And I FULLY understand about trying to work out problems over the net, it IS a pain! I do appreciate all the help!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #83
Smurf

OK, I was just out looking for some answers and found out that Harrison MixBus is available for Linux! (sorry. off topic, but that is pretty cool if ya like Ardour IMHO...)

So I grabbed one of the recommended distros, AV Linux & booted the Live DVD...and it does not allow me to use the Delta. It is doing the SAME THING as ReMix. I load up Mepis 8.5 & 11, everything is OK...??!

I then noticed that ReMix and AV Linux has something in common, the liquorix kernel....I wonder if it is that causing my problems?

I am off to locate some other audio Linux distros that use this kernel to see if this is it. I will also activate my built-in AC97 chip to see how this works with ReMix....

I really want this distro to succeed!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #84
Smurf

The built in VIA sound chip is found & can be accessed thru the WineASIO panel, but it is also not recording, but plays back fine.....the search continues...

**EDIT**
It just can not be this hard, only Mepis & Mint will allow me to access the inputs on the Delta, all the other ones I have tried tonight just will not let me. They will play back fine, but not record. And as a side note I have noticed on all the newer distros that the Volume Control only turns up & down the Right channel on the Delta, I have no control over the Left at all!

Strange.....

Last edited by Smurf; 05-13-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #85
Remixer

Smurf,

I gave the wrong instruction for you, sorry. Here is the right one for making all audioports available in Reaper.

1) Reinstall Remis_OS.

2) Type in terminal <sudo thunar>

3) Go to the </root> folder and create a file <.wineasiocfg>.

4) Right-click, choose "Open terminal here" and type <gedit ./.wineasiocfg> to open a file.. Paste the following to the file:

# Wineasio audio ports configuration file.

ASIO_INPUTS=6 /usr/local/reaper/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/REAPER/reaper.exe
ASIO_OUTPUTS=6 /usr/local/reaper/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/REAPER/reaper.exe
ASIO_INPORTNAME<n>
ASIO_OUTPORTNAME<n>
ASIO_INPORT<n>
ASIO_OUTPORT<n>
<clientname>

5) Save file.

It will give you 6 in/out ports in Reaper. You can specify less or more.

Then in Reaper's Options you can select the range of numbers of the card ports.

Hope it will work. If no, check the last post at that page - it can help: http://ardour.org/node/1198

Last edited by Remixer; 05-14-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #86
Smurf

We have ignition!

I followed the last set of instructions running the DVD Live and it worked like a charm. I have all 6 in/outs. I have full control of the card thru both the Envy24 and Gnome ALSA mixer panels. All controls & settings respond 100%

By setting the card the same as it is in windows I have...

44.1kHz 24bit WAV: 4/4ch 64 spls ~ 2.1/2.1ms ASIO

...according to the top right of the Reaper screen....the same as I have in windows.

I also did a quick drum loop/guitar/bass/so-called-vocal test, and this confirms that there is no delay when laying 4 tracks together or monitoring them.

The graphics are glitch free, crisp & clean looking. The screen scrolls smoothly.

Everything seems to be running as well as the windows version..I am a happy camper!

I do have a question...I started Jack up for the test & when I was checking out the Wine ASIO panel. I then shut everything down & just re-opened Reaper without starting Jack and everything came back up & working fine....is Jack starting automatically? In the Setup panel the Start with program box is not checked, so I was curious if it is needed when running programs under Wine or not...

A HUGE Thank You ReMixer for all your hard work, you have done the Reaper community a huge service IMHO! At this point in time the Beta is working great on my system using the Live DVD. I will re-install it later this eve and start testing VST-VSTi's in it.....it should be fun!

I think I need to order some swappable drive bays....
Old 05-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #87
Smurf

OK, here is where I am at.....I have re-installed ReMix & set it up like my windows setup. I have been able to use all 4 in/outs, and also swap them around in the Patch Bay.

Smart Loops, Beta Monkey, & Drums On Demand are streatching fine, tempo changes & snap to grid are fine, drag & drop are fine.

Tonight I have played thru the following Amp Sims with no problems...

FreeAmp 1.5, 2. & 3

Green Machine

Simulanalog

When trying to use Voxengo Boogex 1.5 to load IRs I am getting some phasing issues....I think it is between the Envy24 & Reaper because no matter what settings I use I can still hear the instrument faintly, even with all the controls in the Envy24/Gnome panel off.

Effects that I have tried & that worked....

Most all the classic series (the EQ will not function)

BootEQmkll

IQ4gui

LSHS Corrective EQ

PushTec

Sonimus SonEQ 1.1 (1.0 would not come up)

vfxFreeQueue 1.2

Ambience

Glaceverb

Mverb

Epic Verb

Bionic Delay 1.2

vfxFreeHaas 1.2

Audiocation Comp

Endorphin

All the TBT & Bootsie effects

The Fish Fillets

VNoPhones

HDPHX

And all the ReaPlugins come up.

I did NOT load these thru LinReaper, these were justthe .dll’s placed in a folder.

I tested these buy loading a 4 track project & started going to town. I can only get about a 3rd of the total plugins running as I can in windows, but I figure that is becasue of running under Wine.

Bottom line, it works a WHOLE lot better than I figured it would! I will play some more tomorrow with it & see what I can get adjusted.

Again, a huge Thank You Remixer for the effort, I can not wait until the Final comes out! LOL

PS - Is there a word processor that has a built-in Spell Check for Linux?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #88
Schprocket

Quote:
We have ignition!
I do have a question...I started Jack up for the test & when I was checking out the Wine ASIO panel. I then shut everything down & just re-opened Reaper without starting Jack and everything came back up & working fine....is Jack starting automatically? In the Setup panel the Start with program box is not checked, so I was curious if it is needed when running programs under Wine or not...
This was my experience also, Smurf.
I messed around with JACK first, trying to get audio in 'native' linux first instead of just booting up Reaper.

Once I'd followed Remixer's tip regarding sound hardware selection in Root JACK Control, I booted Reaper from... Multimedia (?)... (sorry, in OSX at the mo' so not sure) and it worked well, all bar not having the second audio outs available, which is a wineASIO config file edit (also posted earlier in this thread).

I noted that if you leave Root Jack open but not started, kick-start Reaper, then go back and have a look at the Root JACK panel, you'll see it's been kicked-off by Reaper.

Since the intent of this distro seems to be built around easy-as-possible operation of Reaper in Linux, there's probably some under-the-hood magic going on

Quote:
I think I need to order some swappable drive bays....
... or a decent BIOS on the mobo to select your boot drive of choice....
Schprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #89
Remixer

Quote:
Jack starts and stops automatically for Reaper. For other windows programs you don't need to start Jack if your audiocard works with alsa directly.

Last edited by Remixer; 05-14-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #90
Remixer

Quote:
PS - Is there a word processor that has a built-in Spell Check for Linux?
Abiword has. Just install aspell and aspell dictionary for the languages you want through Synaptic.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #91
Smurf

I have ordered Two Of These tonight, and will grab some SATA drives later. I have installed these at my sisters Church so the pastor & worship leader could take their files with them. After a year they are still going strong so $25 is a decent price. My BIOS would do the booting, but I already have 3 SATA, 2 IDE, and a burner in the case on a 600watt pwr supply, so I really don't want to load it down any more! LOL

And thanks for the info Remixer, I now have spell check!

Back to surfing....
Old 05-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #92
Smurf

OK, plugged in the KetRig49 using USB & got nothing....until I Enabled it (gets me every time!) All controls work fine. I played the Reaper synth, then started loading VSTi’s...

Oatmeal, Proteus VX, Alchemy would not show up tho it says they loaded.

Aethereal, Superwave P8, & Synth1 loaded up & took the extra banks no problem.

Again, I am pleasantly surprised by this, I never got this far just installing it over another Linux....I can see I will be playing most of tomorrow....
Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #93
Cybolic

Hey, where did this come from? Nice project!

I haven't tested it, but it looks nice. I'm slightly worried by the installation of Reaper/LinReaper as root due to the safety issues, but it definitely works.

I'd be happy if you mentioned that you are using LinReaper, nothing big and fancy, but at least listing it at http://www.remix-os.org/about.html would be nice.

Anyway, good luck with the project, and feel free to write me if you want some help with implementation details or LinReaper changes.
Cybolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #94
bennisixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybolic View Post

I haven't tested it, but it looks nice. I'm slightly worried by the installation of Reaper/LinReaper as root due to the safety issues, but it definitely works.

I'd be happy if you mentioned that you are using LinReaper, nothing big and fancy, but at least listing it at http://www.remix-os.org/about.html would be nice.

Anyway, good luck with the project, and feel free to write me if you want some help with implementation details or LinReaper changes.
Cybolic, thank you for linreaper.
bennisixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #95
Cybolic

bennisixx, you're welcome And let me extend that thank you to Remixer for helping it spread to more people
Old 05-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #96
Remixer

Quote:
Hi, Cybolic! Nice to see you here and thank you for your script - it saved a lot of time making the distro.

Quote:
I'm slightly worried by the installation of Reaper/LinReaper as root due to the safety issues, but it definitely works.
For a moment I see no correct way to install Reaper as user.

Quote:
Sure I will. Please, send me a message and let me know how do you want it to look like.

Quote:
Tnank you!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #97
Cybolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remixer View Post
Hi, Cybolic! Nice to see you here and thank you for your script - it saved a lot of time making the distro.
You're welcome

Quote:
For a moment I see no correct way to install Reaper as user.
I had originally planned to include this functionality in LinReaper, but figured it was too much trouble since most systems are single user anyway, but what I had planned was to install Reaper in either /usr/local (as you did) or /opt/reaper and then have the reaper.sh script check if $reaperinstalldir/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/$USER (and probably $reaperinstalldir/.wine/drive_c/users/$USER as well) was a symlink to $HOME/.config/reaper (or similar) and set it up if it wasn't.

That way, Reaper would be installed system wide, but user settings would still be separate and un-readable by other users.

Similar things could be done for the drive mapping (symlinking $reaperinstalldir/.wine/dosdevices to somewhere in $HOME and have a sensible default as well).

Quote:
Sure I will. Please, send me a message and let me know how do you want it to look like.
Ah, it's really up to you, but maybe Reaper as "Reaper (using LinReaper)" or similar would suit me fine
Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #98
Remixer

Quote:
I had originally planned to include this functionality in LinReaper, but figured it was too much trouble since most systems are single user anyway, but what I had planned was to install Reaper in either /usr/local (as you did) or /opt/reaper and then have the reaper.sh script check if $reaperinstalldir/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/$USER (and probably $reaperinstalldir/.wine/drive_c/users/$USER as well) was a symlink to $HOME/.config/reaper (or similar) and set it up if it wasn't.

That way, Reaper would be installed system wide, but user settings would still be separate and un-readable by other users.

Similar things could be done for the drive mapping (symlinking $reaperinstalldir/.wine/dosdevices to somewhere in $HOME and have a sensible default as well).
Smart idea!

Quote:
Ah, it's really up to you, but maybe Reaper as "Reaper (using LinReaper)" or similar would suit me fine
I can also put a link there, if you tell me wich one.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #99
Remixer

Default Remix_OS final release.

The Remix_OS-11.05 final release is available for downloading on the official site!
Old 05-20-2011, 03:25 AM   #100
Cybolic

Quote:
I can also put a link there, if you tell me wich one
I'm guessing the closest there is to a website for LinReaper is http://cybolic.wordpress.com/software-linreaper/ .
I saw that you updated the website, thanks And congratulations on the new release!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #101
bennisixx

Quote:
The Remix_OS-11.05 final release is available for downloading on the official site!
congratulations! DL it tonight.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #102
Remixer

Quote:
I'm guessing the closest there is to a website for LinReaper is http://cybolic.wordpress.com/software-linreaper/ .
I saw that you updated the website, thanks And congratulations on the new release!
Thank you!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #103
S.O.U.L

Quote:
Congrats !! I will DL it tonight !! But i hope that a 64 bits version will come soon
S.O.U.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #104
Boray

"Remix_OS is a free software. If you like it and find it useful, please consider making a donation."

I think you should change this statement, as all included software isn't free!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #105
Smurf

Grabbing it now!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #106
Remixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.U.L View Post
Congrats !! I will DL it tonight !! But i hope that a 64 bits version will come soon
Now it has a PAE kernel, so all your RAM will be at work.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #107
Remixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boray View Post
"Remix_OS is a free software. If you like it and find it useful, please consider making a donation."

I think you should change this statement, as all included software isn't free!
Thank you. I will think about it.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #108
S.O.U.L

Quote:
Now it has a PAE kernel, so all your RAM will be at work.
awesome !!
S.O.U.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #109
Schprocket

Quote:
Glad I checked back in - I was on the verge of installing the beta to HD this morning.

Cheers Remixer!

... and cheers also goes out to Cybolic for his contribution!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #110
bennisixx

Quote:
grrrr hugesnet download limits ....waiting...till...2...am arrggghhh

sorry had to vent. I cant wait.

btw I linked to your webpage in the footer of my webpage, I hope you don't mind. I think this needs to be known to all.

Last edited by bennisixx; 05-20-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #111
Smurf

Got it downloaded....still had to install manually. I'm getting the same "Could not make enough room for the partition, yada yada" line trying to let it set up dual boot with XP.

Overall it is running as good as the Beta, WITHOUT all the soundcard tweaking. I will write back as soon as I have had a chance to load stuff & do a few mixes!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #112
Schprocket

Arghhhhhh... the torrent stalled with about 80 Mb to go while I've been out and it's not restarting.

Just went the 'direct link' way and I have... ohhhh.... 21 hours... I'm not... that... patient....

Will try again in a few hours...
Old 05-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #113
Remixer

I've added a page to the Remix_OS site with tips for improving Reaper's GUI. You can find it the Support section.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:57 AM   #114
Schprocket

Default I think this is more user & hardware issues than a Reaper post, but...

Hi Remixer,

[edit]
I had a couple of linux-user issues, one with the install of an app, and the other looking for the bluetooth manager that I could have sworn was in the beta.

Anyway, I've scraped away some of the noob-rust I'd built-up and sorted these out myself.
[/edit]

Now one which I suspect may relate either to some module/driver-level linux thing for my hardware. Although the wineASIO config file does not have the channel "limitations" in the release version of Remix as the beta did, I'm still not getting audio from the Kore Controller's headphone output.

Record 2 in, playback two out. I can even set up more output channels, and Reaper even shows the four channels in the routing matrix but when I select channels 3&4 (as I would in Win or OSX in Reaper), I get nothing.

In JACK I get two entries for my USB hardware hw:2 and hw:2,0 and as yet I haven't been able to establish which is which. Any clues, suggestions here would be welcome

Last edited by Schprocket; 05-22-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #115
Remixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schprocket View Post
...is it a package (something like blueman) that I can install?
http://blueman-project.org/

Quote:
In JACK I get two entries for my USB hardware hw:2 and hw:2,0 and as yet I haven't been able to establish which is which. Any clues, suggestions here would be welcome
For a moment I can't test the distro with any multichannel card. Try different setups in Root Jack Ctl or try to find a solution searching the web.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #116
Schprocket

Quote:
oops... I'd left the edit window open whilst you were replying (please see previous post)

the bluetooth is in action as I type

actually this installation is one of the best examples of what makes linux great - if bluetooth wasn't already installed in an MS OS by default, it'd require a reboot before anything could happen.
The only reboot required for linux was for my brain...

Quote:
For a moment I can't test the distro with any multichannel card. Try different setups in Root Jack Ctl or try to find a solution searching the web.

No probs, mate, I'll report back when I find something... it is a linux + hardware-related issue, not the OS.
The only bugger is not having the cans selectable but I do have a few other hardware options for headphone monitoring (FW i/face and an on-board soundcard).

I know I should be able to do this as it's a matter of routing (in OSX I can create what's called an aggregate device which takes the pain out of the set-up), it's not knowing how to do this that's frustrating...

I've been busy adding a little weight to Remixer in the way of apps that I prefer to use cross-platform to save me rebooting into the other OSes - OpenOffice, Chrome (was a little twitchy at first), Transmission, and an Ardour-like audio app.

Are there any plans to add an English language section to the Remixer forum?
I tried to read a page using Google Translate but the literal translations were a little difficult to follow because the syntax is kind of messed up and when people speak 'everyday' language, it's even more messed up.
Mind you, some of the translations Google made were unintentionally quite funny in English...

Last edited by Schprocket; 05-22-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #117
bennisixx

ok so I am going to take my time customizing this now that it is final
few things for new install

FYI stuff that should be included
for FFADO

jackd-firewire

jack will not start without it

For NVIDIA folk..

X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver (experimental)

this enables multiple screens

as far as ati people I have no Idea but maby someone will chime in.

fantastic work . this is amazing.

anyone do this, set jack to open at app start up. and change sample rate.
Fire wire people need to select it in jack.

more later.
b

Last edited by bennisixx; 05-22-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #118
Schprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennisixx View Post
FYI stuff that should be included
for FFADO

jackd2-firewire

jack will not start without it
Cheers ben but went to use package manager and it complained about jackd2-firewire and said it wouldn't install it?

I notice there's jack, jack1, and jack2 server and client packages, the latter two being a different one to that installed in the distro.

Would there be hassles with what appears to be multiple JACK servers installed or are you running a separate server just for the firewire?

If so, can you make a pseudo sound device, i.e. many physical inputs from several sources, and physical outputs to same or others (like OSX's aggregate sound devices)?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #119
bennisixx

Quote:
Cheers ben but went to use package manager and it complained about jackd2-firewire and said it wouldn't install it?

I notice there's jack, jack1, and jack2 server and client packages, the latter two being a different one to that installed in the distro.

Would there be hassles with what appears to be multiple JACK servers installed or are you running a separate server just for the firewire?

If so, can you make a pseudo sound device, i.e. many physical inputs from several sources, and physical outputs to same or others (like OSX's aggregate sound devices)?
ok to hell with what I said.....
for some reason the final release wont remember major settings.
created links to vstis in differnt partition. works fine -reboot- wont work, I have to make new links
configured display in grandr-worked great-reboot-have to do it again
none of this was an issue in the beta, so I am not sure what was changed

Last edited by bennisixx; 05-22-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #120
bennisixx

ffado-mixer-qt4
this will install
ffado-dbus-server
ffado-tools

theese are also needed for firewire.
then you start the ffado mixer it finds your fw card and then you restart.

but then I have to reconfigure everything....any ideas?
after I set up the system it works great