Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
johny178
Human being with feelings

Default Useful content for music producers, audio and acoustic engineers, and DJs.

Hello to Reaper music producers, audio and acoustic engineers, DJs, and musicians. Today I would like to tell you about a wonderful project, in which I was honored to take part. Sorry for self-promotion but I guess it can be useful. It is a book, written by a team of professional music producers, sound engineers, and music teachers around the world, which contains all music production words, acoustics terms, all EDM genres, audio engineering terminology, recording vocabulary, DJ slang, and electronic music theory definitions. Ebook and print version are available. This is the second version of the book, which we launched just now. We added even more words (rare and unique) that we could only find, and now it contains 201 pages. The book is suitable both for beginners in the world of music creation and for more experienced producers and engineers. Here is a link to it, if anyone is interested. Thank you for attention.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Musician...=good+musician
johny178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
Reason

Serious questions:
- how is this useful?
- does it provide context for how the terms would be used? For example, explaining that the A in ADSR stands for "attack" is not as helpful as explaining that lower/quicker values might be good for lead tones, whereas higher/slower values might be good for pads.

If I'm new I'm going to google things I don't understand. Heck, if I'm experienced I would still google anything I might not understand.

I'm not taking the piss, I'm just genuinely curious why someone would spend $20 on this.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
johny178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
Serious questions:
- how is this useful?
- does it provide context for how the terms would be used? For example, explaining that the A in ADSR stands for "attack" is not as helpful as explaining that lower/quicker values might be good for lead tones, whereas higher/slower values might be good for pads.

If I'm new I'm going to google things I don't understand. Heck, if I'm experienced I would still google anything I might not understand.

I'm not taking the piss, I'm just genuinely curious why someone would spend $20 on this.
Hi! $20 is for print version. You buy a book, it is the price for print book. 3.99 the cost of ebook.
I guess it helpful first of all in that its the biggest production and enginnering glossary. If you new and go to google - how can you be shure, that term you seach for will be relative to music production, and not to other aspects of music, etc.
If you a pro, maybe you just want to put this music production dictionary on your bookshelf. Is it so bad for pros to buy such books?

Last edited by johny178; 09-11-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny178 View Post
Is it so bad for pros to buy such books?
yooo if i went to the dentist and saw "a glossary of dental terms" on the shelf before getting a root canal, i'd probably run for my life. just a joke and i hope your book does well for those who need it.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
johny178

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
yooo if i went to the dentist and saw "a glossary of dental terms" on the shelf before getting a root canal, i'd probably run for my life. just a joke and i hope your book does well for those who need it.
)))
Thanks)
Old 09-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
BigFella

Quote:
..which contains all music production words, acoustics terms, all EDM genres, audio engineering terminology, recording vocabulary, DJ slang, and electronic music theory definitions
There is a bit of a cart vs horse primacy issue here in that - if I don't know the subject then the definitions will be meaningless without understanding of the topic, but if I know the topic then I will be familiar with the language.

No?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #7
karbomusic

Thinking of beginners, its still nice to have a glossary of terms handy to aid in getting over that hump - especially from one resource and organized. I'm all for Googling stuff but that can be as much harm as help, once you start dealing with multiple resources and opinions, myths and what not... Not to mention not knowing what to type in, meaning one can browse a glossary and learn terms they didn't know existed.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #8
johny178

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Thinking of beginners, its still nice to have a glossary of terms handy to aid in getting over that hump - especially from one resource and organized. I'm all for Googling stuff but that can be as much harm as help, once you start dealing with multiple resources and opinions, myths and what not... Not to mention not knowing what to type in, meaning one can browse a glossary and learn terms they didn't know existed.
Thank you for feedback.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
johny178

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFella View Post
There is a bit of a cart vs horse primacy issue here in that - if I don't know the subject then the definitions will be meaningless without understanding of the topic, but if I know the topic then I will be familiar with the language.

No?
Hi! Why it is useful for beginners already written karbomusic, and I completely agree with him. About the pros. Just for example: I have a friend, a professional musician, graduated Yale School of Music. He perfectly knows all these terms from classical music and musical theory, but he always buys a lot of dictionaries, books, etc. in the hope that he will find in them at least 5-10% of what he did not know before and become better, as a musician.
I will not say that this book is better than others, better than free sites, etc. And I will not try to persuade you to buy it.
I'm just saying that there is such book, on which we worked, and I can say with confidence that this is one of the biggest(and maybe the biggest) production glossary, in terms of the number of words. Of course, each of these definitions is written in a short form (just to understand what it is), and if you go to Google, you can learn more about each of them. But from the dictionary (which is this book is) is not required to write each word as from Wikipedia. This is a DICTIONARY. So, I guess it's all I can say)
Old 09-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #10
xpander

I'm interested in how would you compare this to eg. AES Pro Audio Reference (formerly Rane Pro Audio Reference)?
http://www.aes.org/par/

In print that was over 400 page pro audio reference. From the descriptions it sounds like Good Musician might be something similar but more current and EDM related?

Last edited by xpander; 09-11-2017 at 03:24 PM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:15 AM   #11
johny178

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
I'm interested in how would you compare this to eg. AES Pro Audio Reference (formerly Rane Pro Audio Reference)?
http://www.aes.org/par/

In print that was over 400 page pro audio reference. From the descriptions it sounds like Good Musician might be something similar but more current and EDM related?
"A2IM (American Association of Independent Music) "... serves the Independent music community as a unified voice representing a broad coalition of music labels ... ."

AAAF (American Academy of Audiology Foundation) Their mission: "To promote philanthropy in support of research, education, and public awareness in audiology and hearing science." [From website.]

Academy of Ancient Music See: AAM.

cans See headphones.

cantor See: kantor.

CCIR ARM See weighting filters.

CCIR-468 See weighting filters.

CCIR 2 kHz See weighting filters."

And so on...
It has more than 50% useless words, that doesn't mean anything. Yes, no doubt in audio engineering this is a cool glossary, but more than a half of it - useless. You can open a preview of our book, and see the table of content (but only 70% of it, the rest did not fit in the preview) and compare our words with that glossary.
When I said that we have one of the biggest (and maybe the biggest) production glossary, in terms of the number of words, I meant exactly WORDS, not unnecessary abbreviations and repetitions. + Our book specialized more on producers, and this glossary for AE.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:42 AM   #12
zeekat

Is there a possibility to set the preview to show some other part of the book than just the table of contents? It tells nothing about how the book is written at all.

To be honest, the "I have been producing electronic music for more than five years" and pointing to some sekrit kabal of producers hidden under a gmail account doesn't suggest particularly enticing professional cred. Altough of course some newcomers are obviously enormously talented and skilled.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:54 AM   #13
johny178

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Is there a possibility to set the preview to show some other part of the book than just the table of contents? It tells nothing about how the book is written at all.

To be honest, the "I have been producing electronic music for more than five years" and pointing to some sekrit kabal of producers hidden under a gmail account doesn't suggest particularly enticing professional cred. Altough of course some newcomers are obviously enormously talented and skilled.
Hi! I guess no, because Amazon is very strict to free distrinution of content.
I did not say that our 15 people is Armin, Alphex, Deadmau, James Horner and Hans Zimmer. We just a group of noname friends, who did not see the need to write their 15 names as authors.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:02 AM   #14
johny178

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post

Also, not always a professional and useful content are synonyms. I bought deadmaus masterclass for 90 $ and did not know shit. 23 video lessons about basics producing things for beginners, and no MASTERCLASS in this masterclass.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:10 AM   #15
BigFella

Quote:
We just a group of noname friends.
Yet here you are writing a technical glossary.

Such confidence.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:42 AM   #16
DrKev

"noname friends" spamming a dictionary.

I'm a mod on another forum. When somebody signs up to post purely to plug their own project we delete and ban.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:21 AM   #17
johny178

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
"noname friends" spamming a dictionary.

I'm a mod on another forum. When somebody signs up to post purely to plug their own project we delete and ban.
Okay, I think that forum is created in order to share something useful. I'm not writing- yo, check my beats, or my Soundcloud. I go on a forum and post something useful for some kind of producers and engineers, or you think that my fault is that I am involved in its creation, or that I don't have a year to spend on one forum, post 1000 answers and questions and only after that publicate something useful?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:22 AM   #18
johny178

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFella View Post
Yet here you are writing a technical glossary.

Such confidence.

I did not know that first you need to become world famous to create something. I'm sorry, my fault.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:48 AM   #19
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I did not know that first you need to become world famous to create something. I'm sorry, my fault.
No fault here-just some trolls? needin feedin?
I think any book will have a variance from any other- some subjects are highly specialized and there sometimes is very little relevant references for them-so when they come along people will enjoy if given a 'chance' i'm sure-- no info is bad info,it can be used for good or ill intentions/purposes.
Best wishes with your projects nonamer- we are all nobodies,just some think they are somebodies-- this is an altering of their truer identities!.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:38 AM   #20
DrKev

Quote:
Okay, I think that forum is created in order to share something useful.
This forum is for REAPER DAW users to share REAPER information. You are not adding to the REAPER forum community or knowledgebase in any way. You only signed up to sell us your dictionary. That is spam.

Quote:
I'm not writing- yo, check my beats, or my Soundcloud.
Yo, buy my book.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:45 AM   #21
martifingers

"I guess it helpful first of all in that its the biggest production and enginnering glossary."
I know this was just a forum post but this sentence is not a good example of clear and correct English. I trust the actual book was properly proof read.

As a matter of interest how did you decide on the scope and content? I notice in the table of contents that "Semitone" and "microtone" are included not, for instance "scale" or "mode". I appreciate that it is probably not intended to cover all music theory but it might be helpful to know where the boundaries were drawn.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #22
BigFella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
-just some trolls? needin feedin?
I wouldn't claim to be an expert but plenty of folks have been glad of my (free) advice based on experience. Your characterisation of me as a troll is incorrect, perhaps dictionaries have their uses.

Quote:
-- no info is bad info...
Are you sure?

Quote:
,just some think they are somebodies-- this is an altering of their truer identities!.
What on Earth does that mean?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #23
johny178

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
"I guess it helpful first of all in that its the biggest production and enginnering glossary."
I know this was just a forum post but this sentence is not a good example of clear and correct English. I trust the actual book was properly proof read.

As a matter of interest how did you decide on the scope and content? I notice in the table of contents that "Semitone" and "microtone" are included not, for instance "scale" or "mode". I appreciate that it is probably not intended to cover all music theory but it might be helpful to know where the boundaries were drawn.
Sorry, but English is not my native language, but the book is written correctly, and verified by native speakers.

The boundaries were drawn by my friend, specializing in music theory. He said which words are most important, and which are not.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #24
johny178

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
This forum is for REAPER DAW users to share REAPER information. You are not adding to the REAPER forum community or knowledgebase in any way. You only signed up to sell us your dictionary. That is spam.

Yo, buy my book.
Okay, lets see the REAPER General Discussion Forum:
1) I'm a noob! Midi device problems
2) Best way to remove vocals (very professional and REAPER related problem!)
3) Andrew Scheps Mixing Template
4) Need Advice on Recording Guitars in The Style of Jerry Cantrell (Alice In Chains)
5) R.I.P. Don Williams

And this is only first 5 pages
Damn, you should ban them all, their publications are not related to Reaper!

"Yo, buy my book" - show me where I wrote "buy my book", or "Please leave a review, please tell your friends". It says - "Here is a link to it, IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED. Thank you for attention."

Last edited by johny178; 09-12-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #25
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I wouldn't claim to be an expert but plenty of folks have been glad of my (free) advice based on experience. Your characterisation of me as a troll is incorrect, perhaps dictionaries have their uses.
Lol-"Ohhh here we go on the quote boat"--- is a somebody taking a nothing personally?
M8,let's all ask ourselves 2 honest questions,but 1st we remove 3 things-- your name,your job (work/study/practice) and your address--now-- Who am i? what am i?

Quote:
Are you sure?
Quite.How can 1 see or know the light,if they do not see or have the dark to contrast?
Information is just another form of energy that gets decoded by our senses-get realer BigFella?

Quote:
What on Earth does that mean?
Well,look at it 1 way-we are not of the earth-we just inhabit it,but on many levels of manifestation,in parallel.
We are all but points of awareness-lets celebrate that eh.

It appears some are critizing-before turning a page,even virtually?
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #26
BigFella

I'm out.