Old 11-01-2018, 04:06 AM   #1
kgbeat
Human being with feelings

Default Kontrol A49 Keyboard and Reaper

This question was asked back in 2014 but I guess things have changes since then and so I ask: Does the Komplete Kontrol A49 midi controller keyboard work well with Reaper?

Thanks
kgbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
RobertP

I believe the 'A' series wasn't around in 2014, it's relatively recent.
Did you mean the 'S' series (first generation)?
Old 11-01-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
kgbeat

Default Kontrol A49 and Reaper

I'm really only interested in knowing whether the latest version of the A49 will work well with the latest Reaper....

Thanks
Old 11-22-2018, 12:02 AM   #4
Aymara

The transport of the old S-Series Mk1 keyboards works like a charm by configuring a Mackie MCU device for transport (Kontrol-S DAW driver).

On the new S-Series Mk2 keyboards this is no longer supported, because transport uses OSC now. Regarding NI forum, they will start working on a solution in first quarter of 2019, because in many other DAWs like e.g. Studio One the transport also doesn‘t work.

So far I didn‘t get an answer in NI forum, if the new A-Series also use OSC or still support the Mackie approach.

Maybe ask NI support, if the A-Series behaves like the Mk1 or Mk2 of the S-Series.

PS: For Reaper a workaround is available:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1988209

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:31 PM   #5
unsound

Paragraph from a Sound on Sound review of the A49, which I have been looking into myself.

Live arguably gets the best integration, supporting the S–Series directly via a remote script. In Logic, Cubase and Nuendo you get all the advanced features via Mackie Control support. This works great, but will likely be problematic if you have another MCU–based controller attached. Most other DAWs will get transport control only, again via the MCU protocol. This rather leaves Pro Tools out of the party, as it only supports HUI and Hypercontrol.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:37 PM   #6
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsound View Post
In Logic, Cubase and Nuendo you get all the advanced features via Mackie Control support. This works great, but will likely be problematic if you have another MCU–based controller attached.
So it seems, the A-Series behaves like the S-Series Mk1. I see no problem though in using MCU, because I didn‘t have no problem combining my old Mk1 with Binder/Lemur in Reaper ... both transport controls worked.

The incompatibility issues of using OSC on the Mk2 are obviously worse.

Chris
Old 12-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
kgbeat

Default Kontrol A49 and Reaper

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
FlagratAgogo

Default A series and drivenbymoss

Hi. Newbie to the forum here.
Been tearing hair out trying to get the drivenbymoss work around to work with my komplete kontrol and reaper but to no avail. I think I have installed correctly as I can access the controller options in reaper preferences.

Does it actually work with the A series or is just the S MK1 and 2?

Any help greatly appreciated!
FlagratAgogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagratAgogo View Post
Does it actually work with the A series or is just the S MK1 and 2?
As far as I understood, the A-Series behaves like the S-Series Mk1 and needs a Mackie device configured for the transport to work. The Moss solution is for the S Mk2, which needs OSC for the transport to work.

PS: Check out, if the Mk1 solution works for the A too:

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...reaper.230816/

Chris
Old 01-06-2019, 06:07 AM   #10
FlagratAgogo

Thanks Aymara. Tried the Mackie universal route but still nothing. Kk stays in midi mode and does nothing.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #11
Aymara

The A-Series transport definitely works different than the Kontrol-S Mk1, when I read this discussion in the NI forum:

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...cubase.338669/

Chris
Old 01-06-2019, 11:11 PM   #12
FlagratAgogo

Thanks for the link. After trying a few things out and reading up on this issue I think I will just wait for an update or something.

The A49 is a great keyboard even without DAW control/integration. But this would make it awesome. 😉
Old 01-06-2019, 11:26 PM   #13
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagratAgogo View Post
The A49 is a great keyboard even without DAW control/integration. But this would make it awesome.
I have the old S49 Mk1 and experimented with the Binder template in Lemur (iPad app) to remote control Reaper. But lately I saw a thread here in the forum, that it is nowadays much easier to remote control Reaper by using it‘s web service ... works with any phone or tablet, no matter if iOS or Android.

Such approaches are much more powerful, because they go beyond just transport control. With Lemur for example you can also remote control synths.

Maybe use that (Lemur or web service), because I fear, NI will never support Reaper or Studio One, which I use too.

For S1 I bought a Presonus Atom, which also has transport control and much more to speed up the workflow. But for Reaper another pad controller might be a better choice.

I would recommend starting with Reaper‘s web service and placing your phone on the keyboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S04dRkvgZqA

Chris

Last edited by Aymara; 01-06-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #14
FlagratAgogo

Wow. That might work for me on my android tablet or phone. Although I have generally veered away from including mobile devices in my set up I will definitely give this a try and report back.

Funny thing I really thought ni and their hardware were perfected products given their emphasis on the functionality and workflow aspects. I have had a few Nektar controllers which handled reaper transport with ease, although no deep interaction with vst instruments.

I would settle for being able to map/learn kk transport in midi. Is this possible at all?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #15
Aymara

Mobile devices can be very helpful ... I love to remote control my DAW for example, when recording guitar ... much less hassle, than a cabled solution.

Chris
Old 03-07-2019, 06:04 AM   #16
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post

Maybe use that (Lemur or web service), because I fear, NI will never support Reaper or Studio One, which I use too.

For S1 I bought a Presonus Atom, which also has transport control and much more to speed up the workflow. But for Reaper another pad controller might be a better choice.
Bummer. I want a keyboard that just works out of the box with no workarounds (and I don't have a smartphone).

How about M-Audio or Alesis? Any experiences?
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:20 AM   #17
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
How about M-Audio or Alesis?
Forget it

Here‘s an old discussion about alternatives to NI Kontrol-S keyboards:

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...nce-49.269983/

It seems the Akai Advance is worth a look.

Chris
Old 03-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #18
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
Forget it

Here‘s an old discussion about alternatives to NI Kontrol-S keyboards:

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...nce-49.269983/

It seems the Akai Advance is worth a look.
Thanks. I admit the KK seems to fit the bill. I have no experience whatsoever with keyboards and controllers but I assume I can learn.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #19
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
I have no experience whatsoever with keyboards and controllers but I assume I can learn.
It all depends on what you want and need. If you for example are mainly interested in classic synths, the Arturia keyboards plus VSTi synths (e.g. V-Collection or just Analog Lab) are also pretty tempting.

But for deep integration with a wide variety of instruments like pianos, drums, horns, etc., I fear, that NI and Akai are the only tempting options.

Chris
Old 03-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #20
bjohn

Just to be clear, you can use the KK S-series keyboards with Reaper (I do it every day), but just as a MIDI keyboard, not a controller -- in other words Reaper recognizes it as a MIDI device and you can use it to play music, but you still need to interact with Reaper using a computer keyboard and mouse. I haven't attempted to set up the drivenbymoss integration as I don't really need a controller but it's nice to know it's there as an option.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:25 AM   #21
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
Just to be clear, you can use the KK S-series keyboards with Reaper (I do it every day), but just as a MIDI keyboard, not a controller ...
The Mk1 has all features in Reaper, far beyond being just a MIDI keyboard. And the Mk2 should have the same functionality just without a working transport, because MCU is no longer supported.

But as you said, the MOSS solution should solve that too. There's a separate thread about that here in the forum.

Chris
Old 02-01-2021, 12:11 AM   #22
Bogman

Default Reaper / A 49

Hi all, I'll post my (absolute beginner) issues here which are based on a recently aquired A49 Kontrol and Reaper in evalutation mode. Windows 10. I use Reaper with my Behringer X32 and will more than likely purchase it. I don't want to use the A49 as a standalone. I've installed everything so far and I just once was able to play the Piano in The Gentleman. I have then lost that setting since. I presume what I need are the Midi Device settings (in/out), the Reaper preferences and the Kontrol settings. I don't know if my X32 Midi settings have any bearing on the setup? The dll64 is set up. Any help would be appreciated, cheers,
Bogman is offline   Reply With Quote