Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
PauloMattos
Human being with feelings

Default rHow to get reaper playback fom monitors instead of Focusrite 2i2?

Okay, the title may not be the best but here is the situation:

- I have Asio4All installed properly.
- Im using an Akai LPK25 as a MIDI controller.
- I own a Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen, which I understand is, among other things, supposed to deal with the latency that might arise from the use of a MIDI controller.
- I have recently acquired audio monitors (not headphones).

So, what I want to do is have Reaper use the Focusrite instead of Asio4All to deal with the latency from the MIDI controller, while having the sound come out from my monitors. Is this possible? Or did I just understand something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
PauloMattos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #2
foxAsteria

I'm sorry, but why did you install ASIO4All, instead of the driver made for your device? Get rid of it unless you enjoy the extra latency and problems.

Uninstall ASIO4All. Install the appropriate Focusrite ASIO driver for your device and OS. Choose the device in Reaper preferences/audio/device (Audio system: ASIO, ASIO driver: Focusrite 2i2) Plug the monitors into the outputs of the Scarlett and you should be just fine.

Btw, I notice a lot of newcomers installing ASIO4All for no apparent reason. Who's providing this bad advice?

If you run into trouble, this basic setup stuff is covered pretty well in the User Guide.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:04 AM   #3
solger

As foxAsteria mentioned above, install the dedicated Focusrite USB ASIO Driver for the 2i2 2nd gen first: https://customer.focusrite.com/downl...t=Scarlett+2i2

Then follow the setup guide here: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...er-setup-guide
Old 10-19-2018, 12:51 AM   #4
Not_Here

For the record. I use a 2i2 running a set of powered Monitors with the ASIO driver from Focusrite.

It works beautifully.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #5
PauloMattos

Thank you all so much for all the replies! I don't quite remember where I picked up that ASIO was a must-have but Im glad to know It was wrong haha! About the speakers I suppose I will have to buy an adapter plug p2-p10 so as to connect it to the focusrite.
PauloMattos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Jessinator

As far as the proper adapter to hook the 2i2 up to your monitors that depends on what's on the back of your monitors. My guess is that your monitors probably have balanced 1/4" TRS inputs and I know that the 2i2 has balanced 1/4" TRS outputs so I'd buy some 1/4" TRS cables. Make sure you don't accidentally buy 1/4" TS cables (a.k.a. guitar cables) because then you won't be sending a balanced signal from your interface to your speakers and the connection could pick up a "buzzing" type sound along the way.

Also, you said "I picked up that ASIO was a must-have"... ASIO *IS* a must have, not ASIO4ALL. ASIO4ALL is a generic ASIO driver that you can use to hack your built-in audio hardware to use ASIO, but now that you've bought a legit ASIO interface you no longer need to fool around with ASIO4ALL because you can install Focusrite's top-notch ASIO drivers rather than crossing your fingers and hoping that ASIO4ALL can use its trickery to get your built-in audio hardware to use ASIO.
Jessinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauloMattos View Post
Thank you all so much for all the replies! I don't quite remember where I picked up that ASIO was a must-have but Im glad to know It was wrong haha! About the speakers I suppose I will have to buy an adapter plug p2-p10 so as to connect it to the focusrite.
ASIO kind of still is a "must-have" for low latency recording (at least on Windows, AFAIK) Some report better performance with WASAPI, but ASIO is still the standard for audio device drivers. That said, ASIO4All is just a generic ASIO driver and is only recommended if your device manufacturer does not provide its own ASIO driver.

As far as the monitors go, I personally have never seen a pair without 1/4" inputs, which is what your Focusrite is outputting to, so you should not need any adapters. What monitors do you have?
Old 10-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #8
Not_Here

With the availability of cables now days, you will easily find a professionally manufactured cable with whatever connector (at either end) you may need.
No need to use little plug together adaptors. I personally have a very nice set with 1/4 TS (outs on back of 2i2)on one end and RCA (input on back of iLouds) on the other. I would have also thought unwanted noise would show up. So far no buzz or 60hz interference through monitors. Everything is properly grounded and on its own circuit too.