Old 03-21-2023, 08:05 AM   #1
triviul
Human being with feelings

Default Theme-sharing issue...

Hi Folks,

I've tried to work this out for myself, but after a good couple of hours wading through the stickies and experimenting with a fresh install of Reaper, I'm none the wiser how to proceed...

As many of you may know, I've been using Reaper for about 15 years to teach people about mixing, and during that time I've created a customised Theme for Reaper that appears in all my instructional videos. It's based on the old v4 look, with some WALTER customsations I did years and years ago, and I like its simple and well-contrasted look. Well, it turns out quite a few other people like it too, because I keep getting requests for my Theme file -- which I'm more than happy to provide.

However, the most recent person I sent my Theme to said that it didn't work properly. Initially it was my mistake as I'd sent him just the ReaperTheme file without the resources folder, but even once I'd figured that out, I couldn't get it to transfer properly when I tested it with a fresh install of Reaper on a different machine.

I then tried a Configuration export from the preferences window, with just the Color Themes export option checked. Importing that into the fresh install didn't work properly either. It was only when I also exported Configuration in that same export dialogue that I managed to get it to work. It seems like a kludge, though, and I wondered if any of you immediately recognised the problem and could point me in the direction of somewhere that will tell me how to export my Theme in the usual way as a ReaperThemeZip file. (Obviously, I'd also be happy to load the Theme into the Stash too, in case anyone here wants to use it.)

Hope that makes sense -- and thanks in advance!
triviul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 08:32 AM   #2
Rednroll

It's pretty simple, just follow these steps.

I suggest a sanity check 1st. While running your theme in Reaper, run the theme tweaker script. At the bottom of the window, it shows the location of your theme image/resource folder.

1. Grab your theme resource folder. I suggest copying it to a clean folder.
2. Grab your theme's *.ReaperTheme configuration file. While in the theme tweak window, I would suggest clicking on the "SAVE THEME" button and saving a copy to the same folder you copied the theme resource folder to. Not inside the resource folder but in the same directory as the resource folder.
3. Now you should have both parts you need in a single folder by themselves if you followed my suggestions as described.
4. ZIP the resource folder and the *.ReaperTheme file into the same zip archive (I suggest using 7-zip to do this).
5. You should now have a MY_THEME_NAME.ZIP single zip file.
6. Rename that file including changing its .zip file extension to MY_THEME_NAME.ReaperThemeZip

Drag and drop that file into Reaper while it is launched as a sanity check to confirm everything works and it loads in Reaper and shows up as an additional Reaper theme selection menu item.

If all went well, then send that single MY_THEME_NAME.ReaperThemeZip file to your students and tell them to just drag and drop that file onto Reaper when it is running. Reaper will do the rest for them.

If it still doesn't work for them. Fail that student for not following instructions since you already verified it works.

If you would like an additional sanity check, then upload your MY_THEME_NAME.ReaperThemeZip file and provide a link for download on this forum and one of us can download it and additionally confirm if it works or not and explain to you what is wrong if it doesn't.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-21-2023 at 08:48 AM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:50 AM   #3
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Check your PMs squire
Old 03-21-2023, 11:16 AM   #4
triviul

Hi Rednroll,

Thanks for the kind advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
If you would like an additional sanity check, then upload your MY_THEME_NAME.ReaperThemeZip file and provide a link for download on this forum and one of us can download it and additionally confirm if it works or not and explain to you what is wrong if it doesn't.
I just went through those stages, and unfortunately still don't seem to be getting the right appearance when I reimport that theme into a fresh REAPER install. Here's a link to a ZIP with the ReaperThemeZip file as well as a screenshot of how I'm expecting the Arrange View tracks to look:
https://downloads.cambridge-mt.com/T...Screenshot.zip

I have a feeling that it might have something to do with the WALTER customisations not transferring, but I'm not sure.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:22 PM   #5
sguyader

It seems to work here, I get the same as in your screenshot, but I have to choose the correct TCP layout ("MikeLayout01").
By the way, you "Vertical" TCP layout is really cool, I don't remember having seen such a layout before.
sguyader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:44 PM   #6
triviul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguyader View Post
It seems to work here, I get the same as in your screenshot, but I have to choose the correct TCP layout ("MikeLayout01").
By the way, you "Vertical" TCP layout is really cool, I don't remember having seen such a layout before.
Hah! That's the cookie! I figured it might be something daft I was doing! :facepalm:

Thanks again for the troubleshooting!

Mike S.