Old 02-22-2023, 05:26 AM   #441
Judders
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@PitchSlap
That is the best compliment about ReaLinks I can have

@Judders

This is not how it works. Naming is fixed.

https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/walter/images.php#images

This is what theme assembler do, and they are several others. See post on realink lined above.
I've seen some V4 themes with different element names, I'm sure. Am I mistaken? Are the images always named exactly the same?

Realinks gives me a warning in chrome. Expired certificate? Anyway, how do you get White Tie's Theme Assembler to modify a user theme?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 06:38 AM   #442
X-Raym

@Judders
Oops indeed the link was wrong. corrected.

Quote:
Are the images always named exactly the same?
Yes, absolutely no way to change that, as you can see in the doc, expected names are predefined.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 06:45 AM   #443
Judders

Quote:
@Judders

Yes, absolutely no way to change that, as you can see in the doc, expected names are predefined.
That's weird, I'm sure I had to change a couple of names when bringing in images from API V4... I must have misremembered.
Old 02-22-2023, 06:48 AM   #444
Judders

Quote:
@Judders
I'm not seeing what's related to using White Tie's Theme Assembler on user themes.
Old 02-22-2023, 07:45 AM   #445
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

The script just does a few simple things: it copies images from one place to another, it can change a few numbers in the rtconfig, and it can reorder some lines in the rtconfig. It could absolutely, with very few alterations, do this to absolutely any theme ...and by doing so completely bugger up that theme beyond all recognition! So obviously that's realistically a no

The vast majority of this is just a delivery system for the huge pile of images I made. You can still copy them manually, just like with any other theme, though whether they look correct or a total mess will depend on whether the images are set the same way in that other theme, which big picture is about the same thing as saying that it has to be this theme.
Old 02-22-2023, 07:47 AM   #446
X-Raym

@judders
Absolutely none cause it was not what I was answering. it was an answer to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by judders
I doubt it would be possible to write a script

the article shows several scripts made just for that.

I dont know about WT Assembler compatibility on user theme, but we have a 12 page long thread in which the answer probably lies (or maybe WT will answer)
Old 02-22-2023, 08:36 AM   #447
Judders

Quote:
@juddersthe article shows several scripts made just for that.

I dont know about WT Assembler compatibility on user theme, but we have a 12 page long thread in which the answer probably lies (or maybe WT will answer)
I'm a bit confused... the article is about this theme assembler and doesn't mention any other scripts that replace graphical elements.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:37 AM   #448
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I'm a bit confused... the article is about this theme assembler and doesn't mention any scripts that replace graphical elements.
WT theme assembler is THE script!
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:42 AM   #449
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
WT theme assembler is THE script!
This is going in circles!

WT script does not do anything to user themes. It has it's own base that it works from.

X-Raym said there were other scripts that did allow swapping and changing of user themes, then linked to an article about one that doesn't...

Like I said, I'm confused.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:45 AM   #450
vitalker

Quote:
WT script does not do anything to user themes. It has it's own base that it works from.

X-Raym said there were other scripts that did allow swapping and changing of user themes, then linked to an article about one that doesn't...
Okay, sorry.

The link please? I see only a link to WALTER documentation:
Old 02-22-2023, 08:55 AM   #451
Judders

Quote:
Okay, sorry.

The link please? I see only a link to WALTER documentation:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=437
Old 02-22-2023, 09:03 AM   #452
vitalker

Quote:
So? X-Raym published a post about this script on that site.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:21 AM   #453
Judders

Quote:
So? X-Raym published a post about this script on that site.
Have you read this thread?

Pitchslap said he wished this theme assembler could modify existing themes. X-Raym said that's what theme assemblers do, and there are several of them.

I'm not aware of any scripts that allow you to swap graphical elements of any theme, and X-Raym just linked to an article about this script, which doesn't do that.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:24 AM   #454
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

What's the row chaps? X-Raym correctly says the default v6 theme adjuster (not this script, the theme assembler, how could anyone confuse those two names? ) can indeed be used on any theme, if that theme generates parameters. See here.

Thanks for this X-Raym, FWIW I don't really agree the themer's guide is outdated, it didn't cover everything even when it was written and very little has been added to WALTER since. As a guide rather than documentation its always suffered from already being so long that people don't read it they just dip in, and from people mistaking it for a guide to all of Reaper theming rather than just v4 transition WALTER.

I think we're always going to have a gap between the complexity of theming people are going to want to mess with, and that requiring more effort and learning than most sane people will be willing to commit to it. So while this doesn't solve that at all, it provides a sort-of half way situation where you can do a lot more with zero learning. More stuff like that seems like a good idea.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:33 AM   #455
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
What's the row chaps? X-Raym correctly says the default v6 theme adjuster (not this script, the theme assembler, how could anyone confuse those two names? ) can indeed be used on any theme, if that theme generates parameters. See here.

Thanks for this X-Raym, FWIW I don't really agree the themer's guide is outdated, it didn't cover everything even when it was written and very little has been added to WALTER since. As a guide rather than documentation its always suffered from already being so long that people don't read it they just dip in, and from people mistaking it for a guide to all of Reaper theming rather than just v4 transition WALTER.

I think we're always going to have a gap between the complexity of theming people are going to want to mess with, and that requiring more effort and learning than most sane people will be willing to commit to it. So while this doesn't solve that at all, it provides a sort-of half way situation where you can do a lot more with zero learning. More stuff like that seems like a good idea.
There's no row, I'm just hugely spun out because everyone keeps saying the theme assembler can modify any user theme. X-Raym explicitly said that's what theme assemblers do. He knows more about scripts than I have hair follicles, so if this is true I want to know...

I not angry at anyone, I just want to know the score!

EDIT: it all started with Pitchslap saying they wished the Assembler worked on other themes. I said it didn't, X-Raym said it did and there are others. Are there others? Because this one doesn't!
Old 02-22-2023, 09:36 AM   #456
vitalker

Quote:
There's no row, I'm just hugely spun out because everyone keeps saying the theme assembler can modify any user theme. X-Raym explicitly said that's what theme assemblers do. He knows more about scripts than I have hair follicles, so if this is true I want to know...

I not angry at anyone, I just want to know the score!
This script can modify only default 6 theme. I don't know what X-Raym said you, but this script COULD modify any theme and WT already responded to that.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:43 AM   #457
Judders

Quote:
This script can modify only default 6 theme. I don't know what X-Raym said you, but this script COULD modify any theme and WT already responded to that.
Okay, hopefully WT will inform us on how to use the Assembler script with any user theme then.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:52 AM   #458
vitalker

Quote:
Okay, hopefully WT will inform us on how to use the Assembler script with any user theme then.

Thanks.
He already did. That's what I am saying:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=445
Old 02-22-2023, 10:36 AM   #459
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

The theme Adjuster can modify any theme.

Adjuster
Adjuster
Adjuster
Adjuster

This is the Theme Assembler. Perhaps one day : theme arranger, theme advancer, theme avenger, theme assuager, theme asgardian, thang awangawoo.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:37 AM   #460
vitalker

Quote:

This is the Theme Assembler. Perhaps one day : theme arranger, theme advancer, theme avenger, theme assuager, theme asgardian, thang awangawoo.
Theme Whitetier.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:39 AM   #461
Judders

Quote:
He already did. That's what I am saying:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=445
You mean manually replacing image files?

That's a very loose interpretation of using a script!
Old 02-22-2023, 10:41 AM   #462
vitalker

Quote:
You mean manually replacing image files?

That's a very loose interpretation of using a script!
OMG
Old 02-22-2023, 10:48 AM   #463
Judders

Quote:
The theme Adjuster can modify any theme.

Adjuster
Adjuster
Adjuster
Adjuster

So, just for the sake of my sanity; you are saying that the last paragraph of this post is incorrect, in the context of Pitchslap wishing the Assembler worked with any theme?

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=440
Old 02-22-2023, 10:57 AM   #464
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Yes, he mistyped. The Theme Adjuster not Assembler, of which this is to my knowledge the only one. The standard v6 theme adjuster can work with any theme set up to listen (such as the v5 theme), other people have done reskins of the v6 theme adjuster, and most excitingly there have been some from-scratch theme adjusters too, IIRC.
Old 02-22-2023, 11:01 AM   #465
Judders

Quote:
Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Yes, he mistyped. The Theme Adjuster not Assembler, of which this is to my knowledge the only one. The standard v6 theme adjuster can work with any theme set up to listen (such as the v5 theme), other people have done reskins of the v6 theme adjuster, and most excitingly there have been some from-scratch theme adjusters too, IIRC.
THANK YOU!

That is all I was asking.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:27 PM   #466
oneammonday

But, Who is on first base?
oneammonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:10 AM   #467
X-Raym

@judders
I'm sorry for the confusion, but again, I was just answering this simple statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders
I doubt it would be possible to write a script to modify user themes.
This sentence implies that no script can modify themes. No matter the script, no matter the theme.

So I just linked to an article were several were listed. I admit this was uncessary cause we already are on a thread where a script modify a theme, but I suspected there was an implicit "no script but this one on default theme".

Though there are conditions for these scripts to modify a theme (main conditions being that this theme should be based on REAPER v6 one).
Maybe there are special limitation of theme assembler compared to theme adjuster, but I was speaking about "script to modify user themes." in general.

I am sorry this misunderstanding flood the thread though, I was just praising WT work and highlithing we have some ReaScripts able to modify some theme in some way. Thats about it ^^

@WhiteTie
Oh yes I didnt mean outdated as obsolete, that is why I precised

Quote:
a bit outdated cause it doesn't mention recent features(...)[it's] still relevant

but maybe "outdated" implies that some infos are wrong, and it is not the case as far as I know.

I have edited the paragraph to soften my statement :P
Old 02-23-2023, 09:25 AM   #468
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Thanks
Old 02-23-2023, 10:51 AM   #469
Judders

Quote:
@judders
I'm sorry for the confusion, but again, I was just answering this simple statement

This sentence implies that no script can modify themes. No matter the script, no matter the theme.

So I just linked to an article were several were listed. I admit this was uncessary cause we already are on a thread where a script modify a theme, but I suspected there was an implicit "no script but this one on default theme".

Though there are conditions for these scripts to modify a theme (main conditions being that this theme should be based on REAPER v6 one).
Maybe there are special limitation of theme assembler compared to theme adjuster, but I was speaking about "script to modify user themes." in general.

I am sorry this misunderstanding flood the thread though, I was just praising WT work and highlithing we have some ReaScripts able to modify some theme in some way. Thats about it ^^

@WhiteTie
Oh yes I didnt mean outdated as obsolete, that is why I precised

but maybe "outdated" implies that some infos are wrong, and it is not the case as far as I know.

I have edited the paragraph to soften my statement :P
No problem, it was just a misunderstanding. I was specifically talking about the script that this thread is about, that swaps graphical elements with a graphic interface and answering Pitchslap's post.

I get where the confusion came from now so it's all good and we can get back to talking about White Tie's awesome Assembler.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:59 AM   #470
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I'm probably changing its name to Thang Awangawoo. Because that's better, obvs.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:25 AM   #471
oneammonday

I completely dig Thang Awangawoo. Oooo, band name!
oneammonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:17 PM   #472
Stevie

Hay White Tie! Does change log of this script is exist somewhere?
Old 02-23-2023, 01:41 PM   #473
Stevie

I'm basically trying to understand when updates is out, and how to be up to date
Old 02-24-2023, 09:37 AM   #474
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I suppose the change log is this thread. Latest version is always the one linked in post #1.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:38 AM   #475
SleepGardens

Is there any way to change the postion and size of the FX shown in the TCP within an Assembled Theme? Sorry if the question is dumb or it was already answered!
SleepGardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:17 AM   #476
bluedoorstudios

Love this! One issue the phase button on my mixer disappears when I click it after using this script. Any way to fix that?
bluedoorstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:23 AM   #477
DrKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedoorstudios View Post
Love this! One issue the phase button on my mixer disappears when I click it after using this script. Any way to fix that?
Yes, I noticed this too. I'll try to reproduce it tonight or tomorrow. Also, the monitoring icon on the TCP goes the wrong size when I do something that I can't remember and will also try to reproduce soon.

White Tie, thank you for this most excellent tool. I really appreciate the work you've done and it has reignited my desire for all kinds of theming-related things. I went down the "learning about fonts" (grotesque, humanist, geometric) and the "lets compare a bazillion themes and old consoles and see what makes things I like" rabbit holes this week. And it's been a real fun time.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:04 PM   #478
Jessy

Quote:
With my Default V6 Modders' Supplies you've been able to choose from a selection of different elements to make your own mod theme based on the Default 6. Next step onward from that has been to radically increase the range of options and make it straightforward for ordinary users to choose and apply them. So, here is the initial offering of:

Theme Assembler

It is a script I have written that shows how the various options look, and automates the copying of the files into its own theme called 'Assembled_Theme' and updates it, in real time. It can also do some more complex stuff than that, like rewrite values in the rtconfig file (it will do more of that in future) but the key thing is that you don't need to understand what any of that means ...just point and click:

The script itself is very much a work in progress, but the theme it outputs is a fully functional Reaper theme based on the Default 6 theme, with complete 100%, 150% and 200% HiDPI support throughout and the usual theme adjuster.

Instructions

- Download THIS.

- Choose Options > Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder. Extract content of the zip (the 'theme_assembler.lua' file AND the 'theme_assembler' folder) into the 'scripts' folder there.

- Choose Actions > Show action list. In the bottom right choose New action > Load ReaScript. Choose theme_assembler.lua and click Open.

- In the actions list you'll now see Script: theme_assembler.lua. Choose it and click Run.

- First time you run the script, it will ask "Assembled theme not found. Create theme?" Click OK

- Click an element to see what choices there are, click a choice and the script will copy the files over and refresh the theme.

And that's it. Everything it does is just a change to the completely normal 'assembled_theme' that you will find in your color themes folder if you want to have a look, and you can rename that theme and mess with it further if you know how themes work.

If you come up with a combination you like, please do share a screenshot, it'll be fun to see what's working and what direction I should take more elements in!

--------------

Instructions are shown here if you don't like reading:

...thanks Reaperblog!

--------------

Current state (theme_assembler_0110)

• The script should not misbehave at all, but in use it may appear pretty janky in places at this point, and its appearance is entirely placeholder to get the functionality working. I'm still new to this coding thing.
  • I've only done some of the elements. I'm never going to do all the elements.
  • Something weird going on with some of the shadows.
  • Limited range of choices, particularly for some elements, at this point. I'll just keep adding stuff as and when I feel the urge.
  • Some of the light background record arm buttons look bad.
Ok, I like everything I saw and all but I have this nagging confusion about how to download the latest and greatest version.
The latest link I found was for version ~0500 but apparently, the latest release is ~1100 something.

Is it part of ReaPack or SWS extensions?
Will it be?
I am wondering if there is a nice constant (public) GitHub repo and the associated link I (we) can use to download or fork from.
In either of those cases keeping up with the updates will be very useful.
Looking forward to hearing from you guys!
Jessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:12 AM   #479
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

The link is in post #1
Old 04-04-2023, 07:39 AM   #480
Jessy

Quote:
The link is in post #1
The first link gets me to another thread. The second lets me download theme_assembler_0110.zip which if I understand right should be the very first version.
Am I the only one who is confused about this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-04-04 153306.jpg (68.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-04-04 153313.jpg (76.5 KB, 53 views)
Jessy is offline   Reply With Quote