Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-01-2023, 03:18 PM   #1
Astronomytwin
Human being with feelings

Default Same VST is incompatible between devices

I use both a desktop pc and laptop (both Windows) and usually have no problems transferring projects from one to another.

However, whenever I try to load Spitfire Audios BBC Symphonic Orchestra plug-in I consistently get the "The following plug-in could not be loaded" error.

This happens whenever I load BBCSO on one device, and then move that project to the other device and try to load it there, essentially for some reason despite having the same version and file pathways my devices won't register BBCSO if it was originally loaded from the other device.

I tried contacting Spitfire Audio support about this but we we're unable to find a problem on that end, so I'm assuming this is something to do with Reaper.

This problem has made working on the same project between devices essentially impossible or otherwise incredibly tedious if I'm using BBCSO, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: png error.PNG (10.3 KB, 60 views)
Astronomytwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 03:50 PM   #2
nait

Since this is VST3 (error says VST3i), and not VST2, can you verify that for sure the .vst3 for this BBC Symphony Orchestra is sitting in "c:\program files\common files\vst3" (default VST3 location on Windows), or some other location?

If you for sure see it there, the next thing I would do is check under preferences->Plugins->VST and then hit Re-scan and then check "Plugins that failed to scan" (I'm going by memory here, so pardon me if this isn't 100% right) and see if the BBC plugin is listed. If it IS... it hasn't loaded on this PC properly. Try uninstalling/reinstalling as first step.

If it's not listed here, and you verified that it is located somewhere on your PC.. check that the path to it is actually added to Reaper properly in this same screen.

If it's there, check to see if you can load the plugin in a blank project. If you can load it, check the versions are the same (or at least the same "major" version - 2.x and 2.x, for example). I know you did mention the versions are the same, though, so this shouldn't be it. But it should be noted they both have to be the same VST version (i.e. both VST2 or both VST3) but possibly also similar file versions.

After doing all of this you still have problems, please advise what the results of all the above steps were (ex., do you see it in the list of failed to scan stuff?)
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 04-01-2023 at 03:59 PM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:30 PM   #3
richie43

Are you for sure using the VST3 version on both machines. I actually had this same issue with the same plugin, and I had installed the VST2 version on one of the computers.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:37 PM   #4
Astronomytwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
and I had installed the VST2 version on one of the computers.
Thanks for the suggestion, it seems that both BBC Symphony Orchestra files are .vst3
Old 04-02-2023, 08:42 PM   #5
Astronomytwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
After doing all of this you still have problems, please advise what the results of all the above steps were (ex., do you see it in the list of failed to scan stuff?)
I double checked everything and I can confirm that

1. Spitfire Audio is updated to version 3.4.4 on both devices*

2. The plug-in does not show up under the rescan failed vst tab

3. Both are .vst3 file type

4. Reaper has C:/Program Files/Common Files/VST3 listed in the plug in paths for both devices.

5. "BBC Symphony Orchestra (64 Bit).vst3 is located at the plug-in path for both devices

The main drive for the devices does differ, with one being "SSD(C: )" and the other being "Local Disk (C: )/" but I imagine that shouldn't be an issue.

* I say Spitfire Audio is updated, but I don't know if that means that BBC Symphonic Orchestra is also updated, I can't find anything that would insinuate that though.

Last edited by Astronomytwin; 04-02-2023 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 06:23 AM   #6
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomytwin View Post

The main drive for the devices does differ, with one being "SSD(C: )" and the other being "Local Disk (C: )/" but I imagine that shouldn't be an issue.
Have you made sure that the different installations of Reaper are scanning the path that pertains to each machine? I am wondering if you have tried to streamline your installations in the hopes of making them "the same", and in doing so, one has the scan path that does not relate to the actual location. Just a thought.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:07 PM   #7
Astronomytwin

Quote:
Have you made sure that the different installations of Reaper are scanning the path that pertains to each machine?
They should be correct, although I realized something that might be complicating the situation.

I don't know why I did this, but I created a separate install folder for BBCSO on both devices within (C: )/Users/BBCSO/, this pathway is the same for both devices and included in Reaper's scan but I wonder if its part of the problem.

Do you know where these folders would typically install by default? Maybe moving them there could fix something.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:58 AM   #8
richie43

I wonder if it's a Windows permission problem, since you have them on the OS drive. Do you have another partition or hard drive you can install to?
Old 04-05-2023, 07:04 AM   #9
Astronomytwin

Quote:
Do you have another partition or hard drive you can install to?
I do but I'd prefer to have the files on my SSD for the sake of loading times (unless that doesn't actually apply in this situation). I noticed while moving the files out of Users that it required admin permission, so you might be on to something with that.
I didn't have time to re-locate the files on both devices though, so I'll test that later today.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:29 AM   #10
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomytwin View Post
I do but I'd prefer to have the files on my SSD for the sake of loading times (unless that doesn't actually apply in this situation). I noticed while moving the files out of Users that it required admin permission, so you might be on to something with that.
I didn't have time to re-locate the files on both devices though, so I'll test that later today.
If it were me in this situation, I would try changing the permissions on the folders instead of relocating. But that comes with some "risk" and some nerdy trickery, but I am techy nerdy and know how to deal with the "risks" (that are not even risks if you are savvy with computers).
Old 04-05-2023, 07:43 AM   #11
Rednroll

I've found this can happen if the sound library is registered on one PC but had an unsuccessful registration on the other. Are you using the Kontakt verion of Symphonic Orchestra? If so, you may want to try launching the standalone Kontakt and confirm the library is working in both Kontakts. I'm also aware Spit Fire recently released non Kontakt versions of their libraries, unsure if that includes a standalone app version like Kontakt but would be same approach if so. The standalone's can often provide additional information for the reason a library is not working. In my experience, it has typically always boiled down to an unsuccessful registration or a different file path location than what was originally registered. Trying a different host to try out the library in that host has always eliminated the suspicion that it is Reaper at fault. Good ole copy protection, always there to keep you from harming yourself and doing what you want in your setup.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-05-2023 at 07:49 AM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:24 PM   #12
Astronomytwin

Quote:
I would try changing the permissions on the folders instead of relocating.
Ah ok, do you think you could walk me through that or link a good tutorial for what I need to do?

Also, I went ahead and tested a new file path on both devices and no dice.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:29 PM   #13
Astronomytwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
I've found this can happen if the sound library is registered on one PC but had an unsuccessful registration on the other.
I never considered a registration issue, could you go into more detail on how I could determine if that's the problem, and if so, how I might be able to fix it?

Also for context, I believe I'm using BBCSO through Spitfire Audio's standalone app.