Old 01-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
jamie rustic
Human being with feelings

Default new workstation optimization

hello:

i a fortunate enough be be in the process of upgrading all of the recording components in my studio- new cpu and coverter connection. my old gear was really getting older and wasnt performing comparably to other more current systems. the new system will be eight-core (sixteen threads) with 32gb dram with the interface connection running over asio on thunderbolt2. my daw software going forward is reaper x64.

my concern is in optimizing the daw software and, potentially, the os. the old system ran as well as it could under the old configuration, but i dont think that can possibly be suited for the new hardware. i hope some folks may have input on how to baseline and optimize the new system, perhaps from scratch.

here are the questions that immediately jump out at me:

* does it make sense to start with the base configuration of daw install and modify from there? is this the best practice?
* which are the parameters that are most critical to adjust? in what order/how are these best adjusted?
* is there tool or toolset that can analyze configuration and help suggest tweaks?

thanks very much! jr
jamie rustic is offline   Reply With Quote